How to locate software packages in antiX repos

seaken64

Re: How to locate software packages in antiX repos

#21 Post by seaken64 »

cyrilus31 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:33 am @seaken : Just curious...As you made a complete installation, why did you choose antiX 16 instead of the latest version?
Ahh, well I wondered that myself! Actually, I had an old antiX-14 (pre-antiX-15 release) on this old P-III machine and it was working fine until I accidentally borked it (story in another thread). So, I decided to start over and I was going to redo it with the proper antiX-15 but anticapitalista suggested that if I wanted to stay with Jessie I should just use 16.3. I did that, as I wanted to start this machine off with a working Jessie based system.

I would have skipped up to antiX-17 except I don't have a DVD on this old machine nor a working USB for booting antiX-17. So, antiX-16 it is. It is working and it is a step up from the original antiX-14. Not sure if I will attempt 17 on this later or not. I have other P-III and P-4 computers that antiX-17 are on.

So, if I am understanding I could have chose "testing" at install and would have essentially ended up with a rolling release of Buster. I may try that later. But I'm still learning about how to setup Debian stable and don't need the headaches yet.

Seaken64
MX21-64 XFCE & W11 on Lenovo 330S LT. MX21-KDE & MX21-XFCE on Live USB.
MX18-64 & W7, Fedora on HP Core2 DT
MX21-32 XFCE w/ MX-Fluxbox on P4HT DT w/ antiX21, SUSE Tumbleweed, Q4OS, WXP
antiX21 on Compaq PIII 1 Ghz DT, w/ Debian, MX18FB, W2K

seaken64

#22 Post by seaken64 »

Thanks again for the help. I was able to find and install the software I wanted for this antiX-16 system. I ended up enabling the MX-15 main repo to install the SMPlayer package according to Stevo's help and his pointing out the repology site. I ended up downloading the streamtuner2 deb files from Stevo's link and copied them over the the antiX-16 machine and installed them using gdebi.

And I did not enable any Debian repos, especially testing, as instructed (again). And I disabled the MX-15 main repo after I got the package I wanted.

So, for any other newbies following along the correct procedure for antiX is to ask for help with the particular package, enable the antiX or MX repo, install, then disable the repo after installation. Don't download a deb file or enable a foreign repo unless you are directed by someone who knows what they are doing. This is not as easy as with MX but it works. And it is also easier with the current stable instead of an old stable or unsupported generation.

Seaken64

cyrilus31

#23 Post by cyrilus31 »

Good to know you were finally able to find the solution. And that you cherish your old PIII :D
My next install of antiX will be with testing, I think.

Stevo
Developer

#24 Post by Stevo »

Whoops, I gave the Stretch "apt policy" command. In Jessie and earlier, you need to use

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy <package>
You might want to add my OBS repo for Jessie, now that I have also added streamtuner2 to it. That way, you'll get SMPlayer and streamtuner2 updates as I add them. In fact, since I version those as "~obs" instead of "~mx15..", the OBS versions will appear to be updates.

Run these commands as root to add the repo and its key, then update the package list:

Code: Select all

echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevepassert/Debian_8.0/ /' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/home:stevepassert.list

rm -f Release.key && wget -nv https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:stevepassert/Debian_8.0/Release.key -O Release.key && apt-key add - < Release.key && rm -f Release.key

apt-get update
There's a lot of other upgradeable multimedia and graphics programs in that repo, so you might want to take a look at them before upgrading them all at once, though it should be safe to do.

caprea

#25 Post by caprea »

Stevo, maybe I'm wrong, but there's one problem I can imagine when enabling the OBS repo would not be safe for antiX.
The possibility that one of the packages depends on libsystemd.Don't forget, antiX is completely systemd free and has a special nosystemd-repo.

Stevo
Developer

#26 Post by Stevo »

They won't install if they need libsystemd, then. I don't have systemd itself in the repo.

seaken64

#27 Post by seaken64 »

cyrilus31 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:06 pm Good to know you were finally able to find the solution. And that you cherish your old PIII :D
My next install of antiX will be with testing, I think.
Thanks cyrilus31,

I have several old computers, most came as hand-me-downs from our business and some from the dump, and some from friends or acquaintances who know I like old computers. I have a few set up with old DOS, OS/2 or Win9x operating systems. The Pentium 3's usually get Win9SE/ME or Win2000, and Linux. I have found antiX to be the best Linux. I also had some success with Vector Linux (Slackware) and some Puppies. But I like antiX (and Debian) the best.

Yes, I just embarked on that same path today (the Debian testing option). I figure it will be a good experiment and a good learning experiences.

Seaken64

seaken64

#28 Post by seaken64 »

Stevo, I know there is a forum topic somewhere here for giving you feedback on packages in the test repo. Does this apply to the streamtuner2 package? I downloaded that from your link but I was not sure if you have it in the MX test repo for comments.

Seaken64

Stevo
Developer

#29 Post by Stevo »

seaken64 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:41 pm Stevo, I know there is a forum topic somewhere here for giving you feedback on packages in the test repo. Does this apply to the streamtuner2 package? I downloaded that from your link but I was not sure if you have it in the MX test repo for comments.

Seaken64
I haven't started threads for MX 17 and MX 15 versions yet, but will now.

Return to “antiX”