AntiX may get more users in the future

KBD

AntiX may get more users in the future

#1 Post by KBD »

Lubuntu taking new direction:
https://lubuntu.me/taking-a-new-direction/

BTW using AntiX right now and continually impressed at how nice and fast this distro is on just 2gb ram.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: AntiX may get more users in the future

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

yeah, I laughed a little at that lubuntu post from simon.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

KBD

#3 Post by KBD »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:09 pm yeah, I laughed a little at that lubuntu post from simon.
Over the years people on forums ask what to use on older computers or low ram, low spec computers, and usually you see AntiX and Lubuntu mentioned. It sounds like Lubuntu is going to try to become all things to all people--not a good idea. I think he is making a big mistake losing focus of the distro. He really sounds like--hey, Kubuntu is as good as we are, you could run Kubuntu on that machine. If Kubuntu runs as good on low spec computers as Lubuntu, that ain't much of a choice. I'll choose Kubuntu every time.

Adrian
Developer

#4 Post by Adrian »

It's a strange post. I do like LXQt, maybe sometime when I'm bored I will do a MX respin with LXQt...

asqwerth
Developer

#5 Post by asqwerth »

This is going to affect LXLE, if that's still alive, because I believe that's a fully tricked out and prettified Lubuntu. They may have to make the next LXLE from a core or barebones install of vanilla Ubuntu.

For Peppermint, this shouldn't affect them much since they are a hybrid LXDE+XFCE system anyway, with Nemo file manager from Cinnamon. So they have already moved some distance from Lubuntu.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

malspa

#6 Post by malspa »

KBD wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:58 pm Lubuntu taking new direction:
https://lubuntu.me/taking-a-new-direction/
Thanks for the link! For me, it's been a bonus to have Openbox available in Lubuntu, as LXDE brings in that window manager, and Openbox is my favorite WM. Openbox has been nice for one of my older, poor-performance machines. Looks like Openbox is the default WM for LXQt as well, so this "new direction" for Lubuntu might turn out fine for my purposes.
Adrian wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:01 pm I do like LXQt, maybe sometime when I'm bored I will do a MX respin with LXQt...
I'd certainly be interested in having a look at that, as well!

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#7 Post by ChrisUK »

Adrian wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:01 pm [...] maybe sometime when I'm bored I will do a MX respin with LXQt...
I'm sure there would be some interest in such a spin.

If needed (and if the weather prevents my Nature Observation/Photography), I could install on various old hardware (15+ years old - 10 and 7 years old), Laptops and Desktops, to test. Although I'm quite happy with XFCE myself, I've an old P4 1GB desktop that needs an updated light OS for my Wife to shout at ;)
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

KoO

#8 Post by KoO »

AntiX with 10 window managers out of the box and I have added i3 Deb sid so stable so fun. Runs on the smell of an oily rag. The number one minimalistic system is already Here.

Plus the bro's around here are pumping more kernels then the US Army. The journey is over ladies and gentlemen jump on board..
Main : MX 19.1-AHS (i3) 5.4.13-1~mx19+1, Asus B450-i AMD 5 3600 , 32gb Hyper-X 3200 , GTX970 . :linuxlove:
Lenovo T430 : Debian10 antiX17 (i3) , 4.20.12 , i5 , 12gb .
Lenovo X220 : Test Machine (ATM)

clicktician

#9 Post by clicktician »

Over half of the education market is owned by Chromebook. Apple and Microsoft, having failed to compete to shareholder expectations, are trying to position products that leverage these customers as they grow up and move on. The trouble is, they're not moving on.
Google has strategically campaigned to strengthen ChromeOS with abilities to run Linux and Android apps because Google wants to fill the vacuum that's formed during critical post-education years and beyond.

What Lubuntu and a few other distros have stumbled upon, whether they realize it or not, is the surging market for Chromebook/Tablet/Convertible users who want to put their big-boy pants on. The Chromebook is modern hardware of modest power, but it can do so much more than ChromeOS provides. Neither Mac or Windows products can run on it, so what's left?

Somebody will fill this void.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

KBD

#10 Post by KBD »

Adrian wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:01 pm It's a strange post. I do like LXQt, maybe sometime when I'm bored I will do a MX respin with LXQt...
I would be interested in testing that :)

Return to “antiX”