Another new inxi feature: -p --admin raw parition size, block size

h2-1

Re: Another new inxi feature: -p --admin raw parition size, block size

#11 Post by h2-1 »

3.0.24-52 has this more granular switching. I'll sleep on it.
smxi/sgfxi site (manuals, how-to's, faqs) :: script forums :: Check out inxi sys info script!

oops

#12 Post by oops »

... Right, by granularity, it"s a good idea ... first priority must be for non root users.

That's work even for non root users for the memmory now, I like using the full option to have a look of all important things via : ./pinxi --full -v 8 ... thank you.

Code: Select all

./pinxi -U
S...
Successfully updated to inxi-perl branch version: 3.0.24
New inxi-perl branch version patch number: 52
New inxi-perl branch version release date: 2018-09-22

$ ./pinxi --full -v 8
FI: I have my /tmp (/var/tmp) directory into tmpfs and item is not shown into the partition info:

df | grep tmpfs
tmpfs                 131072       12     131060   1% /var/tmp
It will be interesting to have also, information for the swap, like swappiness= & vfs_cache_pressure=
... And if all partitions are aligned or not.

$ echo " swappiness= `/bin/cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness` <---> vfs_cache_pressure= `/bin/cat /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure `"
 swappiness= 5 <---> vfs_cache_pressure= 50
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

h2-1

#13 Post by h2-1 »

tmpfs data is excluded since it's almost never an actual partition.
smxi/sgfxi site (manuals, how-to's, faqs) :: script forums :: Check out inxi sys info script!

h2-1

#14 Post by h2-1 »

swappiness is more interesting as an --admin option since it 'appears' to be relatively easy.

h2-1

#15 Post by h2-1 »

latest pinxi:

pinxi -aPy80
Partition:
  ID-1: / raw size: 60.00 GiB size: 58.81 GiB (98.01%) used: 14.20 GiB (24.1%) 
  fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
  ID-2: /home raw size: 48.83 GiB size: 47.94 GiB (98.17%) 
  used: 16.45 GiB (34.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb7 
  ID-3: swap-1 size: 15.62 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap 
  swappiness: 60 (default) cache pressure: 100 (default) dev: /dev/sdb1
I actually asked damentz of liquorix/zen kernel if he could see any practical application for this feature, and he noted it could be useful mainly to see if users or distros had modified the default values, which can cause unexpected bugs and problems.

oops

#16 Post by oops »

Great, that's work ... and the alignments of the partitions is for the efficiency (speed up to 50%)
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

h2-1

#17 Post by h2-1 »

I'll leave other partition things to another day, I need to get 3.0.25 out or I'll miss a distro deadline.

there's basically an eternal list of things to do in inxi, I have a list of some of them on github issues. The raw partition size was one of them, so that's checked off the list.

The true final answer to partition raw sizing for example seems to require getting the real kernel docs and code to actually answer it, it proved to be far more difficult than expected, one of those things where everyone believes the question is answered, but when you track down the answers, they prove to not be answers, which means everyone is pointing to something that is actually not an answer and believing it is. That's a serious time suck when you hit such things.

Advanced file system data is 100% certain to trigger multiple instances of that as well, which is why I'm not doing it for now unless someone does all the vm work on it for me. I can say this because before even hitting the per filesystem stage you were talking about, I already hit such triggers, so it's already happened, and per system will simply expose more.

The biggest one by far at this point is handling logical volumes and partitions, that's very very difficult, I have no illusions about it, I expect that to take easily 1 month to complete since I have to set up tons of vms with different configurations, real pain.

The bright side is the other endless projects are much better shape, desktops, window managers, panels/docks/bars, compositors, and the never ending disk vendor project, which I have not once done a new inxi without getting more obscure or not so obscure vendor string matches... something about ssds made the bar to entry so low that basically any tiny chinese company can get the parts and slap them together to make a new brand.... or other variants.

oops

#18 Post by oops »

No problem, it is only some suggestions. keep your time.

h2-1

#19 Post by h2-1 »

One last request from someone, sigh, now as config item or option: pinxi -p --partition-sort percent-used

see -h or man for sort options, basically you can sort via --partition-sort or config item PARTITION_SORT any way you want, though only some of those ways make much sense.

pinxi -pzy80 --partition-sort percent-used
Partition:
  ID-1: swap-1 size: 15.62 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb1 
  ID-2: /home/<filter>/large-s size: 28.71 GiB used: 307.8 MiB (1.0%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sdb3 
  ID-3: /home/<filter>/large size: 288.25 GiB used: 32.51 GiB (11.3%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sdb2 
  ID-4: / size: 58.81 GiB used: 14.20 GiB (24.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
  ID-5: /var/www/m size: 96.00 GiB used: 29.45 GiB (30.7%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sdb6 
  ID-6: /home size: 47.94 GiB used: 16.44 GiB (34.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb7 
  ID-7: /home/<filter>/distros size: 915.89 GiB used: 335.84 GiB (36.7%) 
  fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc1 
  ID-8: /home/<filter>/mm size: 240.18 GiB used: 106.76 GiB (44.5%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sdb4 
  ID-9: /home/<filter>/data size: 144.06 GiB used: 67.48 GiB (46.8%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sdb5

h2-1

#20 Post by h2-1 »

Just fyi, I'm leaning towards removing --admin from -v8, I'm not sure putting it in with an option that shows all the normal output stuff is actually a good idea.

Since typing -av8 is hardly difficult, there's no strong argument for needing it in -v8, but I'm going to think about it a bit.

This is based on some behind the scenes conversations I've had that indicated already some confusion about what the -ap options show, for example.

Return to “antiX”