Antix 17.x Graphical Installer

fehlix
Developer

Re: Antix 17.x Graphical Installer

#11 Post by fehlix »

You wrote:
mickb wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:58 am I want to dual boot with MX18 and Antix but couldn't get the graphical installer or live Antix OS to show up on the live CD.
and
mickb wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:12 pm There's no change using the live-usb maker tool.
Still not clear for me what you mean: You have clicked on the installer and what? Nothing happend?
You mentioned "live CD", this might be that it takes very long to load the installer from the CD.
What about running with "toram" option, as you have 4GB RAM.
With toram it loads the whol sytem in to the RAM, and and when running the system is very fast, you should not have any timeout.
Simply select "text menus", select your locale, locacation, timezone and within addtional options select "toram".
BTW: I have just installed antIX onto an eMMC enabled notebook, without an issues.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

mickb

#12 Post by mickb »

That's odd that I got the graphic installer for MX-17 and 18 but not for antiX 16/17. Here it is. Thanks.

Graphics: Device-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 600 (Geminilake 2x6) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.6

mickb

#13 Post by mickb »

fehlix: it's actually a live usb. I only got the cli options, not the graphical installer after the the live usb was done loaded up. Ideally I just want the OS loaded up (I assume into RAM) on the live usb stick to check things out before installation. Graphical installation is best for me since I am not comfortable with cli. Thanks.

fehlix
Developer

#14 Post by fehlix »

mickb wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:21 pm fehlix: it's actually a live usb. I only got the cli options, not the graphical installer after the the live usb was done loaded up. Ideally I just want the OS loaded up (I assume into RAM) on the live usb stick to check things out before installation. Graphical installation is best for me since I am not comfortable with cli. Thanks.
So you are saying, you are booted into the text-console not into any GUI ( X-enviroment)?
Or are you saying: You booted int X-GUI , but the graphical installer does not start and you can only run the installer from terminal in texmode?
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

mickb

#15 Post by mickb »

The first selection screen is graphical:

antiX-17.3.1 x64-full (27 December 2018)
antiX-17.3.1 x64-full Customized Boot (text menus)
>>>Advanced Options for antiX-17.3.1 x64-full <<<
Memory Test (64-bit UEFI)

Once the selection was made, all I got was text selection for cli options, for installation, i.e., couldn't even get to test drive the OS.

anticapitalista
Developer

#16 Post by anticapitalista »

What exactly did you do once the selection (which?) was made?
You're not really helping us much so it is really hard to help you.

I suggest you move the cursor at that screen to the top option.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

mickb

#17 Post by mickb »

Anticapitalista, please see post#9. None of the options took me to the graphical installation screen. Only with this netbook, I never had this problem with antiX14/15 and my old Asus eee, which just died. Thanks.

skidoo

#18 Post by skidoo »

{thinking cap}

mickb

#19 Post by mickb »

Since you're putting on your thinking cap, I have a question. Why do I not have boot menu options (F1, F2, etc) on the first graphical boot selection screen as shown in the antiX instruction videos? I didn't have a problem booting up the live usb on my eee with antiX 16.2, so I just tried to boot this iso with my new Vivo netbook. Well, I ran into the same problem as before, i.e., only cli options for installation only. So, it's this Vivo netbook is the culprit, but it's odd, to me at least, that I didn't have a problem with the MX live usb at all. I noticed that after selecting one of the boot options, the rolling boot text shows ...disable=lx, before it finished up to give me the cli option for installation. Is this the reason for my not getting the graphical screen for the live usb test drive?

BitJam
Developer

#20 Post by BitJam »

mickb wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:39 amWhy do I not have boot menu options (F1, F2, etc) on the first graphical boot selection screen as shown in the antiX instruction videos?
The function key menus are only available in the legacy (BIOS) bootloader. Most likely your new Vivo defaults to booting in UEFI mode. AFAIK, no UEFI bootloader has those function key menus available. [The software that generates those menus is based heavily on BIOS system calls. Those all went away in the change to UEFI and porting that software from BIOS to UEFI is a massive job. It may never happen] You can probably enable legacy booting in your BIOS/UEFI settings. On my two Dell laptops, if I disable secure boot then both legacy and UEFI boot options show up in the F12 Boot menu. But on my Acer ES1-511, I have to choose between legacy and UEFI.
So, it's this Vivo netbook is the culprit, but it's odd, to me at least, that I didn't have a problem with the MX live usb at all. I noticed that after selecting one of the boot options, the rolling boot text shows ...disable=lx, before it finished up to give me the cli option for installation. Is this the reason for my not getting the graphical screen for the live usb test drive?
Certainly try removing the "lx" and see if that helps. You can edit UEFI boot parameters by first pressing "e". If it works, that would be an easy fix. If it doesn't work then I imagine it is a kernel/hardware issue.

If you are using a live-usb-maker live-usb then you can save that change by adding the boot parameter "menus=s". If you are using a different type of live-usb and you have another stick, you can clone your existing live system to the new stick with the command "live-usb-maker". it is very easy. You don't even need the iso file. Just plug in the 2nd stick, run the command and press <Enter> a few times.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Return to “antiX”