live antiX 17.2 saving data between boots without persistance?

PPC

live antiX 17.2 saving data between boots without persistance?

#1 Post by PPC »

Hi. I've been using antiX 16.2 installed to my old atom netbook, but I tried out the live usb antiX 17.2 and it runs fine but with some strange quirks I never noticed before when running from usb:
1-I configure my wifi via ceni, but I lose my wifi connection and have to run ceni again after suspend. On the forum someone with a similar problem got the advice to use wicd. So i used that workaround and noticed that even after booting, wicd automatically connected to my wifi network - it memorized my wifi password even without persistence!
2- the same thing happened to the Firefox option to ask where to download files...

For me it's pretty handy, but is that a bug or by design?
Side note: on my machine 17.2 takes up some more 25 Mb of ram running on idle than the 16.2 (it's a tiny amount of ram, but my net book has only 1 gig of shared ram... so I'm leaving 16.2 installed for now :-))

Great release, as always thanks anti and the team!

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: live antiX 17.2 saving data between boots without persistance?

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

It's the "savestate" system. If you run the live system on writable media, it will attempt to save certain settings either in a general or machine specific basis. Screen brightness and network settings are 2 such items.

The system can be disabled with the nosavestate boot code (available in the boot menus)
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

PPC

#3 Post by PPC »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:36 am It's the "savestate" system. If you run the live system on writable media, it will attempt to save certain settings either in a general or machine specific basis. Screen brightness and network settings are 2 such items.

The system can be disabled with the nosavestate boot code (available in the boot menus)
Hi dolphin. thanks for the reply. This "savestate" brought me some unforseen complications (see my thread viewtopic.php?f=40&t=46616).
I thought about the problem I was having was connected to auto enabled "savestate", and tried the "nosavestate", but the boot code over PloPKexe was not working for some unkown reason. I figured out how to boot to usb from Grub and was able to solve the problem, choosing "nosavestate" from the graphical boot menu. May I, just, assuming you are going to read this post also say that, at least in my home pc with a nvidia card, nouveau drivers, using live USB without persistance, opening a sample mp4 runs fine, either with gnomempv or mpv, but trying to go full screen freezes that machine. Trying, for test proposes, to install nvidea driver without persistance and forcing a X restart from terminal comes up with what looks like the same error that came up when I tried to install the drivers on my antiX 16.2 hd install. it says something about missing nvidea drivers (sorry no details).

As always thanks for the great distros and all the efforts the development teams puts into the forum!

P.

bled

#4 Post by bled »

mx linux savestate

regards

this option is great!!!
what do i need to install this option to
xubuntu?
thanks

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

bled wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:35 pm mx linux savestate

regards

this option is great!!!
what do i need to install this option to
xubuntu?
thanks
you can't, because xubuntu doesn't use the antiX live USB system and the savestate feature is part of the antiX live-USB system.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Return to “antiX”