"Fattening" antiX and no systemd

asqwerth
Developer

Re: "Fattening" antiX and no systemd

#31 Post by asqwerth »

I did run a test VM of antix 16 with XFCE some time ago, although I've now deleted it. Somewhere in this forum (although I can't find it now) is probably a screenshot of what I did.

I added the arc theme and Papirus icons to get a look similar to MX. Also added the Update-notifier, but it didn't seem to work reliably to show updates. I think it was the cron settings for the timing for update checks, since the VM is not started up most of the time. I know that if I did a sudo apt-get update, the notifier would light up green if updates were detected.

I enabled MX's repos only on a temporary basis, only installing the UPdater and CheckGPG keys tools. Mostly I just used the antiX repos and Control Centre.

It was fine except that once in a while there would be some quirks in the sizing of the VM, or full-screen display wouldn't stick, and I think it was because the guest-additions iso in antix was not updated on the same timescale/frequency as MX's guest additions, and I might have confused matters (can't recall now) by mounting MX's guest additions to the antiX VM and running the script early on in the life of the VM.

Anyway, my interest in the the test VM kind of died out once I knew I could get something MX-like going on antiX (I used the full image) if I really wanted to. Plus the occasional loss of full-size window was inconvenient. That's why I deleted it.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

manyroads

Re: "Fattening" antiX and no systemd

#32 Post by manyroads »

asqwerth wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:54 am
figueroa wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:46 am
I think you are right. A long-term live-usb or frugal install of Gentoo or LFS doesn't make sense. The storage and hard drive thrashing requirements are hight because of the need to be regularly be compiling from source to stay up-to-date. For a frugal or live-usb, for now, antiX and MX seem to be the best and very solid choices.
That's the thing, isn't it? No single distro is going to be the perfect distro for every single use case and user.

And even if you decide a distro is the best for a particular use, there might still be a few things about the distro you wish you could change or improve on.
@asqwerth... all this is reinforced by the following adage: "the best thing about Linux is you can do "anything" want; but the downside of Linux is you can do "anything" you want" :bagoverhead:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “antiX”