Antix-Linux install on OLD EEEPC(asus)

anticapitalista
Developer

Re: Antix-Linux install on OLD EEEPC(asus)

#11 Post by anticapitalista »

GuiGuy wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:17 pm
anticapitalista wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:56 pm You should have installed the latest version - antiX-17.2
And you should update your sig ;)
I'm still using (updated) antiX-17 on this laptop. (Actually an alpha version)

Code: Select all

cat /etc/antix-version 
antiX-17.a2_x64-full keerfa 16 February 2017
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

caprea

#12 Post by caprea »

Please look again at rokytnji's post. On the bootscreen of the live-stick you can choose wicd with the F4 key. This will make autostart a GUI-frienly way to connect to the internet on your installation.

Chriske

#13 Post by Chriske »

Did not know about f4 wicd but finished installing Antix and all is ok now,
only need to find how to change keyboard installed uk but need azerty keyb -Belgium-

caprea

#14 Post by caprea »

Most settings are in the control-centre from the menu.
In control-centre go to system and then keyboard-layout. In keyboardlayouts click + and then on the drop-down-arrows.

Chriske

#15 Post by Chriske »

Just found it thanks anyway
Busy installing FileZilla and Q-Torrent

Chriske

#16 Post by Chriske »

I've read somewhere that one particular browser would use far less RAM then other browser, but fail to remember which one it was.It was in a Antix thread on this forum if I'm correct.
Any ideas guys...?

Chriske

#17 Post by Chriske »

Found it, but it is not a browser, it's an app/tool
It is exactly what I need to use on a few other(older) PC's + this one.
But i found Firefox better(faster) running in Antix compared to MX already.
Copy from that post about Fluxbox :

Belive me, on a machine with 1 gig of ram, antiX (and specialy antiX with Fluxbox DE, in my case) is really the way to go, if you use it for stuff like browsing the web on Firefox, it does a way better use of your RAM ...

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#18 Post by rokytnji.1 »

All that is left to do is watch some youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFWlej ... 5uE9opXukQ

Congrats

On my single core atom atom installs. I recommend pale moon browser inside your meta package installer inside the antiX control center.

Youtube videos have the rest of anything else. Give likes to runwiththedolphin.

oops

#19 Post by oops »

Chriske wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:14 pm I've read somewhere that one particular browser would use far less RAM then other browser, but fail to remember which one it was.It was in a Antix thread on this forum if I'm correct.
Any ideas guys...?
Hello, you can try Palemoon (and addon: Lull the Tabs, etc), or Midori v6 beta version.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

sunrat

#20 Post by sunrat »

This is most coincidental. I dug out my old EeePC 900 which had a faulty keyboard and sourced a new keyboard for $15 and installed it yesterday. It has 4GB plus 16GB SSDs and I had to use cli-installer to get it to install on the 4GB one where it used 2.5GB. GUI installer refuses to install on under 4GB and it reports 3.8 as size of that disk.
It booted up straight away and wifi worked fine after configuring with Ceni. Unfortunately the F keys on the keyboard don't work properly but it's amazing this unit still works at all after it's punishing life of about 9 months travelling in Vietnam and Cambodia and being used to play music in a pub between bands.
It will only be used to play music now so I downloaded and installed DeadBeef from MX repo which works nicely. I wonder how much more life I can get out of this 10 year old machine?

Return to “antiX”