Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

Solved - Are there still monthly updated releases?

namida12

Solved - Are there still monthly updated releases?

#1 Post by namida12 »

I was looking for updated monthly release for 64-bit AntiX 17.1, but do not see a link to a June update.

Is this still being released?

I have a 2 gig dell computer with soldered to motherboard 32 gig hard drive and I wanted to use the latest monthly build (June) in a 16 gig thumb drive to boot and try using the computer. I just tried to update with synaptic and computer did not have enough ram to do updates running as a live demo...

JR
Last edited by namida12 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Are there still monthly updated releases?

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

namida12 wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:38 pm I was looking for updated monthly release for 64-bit AntiX 17.1, but do not see a link to a June update.

Is this still being released?

I have a 2 gig dell computer with soldered to motherboard 32 gig hard drive and I wanted to use the latest monthly build (June) in a 16 gig thumb drive to boot and try using the computer. I just tried to update with synaptic and computer did not have enough ram to do updates running as a live demo...

JR
antix does not do a monthly update. that is a mx project.

do your antiX update with a large persistence file in static mode.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

namida12

#3 Post by namida12 »

dolphin_oracle wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:58 pm
antix does not do a monthly update. that is a mx project.
do your antiX update with a large persistence file in static mode.
dolphin_oracle,

Thought I remembered there were 32 and 64 bit monthly release of both MX and Antix, my bad.

OK, installing AntiX 64 in the flash drive and failing to be able to update in the limited memory dell computer. One of my systems has 16 gig of ram: can I disconnect the hard drive in that system and run live in that system do the upgrade and then save as a large persistence in static mode?

Have never attempted to create a persistence live flash drive as I never had a problem with updating a live media demo before, thanks for the film I watched on the procedure...
https://mxlinux.org/mx-linux-17-make-li ... ersistence

I am amazed I could not update in the Dell System. Would have thought the 1.87 gig ram would have been enough memory to accomplish that task.

This Dell system is weak at best, but I am trying to decide to purchase and gift to a spinal recovery friend to give him another goal for improving his hand eye coordination. Can't wipe the win10 system (infected takes an hour to boot) to try it installed, I need to do this all on a flash drive.

JR
Last edited by namida12 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#4 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I think you mean the monthly updated releases by Adrian? Where he makes a new iso with all the upgrades already in there.

At least that is what I remember, now if I could actually remember what the things were called I'd be more helpful ;)

Oh snapshot I believe!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

namida12

#5 Post by namida12 »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:41 am I think you mean the monthly updated releases by Adrian? Where he makes a new iso with all the upgrades already in there.

At least that is what I remember, now if I could actually remember what the things were called I'd be more helpful ;)

Oh snapshot I believe!
Eadwine Rose,

Yes, I thought they existed once upon a time...
Must have been a lot of effort for Adrian every month without much thanks. But in the days of slow internet and limited power they were a nice tool to have available.
This Dell 14 - 5100 is like the old days of limited computing power. I am beginning to ask myself if the Dell is adequate enough as a gift for my recovering friend.

I just watched Mr. and Mrs Oracle film on persistence, so will attempt a AntiX live media update on my big memory system.

JR
Last edited by namida12 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian
Developer

#6 Post by Adrian »

It's never been an antiX monthly snapshot as far as I know, I do the monthly MX snapshots (one is coming tomorrow with Debian 9.5 updates). It's not really an effort, I started the monthly snapshot as a showcase of how easy is to take snapshots in MX. AntiX people should be able to do something similar if they have the interest.

namida12

#7 Post by namida12 »

Wow, just watched a youtube video. Maybe this system is upgradable? Will check this one now instead of thinking it was not upgradable. Maybe Dell made this a decent computer after all...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB7vXwRCroM

Reading more on the net this system and opening the case and checking farther unfortunately this unit the has the 32 gig eMMC soldered to motherboard, that does not have the room to complete a win10 update. There are no other ports on the mainboard to add a SSD like the model shown in the youtube video. No USB 3 ports to make live media with persistence quick, and haven't looked at a wireless upgrade solution yet.

Will ask about eMMC install is it Possible? 32 gigs internal storage should be fine for a AntiX 17.1 install, 64 gig flash drive with persistence file in static mode. Or should I try a frugal persistence file in static mode when I wipe and install linux to the drive. I have gone far beyond the original question of Adrian's snapshots. Sorry I need to create a hardware setup thread to explore using this Dells systems that will end up very cheap in garage sales and craigslist listings...

Thanks for everyone's rapid response to my original inquiry.

JR Namida
Melting in Las Vegas

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Solved - Are there still monthly updated releases?

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I run antix installed on a 16gb mmc drive no problems
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

KBD

#9 Post by KBD »

Adrian wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:41 am It's never been an antiX monthly snapshot as far as I know, I do the monthly MX snapshots (one is coming tomorrow with Debian 9.5 updates). It's not really an effort, I started the monthly snapshot as a showcase of how easy is to take snapshots in MX. AntiX people should be able to do something similar if they have the interest.
Thanks for doing this Adrian! Much appreciated!
I may need one soon.

Adrian
Developer

Re: Solved - Are there still monthly updated releases?

#10 Post by Adrian »

No problem, it will come probably tomorrow or the day after, I'm waiting for some translations in MX-Packageinstaller (categories and package descriptions will get translations).

Return to “antiX”