antiX live usb maker PARTITION TABLE issue?

BitJam
Developer

Re: antiX live usb maker PARTITION TABLE issue?

#11 Post by BitJam »

DevilMind wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:52 am can't these things be added in Live USB Maker GUI App in antiX and MX Linux?
It could be added but I don't know if the work and extra complication involved is worthwhile. AFAIK, yours is the first and only request for this.
DevilMind wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:27 pmcan you stell me how to do with GParted or other GUI apps
No. I couldn't find any GUI apps that did what you need. That is where I looked first.
DevilMind wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:27 pm can you show me commands for all this you suggested?
Fehlix is preparing instructions but the commands have already been outlined above.

1) First you need to make the live-usb with gpt partitioning (this *might* be an option in the GUI tool already, I don't know). As Fehlix said:

Code: Select all

sudo live-usb-maker --gpt --size=50 --from=/ISO/MX-Linux/MX-18/MX-18_x64.iso
You will need to change the location of the iso to where the iso file is on your system.

2) Then run gparted to add the 3rd partition.

3) finally, ASSUMING your live-usb is at /dev/sdd (the program above will tell you where it is as it runs) then simply do:

sudo sgdisk --transpose=1:2 /dev/sdd
This swaps the 1st and 3rd partitions so your fat-32 data partition shows up first.

The size option in the first command tells us to use 50% of the usb for the live system and leave 50% free. If you want more space for data then use a smaller percentage like --size=30. Also, it is very important that you get the /dev/ name correct in the third command. I will often run "lsblk" or "lsblk -o name,fstype,size,label" to make sure I know where the device is.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

DevilMind

#12 Post by DevilMind »

BitJam wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:18 pm
DevilMind wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:52 am can't these things be added in Live USB Maker GUI App in antiX and MX Linux?
It could be added but I don't know if the work and extra complication involved is worthwhile. AFAIK, yours is the first and only request for this.
DevilMind wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:27 pmcan you stell me how to do with GParted or other GUI apps
No. I couldn't find any GUI apps that did what you need. That is where I looked first.
DevilMind wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:27 pm can you show me commands for all this you suggested?
Fehlix is preparing instructions but the commands have already been outlined above.

1) First you need to make the live-usb with gpt partitioning (this *might* be an option in the GUI tool already, I don't know). As Fehlix said:

You will need to change the location of the iso to where the iso file is on your system.

3) finally, ASSUMING your live-usb is at /dev/sdd (the program above will tell you where it is as it runs) then simply do:

This swaps the 1st and 3rd partitions so your fat-32 data partition shows up first.

The size option in the first command tells us to use 50% of the usb for the live system and leave 50% free. If you want more space for data then use a smaller percentage like --size=30. Also, it is very important that you get the /dev/ name correct in the third command. I will often run "lsblk" or "lsblk -o name,fstype,size,label" to make sure I know where the device is.
thank you
your this post contains All in One answer 👍
thanks again

The antiX Live USB Maker GUI App contains all the above provided options other than PARTITION CHANGE, but how can i change Partition on msdos Partition Table

BitJam
Developer

#13 Post by BitJam »

DevilMind wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:43 amThe antiX Live USB Maker GUI App contains all the above provided options other than PARTITION CHANGE, but how can i change Partition on msdos Partition Table
I don't know how to renumber an msdos partition table. It may not be possible. That is why we suggested making the live-usb again using the --gpt option. This creates a live-usb with a gpt partition table.

But if you have valuable information on the usb stick that you don't want to erase or backup then there is another option. The sgdisk program (or at least the interactive gdisk program) can convert the msdos partition table to a gpt partition table before it does the renumbering. As I may have said, this is almost certain to break the legacy bootloader. Assuming your live-usb is at /dev/sdd then after you re-number your existing live-usb, converting it to gpt in the process, you can try to re-install the gpt legacy bootloader with this command:

sudo dd bs=440 conv=notrunc count=1 if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr/gptmbr.bin of=/dev/sdd
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

DevilMind

#14 Post by DevilMind »

DevilMind wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:43 am
BitJam wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:18 pm

thank you
your this post contains All in One answer 👍
thanks again

The antiX Live USB Maker GUI App contains all the above provided options other than PARTITION CHANGE, but how can i change Partition on msdos Partition Table
all of above also required for MX Linux 18 and AntiX 17.4.1.

