MX-Antix Hybrid System

linuxsociety

MX-Antix Hybrid System

#1 Post by linuxsociety »

I've been tinkering with an install that originally was MX-18, but now is a hybrid of AntiX and MX. I know that some people may feel like MX is AntiX already. Well that's not really the case. With this scenario I have achieved a 100% systemd free system that uses eudev instead of udev (no logind, systemd, udev, systemd-shim etc). I've not got any broken dependencies and my default desktop environment is XFCE. As far as I can tell everything hardware wise is working perfect.

I'm not posting this to cause an uproar or anything like that, I'm mainly just wanting opinions of others about what could be improved on the MX series and how to create another option for MX / AntiX users alike. I know that I personally like tools and features from both of the OS's but in standard installs you can't really have the best of both worlds due to conflicting dependencies and the fact that MX is not 100% free of systemd. Would love to hear others view on this subject.

Thanks guys!

manyroads

Re: MX-Antix Hybrid System

#2 Post by manyroads »

You may wish to provide a clean snapshot of your system for others to review & test.... Just a thought.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

linuxsociety

#3 Post by linuxsociety »

Yes I'll probably get to that as I see some public interest. I have very low quality bandwidth at home, I live in the sticks of Kentucky :) Anyways I would love to gather some people together to possibly collaborate on a fork and/or contributing to the core distributions (Antix and MX).

Fibogacci

#4 Post by Fibogacci »

It's always interesting to try and experiment with something new ;)

Maybe you could create a torrent for that snapshot?

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-to ... nsmission/
https://torrentfreak.com/how-to-create-a-torrent/
MX-18 Continuum x86_64: laptop Dell Inspiron N7110, Intel Core i5-2410M @ 2.900GHz, 4GB RAM, Kernel: 4.19, DE: Xfce

linuxsociety

#5 Post by linuxsociety »

I'd be better off to just upload a snapshot somewhere than to use a torrent since the whole reason I'm not jumping right into it right now is because it will take all night and part of the morning to just upload the snapshot. If I were to use a torrent I'd at a very minimum need to seed to 100% to at least one person and then they'd also need to do the same. I'll try to get all my ducks in a row and take the laptop somewhere I can at least get a few mbps upload and I'll share a live usb snapshot. I'm not sure when it will be, and I'm also working on a few cosmetic things like getting a nice splash image since it won't be using plymouth, and I've replaced lightdm with slim. So far little minor things like that are the only things that I've noticed that actually need improvement or just implemented.

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

Upload your ISO to archive.org as "Community Software", and it will automatically create and seed a torrent for you, as well as allow direct downloads without any captchas or delays. It's free, legit, and not shady at all.

I put the MX ISOs there: https://archive.org/details/MX18X64

Just upload some screenshots with the ISO if you want archive.org to make a slideshow from them automatically.

KoO

#7 Post by KoO »

Stevo Thanks

So where does the antiX bit come into the system.

Why is it called MX18X64 maybe antiX18MX64 or MX18-anitX64

The kernel =Kernel 4.20.0-antix.1-amd64-smp ?

This going on my system or USB live..

1.3gb typical snapshot size =3mb download speed nice server
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

anticapitalista
Developer

#8 Post by anticapitalista »

antiX not Antix please - good luck with your project.

Have you also installed elogind? Its a replacement for logind and lib-pam systemd stuff
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

linuxsociety

#9 Post by linuxsociety »

yes I've got elogind and libelogind0 replacing the systemd-logind sorry didn't mean to call it 'Antix instead of antiX'

Stevo
Developer

#10 Post by Stevo »

KoO wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:36 pm Stevo Thanks

So where does the antiX bit come into the system.

Why is it called MX18X64 maybe antiX18MX64 or MX18-anitX64

The kernel =Kernel 4.20.0-antix.1-amd64-smp ?

This going on my system or USB live..

1.3gb typical snapshot size =3mb download speed nice server
I never said my MX uploads had anything to do with antiX at all. I only provided a link for an example to show what I did on archive.org. My uploads are exactly the same as the official MX 18 releases, and are just an alternative download site.
Last edited by Stevo on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “antiX”