How to locate software packages in antiX repos

seaken64

How to locate software packages in antiX repos

#1 Post by seaken64 »

Over the past few weeks I was gently corrected about how to only use the Package Manager tools in MX to install software from the test repos and not leave the test repos enabled. I had an antiX install get wrecked because I left some repos enabled that shouldn't have been enabled when I ran a dist-upgrade.

After learning the correct procedures I re-installed the latest Jessie based antiX-16.3 on one of my old computers. I have it mostly set up but there are a couple of packages that I am struggling with.

After I installed antiX-16.3 I ran the update and dist-upgrade and then looked at the versions of SMPlayer and Streamtuner2 that were installed. Both of these programs are not the latest versions and I would like to upgrade them to the latest. I used the Control Center in antiX to open the repo lists and enabled the antixlinux.com/testing repo and then saved the file and re-ran the update and tried to install SMPLayer and Streamtuner2. This did not install the latest versions. (I then went back and disabled the testing repo).

So I am wondering how I can get to know what packages are in a particular repo? There must be a list on my system after running the update but where do I look at it? And do I have to scan the entire list to read what programs are available or can I do a search for "smplayer" on each repo?

If SMPlayer is not in the antixlinux.com/testing repo maybe it's in some other repo supported by antiX 16?

I found a nice list for MX Community Repos but I cannot find a similar list for antiX. Does such a list exist? If not, how will I install these packages?

Previously I had downloaded the .deb files and used gdebi. But I am not sure if that may have contributed to some of the problems I had with that system. I want to make sure I do this right.

So, can I install the latest SMPlayer and Streamtuner2 in antiX-16.3? (I have these programs upgraded to the latest in antiX-17 but how do I do it in 16 if they are not in the default repos on the lists in antix-16?)

Thank you,
Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

Stevo
Developer

Re: How to locate software packages in antiX repos

#2 Post by Stevo »

I build the latest SMPlayer for the MX 15 main repo on a vanilla Stretch platform, so it will be compatible with antiX 16.

This will help you find that out: https://repology.org/metapackage/smplayer/versions
You can directly download and install the single deb. If you'd like a newer mpv to use as the backend for it...

https://repology.org/metapackage/mpv/versions

IDK about streamtuner2, repology doesn't show it in antiX repos, just Debian--I'll see if it builds on the Jessie base.

seaken64

#3 Post by seaken64 »

repology? What is that?

Jerry3904
Administrator

#4 Post by Jerry3904 »

Web search! "What is repology?"
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Or just check out the links I provided. Or go to repology.org.

Streamtuner 2.2.1 backports to a Jessie base, so here's MX 15 along with MX 17 packages. You'll need to install the python3-pyquery deb in the pyquery folder first for a Jessie base--Stretch already has it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rSUyh ... zWy92tiatr

seaken64

#6 Post by seaken64 »

Yes, thank you both. I wasn't paying attention, watching TV at the same time. But I did click on the links and found out what repology was. (I hadn't noticed that it was in the URL's yet when I said what is that? Not too good at multi-tasking, right?)

So is this the accepted tool for finding out what packages are in what repos? And if I find that a package I want to use is not in the antiX repos I should ask here on the forum to see if anyone would be willing to package it for the repos? I noticed a few topics on this forum on that subject.

One more question (I'm sorry for being so ignorant. I've read the manuals and wiki but I just didn't learn how this all works) - How do I know that a package in a MX repo will work in antiX. For instance, Stevo said the SMPlayer package in MX-15 will work with my antiX-16. I'm not sure how I can find that out, short of being told here on the forum.

Thanks,
Seaken64

Stevo
Developer

#7 Post by Stevo »

You use

Edited to correct command for Jessie:

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy <package>
in the terminal to find out what's available in your current repositories. I use repology to see what's in other distros' repositories. For the most part, MX 15 program packages are going to be compatible with antiX 16, being built on the same Jessie base.

A program developer may also provide their own repositories or deb files, though support for Jessie is fading away. The SMPlayer developer maintains his own set of repositories on the openSUSE Build Service:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... v/smplayer

and I also have it in a multimedia backports repository on the OBS for Jessie.

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... evepassert

Edit: streamtuner2 packages now added to my OBS repo for Jessie and Stretch.
Last edited by Stevo on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seaken64

#8 Post by seaken64 »

I tried

sudo apt policy smplayer

and

apt policy smplayer

All I get back is

E: Invalid operation policy

seaken64

#9 Post by seaken64 »

I entered

apt policy --help

policy is not on the list of commands

but we have "list", "search" and "show"

seaken64

#10 Post by seaken64 »

I think I'm heading in the right direction. I figured out that Synaptic can be useful for enabling and disabling repos fairly easily. I can then search and look at the list for the versions available.

I did this with the mxrepo MX-15 main and then updated and found smplayer was listed with the latest available and then I selected to mark it for upgrade and it installed SMPlayer version 18.10.

But I would not have got this far without your help and pointing me to the repology site, where i could see the repos that my desired package could be found. After I got that info I checked my package lists and found that the repo I wanted was included on the list that was installed with antiX-16, although disabled by default. I enabled it, installed the package, then disabled it again, as I was previously reminded to do by this forum.

I must say this was easier in MX and I feel much more comfortable with the results when I use the MXPI. But antiX does not have that tool. Synaptic works but it is still mostly a manual process and a little unclear as to what repos to use. And how do I install a package that does not show on repology as included in a package I have listed in antiX-16 (apart from getting the package directly from Stevo - thanks).

Seaken64

Return to “antiX”