"Minimal Xfce" option

Artim

"Minimal Xfce" option

#1 Post by Artim »

Hi!

Last time I installed antiX on an old 32-bit machine I saw an option to add a minimal Xfce desktop. I didn't do it at the time, but I've thought about having a totally systemd-free version of MX if there could be such a thing... having no systemd at all anywhere, not even as a dependency. Could that be done using the "add minimal Xfce" option to antiX and would I still have all the cool MX tools?

I did search around the Wiki and I did look around for community respins, and I'm sure I'm not the first or only one hoping to achieve such a thing. Can it be done?

skidoo

Re: "Minimal Xfce" option

#2 Post by skidoo »

There's currently no antiX click-a-button "add minimal Xfce" option. Maybe you had seen that in an experimental (antiX14 b3) release?

antiX repositories won't have the MX Tools, so you would need to sort out: which repo(s) can be used successfully in tandem.
Probably all of the Qt5 components utilized by the various MX Tools are available to (but not pre-installed in) antiX.
If you decide to be a trailblazer by experimenting with this mix-n-match, keep copious notes so that others may follow, eh.

ps:
Ahead of time, you should get familiar with the documentation for apt pinning (apt mark) and advanced apt preferences configuration.
You'll probably need to mark "always prefer version from (mxrepo)" for the MX Tools pkgs and their Qt5 et al dependent pkgs.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle »

skidoo wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:02 pm There's currently no antiX click-a-button "add minimal Xfce" option. Maybe you had seen that in an experimental (antiX14 b3) release?

antiX repositories won't have the MX Tools, so you would need to sort out: which repo(s) can be used successfully in tandem.
Probably all of the Qt5 components utilized by the various MX Tools are available to (but not pre-installed in) antiX.
If you decide to be a trailblazer by experimenting with this mix-n-match, keep copious notes so that others may follow, eh.

ps:
Ahead of time, you should get familiar with the documentation for apt pinning (apt mark) and advanced apt preferences configuration.
You'll probably need to mark "always prefer version from (mxrepo)" for the MX Tools pkgs and their Qt5 et al dependent pkgs.
actually a large number of the "mx-tools" have antiX counterparts already, they just don't have the MX name attached.

iso-snapshot
live-usb-maker-gui-antiX
Package Installer (only the popular apps tab, which has minimal Xfce under Desktop Environments)
ddm-mx (nvidia-installer)
boot-repair
codecs-installer
repo-manager

are pre-installed on the antiX 17.3.1 "full" iso.

and the updater (apt-notifier) and idevice-mounter are available in Package Installer->Utilities.

even the installers are the same, although with a different distro-specific data package attached for themeing and a few distro-specific behind-the-scenes type pieces.

So you could get very close just putting Xfce on top of antiX now (which is what I used to do before MX).
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Artim

#4 Post by Artim »

It wasn't during installation but afterwards during setup... I'm not very technologically minded, so perhaps I am reaching too far for me.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#5 Post by rokytnji.1 »

There's currently no antiX click-a-button "add minimal Xfce" option. Maybe you had seen that in an experimental (antiX14 b3) release?
Made me look. :happy:

If I was to approach this thread topic with my style.
I would grab a large usb drive.
Run my clueless experiment on a live persistent install.

If it breaks. No harm no foul. Reinstall experience is good experience also.

Artim

#6 Post by Artim »

Thanks @rokytnji.1 very much! I'll go for it. What I'm hoping to accomplish is an Xfce OS that is completely totally absolutely and certifiably systemd-free distro without even the suggestion of systemd even as a dependency. But not Devuan, not Slackware. Just for grins and giggles. The funny thing is, I don't even care that much about systemd, I can take it or leave it, personally. But I have some paranoid friends on Diaspora that love Debian but refuse to use it now because of systemd.

And besides, it can't hurt for technophobic Baku boy to explore a little more deeply.

skidoo

#7 Post by skidoo »

Good catch, roky!

dphn

#8 Post by dphn »

what makes this option in antiX?

apt-get install xfce4?
for those with an eye for the finer details...

skidoo

#9 Post by skidoo »

To open the packageinstaller in antiX (as seen in roky's screenshot):
sudo packageinstaller

Jerry3904
Administrator

#10 Post by Jerry3904 »

And besides, it can't hurt for technophobic Baku boy to explore a little more deeply.
From Baku or in Baku? We just added a mirror in Baku...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Return to “antiX”