UPDATE on 29-07-2019 Mon:
Please can anyone help with this?
Is there a Terminal Command or Linux App which can simply:
1. Format my 32gb USB to:
sda1 fat32 to 28gb for Windows and Car Music Player
sda2 fat16 to 50mb EFI boot partition
sda3 ext4 to 2gb AntiX or MX Live USB partition

Please Note:
The partition rename from sda1 to sda3 Terminal Command is not helpful on Car Music Player.

waiting for your replies

fehlix
Developer

#15 Post by fehlix »

DevilMind wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:58 pm UPDATE on 29-07-2019 Mon:

Please Note:
The partition rename from sda1 to sda3 Terminal Command is not helpful on Car Music Player.

waiting for your replies
Yes, meanwhile the command line installer live-usb-maker will allow you to install such that you can have this layout on the usb stick.

sda2 ext4 to 2gb AntiX or MX Live USB partition
sda3 fat16 to 50mb EFI boot partition
If you don't have yet the latest "cli" live-usb-maker , the easiest would be to get latest onto your system
with running

git clone https://github.com/BitJam/live-usb-maker
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/cli-shell-utils
cd live-usb-maker
Now run live-usb-maker like such example to create a vfat/fat32 data-first partition:

sudo ./live-usb-maker --data-first -f MX-18.3_July_x64.iso 
You would need to adjust the ISO filename and path, or run with out -f option:

sudo ./live-usb-maker --data-first 
to navigate to and select the ISO.
With --data-first you get a selection of the size for the first partition.
HTH
:puppy:
EDIT: Clarified: No need to specify format of data-first partition vfat ( = "fat32") is the default.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

DevilMind

#16 Post by DevilMind »

fehlix wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:14 pm
DevilMind wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:58 pm UPDATE on 29-07-2019 Mon:

Please Note:

waiting for your replies
Yes, meanwhile the command line installer live-usb-maker will allow you to install such that you can have this layout on the usb stick.

sda2 ext4 to 2gb AntiX or MX Live USB partition
sda3 fat16 to 50mb EFI boot partition
If you don't have yet the latest "cli" live-usb-maker , the easiest would be to get latest onto your system
with running

git clone https://github.com/BitJam/live-usb-maker
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/cli-shell-utils
cd live-usb-maker
Now run live-usb-maker like such example:

sudo ./live-usb-maker --data-first=fat32 -f MX-18.3_July_x64.iso 
You would need to adjust the ISO filename and path, or run with out -f option:

sudo ./live-usb-maker --data-first=fat32 
to navigate to and select the ISO.
With --data-first you get a selection of the size for the first partition.
HTH
:puppy:

i am getting this error on my Live USB on 32gb flash drive.

demo@antix1:~
$ sudo apt-get update       # if needed
Hit:1 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease
Hit:2 http://ftp.am.debian.org/debian stretch-updates InRelease
Ign:3 http://ftp.am.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease         
Hit:4 http://mirrors.ges.net.pk/mxlinux/antix/stretch stretch InRelease
Hit:5 http://ftp.am.debian.org/debian stretch Release
Reading package lists... Done                      
$ sudo apt-get install git  # if needed
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  git-man liberror-perl
Suggested packages:
  git-daemon-run | git-daemon-sysvinit git-doc git-el git-email git-gui gitk gitweb
  git-arch git-cvs git-mediawiki git-svn
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  git git-man liberror-perl
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 72 not upgraded.
Need to get 5,627 kB of archives.
After this operation, 31.1 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Abort.
$ 

fehlix
Developer

#17 Post by fehlix »

DevilMind wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:45 pm i am getting this error on my Live USB on 32gb flash drive.
Try another mirror. I just installed git on antiX-17.4.1 live ISO, without any issue.
Please don't quote the full post when replying, as user can simply read the post above, thanks
Also I just made a LiveUSB with 1.5GB ext4 and 28 GB first data vfat partition.
Also note: You don't need to specfy the format vfat/fat32 as this is the default anyway, but you get a selection to choose from
vfat, ntfs, exfat or ext4 for the first-data partion
So just use without "fat32" if you want , better use vfat instead of "fat32".

sudo ./live-usb-maker --data-first -f MX-18.3_July_x64.iso 
Thanks
EDIT:
Impressions:
lum-df-1.png
lum-df-2.png
lum-df-3.png
EDIT2:
I have attached freshly fetched from GIT latest lum and cli-shell-utils
do extract like this:

tar xzvf live-usb-maker-2.41.02.tgz
tar xzvf cli-shell-utils-2.41.02.tgz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DevilMind

#18 Post by DevilMind »

thank you
been trying for last 1 hour.
now getting this error on AntiX 17.4.1

Ready to make live-usb on device sdb
... by copying file /media/REH-32-2/antiX-17.4.1_x64-base.iso
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shall we begin?                                                                         
= yes                                                                                   
> no                                                                                    
> pretend mode                                                                          
Press <Enter> to select the highlighted entry                                           
Use 'h' for help, 'r' to redraw, 'q' to quit                                            
>> partition-clear                                                                      
>> partition-make
Using msdos partitioning
Error: Partitioning failed at making
partition: Partitioning failed at 
root@antix1:/home/demo/live-usb-maker# 

fehlix
Developer

#19 Post by fehlix »

DevilMind wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:22 pm now getting this error on AntiX 17.4.1
[/code]
Don't know what command you run to get this error. Also better make sure not selecting the USB device you are coping the ISO from :footinmouth:
Perhaps better copy the iso first onto the system if that's also on USB, to avoid traffic on USB ports or not selection the wrong usb.

DevilMind

#20 Post by DevilMind »

this code is best for me:

sudo ./live-usb-maker -g --gpt --data-first
sorry before i did not UNMOUNT all my used partition on target USB.
Last edited by DevilMind on Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “antiX”