Welcome!
Forum users

Current releases
--MX-23 release info here
--Migration information to MX-23 here
--antiX-23.1 (Arditi del Popolo) release info here

Important information
--If in starting your system it boots to an unwanted Desktop, right click desktop, then select leave and logout. At the
login screen there is a session chooser at the top of the screen.

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- New Forum Features, Marking Solved and Referencing a User: here

A (niche) AntiX rival?

skidoo

Re: A (niche) AntiX rival?

#11 Post by skidoo »

entropyfoe wrote:That's software from >4 years ago. Time to move on.
"GALPon MiniNo is a GNU/Linux distribution made for reusing old computers (10-12 years old)" https://minino.galpon.org/en
(debian jessie -based 2017 release "Queiles 3.0" is using systemd)

PicarOS https://minino.galpon.org/en/news/picar ... ew-version suitable for kids from 3 to 12 and teachers" (videotutoriales); XFWM + LXDE desktop; i486, i686
(also debian jessie -based, but is systemd-free)
^---- worth a test drive. It contains a well curated collection of pre-installed software.

azrielle

#12 Post by azrielle »

Wheezy based Artabros
2.2 (as opposed to 2.1) was only released about 2 weeks ago.
Which leads me to conclude that users of 10-15 year old computers--especially in Spain--aren't nearly as concerned about security updates--or lack thereof--as users of more modern equipment.
Because 10-15 year old computers are effectively "air-gapped" anyway.
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#13 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Really? You're kidding. Right?

Code: Select all

harry@biker:~
$ cd /usr/local/bin
harry@biker:/usr/local/bin
$ ls
add-desktop            cli-aptiX                  droopy               live-usb-maker-gui            rox-as-root.sh               toram-eject
add-key                cli-installer              droopy.sh            menu_manager_applications.sh  roxuri                       umount-media
add-start              colorview                  ds-mouse             menu_manager_personal.sh      Rox-Wallpaper                UM-set
alsa-set-default-card  conky-colors               ds-mouse.py          menu_manager.sh               run-mksquashfs               unplugdrive.sh
amz                    conkytoggle.sh             du-excludes          mountbox                      search-and-replace.py        urxvt-style
ansi-bars              connectshares              edit-as-root.sh      mount-media                   search-bar                   user-management
ansi-colors            connectshares-config       encrypt-antix        mpv                           search-bar-icon              wallpaper.py
ansi-tput              connectshares-config.sh    env-info             mx                            set-desktop-theme            wgetpaste
antix                  connectshares.sh           fancy-prompts.bash   netpro                        set-dpi                      wiki
antixccgrub.sh         console-font-select        fancy-prompts.zsh    nvidia-detect-mx              set-screen-blank             wingrid-bottomleft.sh
antixcc.sh             console-width-select       fbxkb-start          open-with-menu.sh             sgfxi                        wingrid-bottomright.sh
antixccslim.sh         ddg                        findshares           paletterx                     slim-login                   wingrid-bottom.sh
antiX-cli-cc           dd-live-usb                gf                   paneltoggle.sh                sm-lib-apt-tools             wingrid-close.sh
antiX-FileManager.sh   ddm-mx                     gg                   persist-config                sm-lib-distro-conversion     wingrid-left.sh
antiX-paste            desktop-defaults-run       guess-hwclock        persist-enabled               sm-lib-du-fixes              wingrid-maximize.sh
antixscreenshot.sh     desktop-defaults-set       icewmcc              persist-makefs                sm-lib-misc-tweaks           wingrid-right.sh
antixsources.sh        desktop-defaults-set-new   id_version           persist-save                  sm-versions                  wingrid-topleft.sh
archive-create.sh      desktop-menu               imdb                 pinxi                         smxi                         wingrid-topright.sh
archive-extract.sh     desktop-menu-places        imdb-disc            pmrp                          speedtest-cli.py             wingrid-top.sh
automount-antix        desktop-session            imdbe                process-reaper                splash-select                xmms
automount-config       desktop-session-exit       inxi                 psg                           start-t                      yad
backlight-brightness   desktop-session-wallpaper  inxi-gui             ps_initrd.sh                  stp                          zram
block-advert.sh        desktop_tool.py            lh-mouse             ps_mem.py                     streamlight-gui-launcher.sh
boot-log               desktop_tool.pyc           li                   rc-conf-wrapper.sh            streamlight.sh
BroadcomStartup        dict-search                live-kernel-updater  remaster.sh                   svmi
burniso                disconnectshares           live-remaster        remove-desktop                time-x-start
choose-console-width   disconnectshares.sh        live-usb-maker       rh-mouse                      tinyradio
Forgot to mention. Boot times and other things mentioned have no relevance on my Panasonic CF-48 or IBM T23.
But nothing currently much around will install and give me all the above and run smoothly on that gear.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#14 Post by rokytnji.1 »

Gotta excuse my post. I felt like I am riding my Harley. Then a guy pulls up next to me on a bobber 200cc motorcycle. The guy in the car next to us says.

" Possible Rival? "

Yeah. It does the same basic job as my bike. But is a lot less fun ride.

azrielle

#15 Post by azrielle »

You're arguing semantics over my inexpert choice of words in my title (gotta have a title, can't post without a title). SHEESH!
The SALIENT point is getting SOMETHING to run on an OOOOLLLDDD machine. Such as my first laptop, wish I still had it (1998 Compaq Presario retrofitted w/192MB RAM, 20GB HDD, AMD K6-III+@450MHz, running Win2000SP4). 58MB RAM usage at idle ain't nothing to sneeze at, no matter how they do it. And a RAM strapped USB1.1 PC that can't connect to the Internet with anything better than Lynx or Dillo IS....EFFECTIVELY..Air-gapped, if for no other reason than it isn't likely to be targeted by a Hacker. Harley vs Kawasaki Trail 100 comparisons to the contrary (I WOULD argue that I had a LOT more fun tooling around in the Las Vegas desert hills in my youth than I ever would have cruising Fremont Street...).
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

anticapitalista
Developer

#16 Post by anticapitalista »

I heard about the GALPon project a few years back and I applaud what they are trying to do.
They aim at providing a linux desktop for kids using old hardware.
In that sense they are allies with antiX, not rivals. They just do it in a different way.
Good on them and I hope they have success in what they do.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#17 Post by rokytnji.1 »

The SALIENT point is getting SOMETHING to run on an OOOOLLLDDD machine.
Backing up my call out. My inxi reports on my ooooooooooooold machines.

System:    Host: biker Kernel: 4.9.75-antix.2-486-smp i686 bits: 32 gcc: 6.3.0 Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2
           Distro: antiX-17_386-full Heather Heyer 24 October 2017
Machine:   Device: laptop System: IBM product: 26474MU serial: N/A
           Mobo: IBM model: 26474MU serial: N/A BIOS: IBM v: 1AET64WW (1.20 ) date: 10/18/2006
Graphics chip is a joke

Graphics:  Card: S3 Graphics SuperSavage IX/C SDR bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: vesa Resolution: 1024x768@0.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.9, 128 bits)
           version: 3.3 Mesa 13.0.6 Direct Render: Yes
Then the panasonic with a Floppy Drive is even older laptop

Machine:   System: Matsushita product: CF-48V4HLUQM v: 004
           Mobo: Matsushita model: CF48-4 v: 001
           Bios: Phoenix K.K. v: V4.00L13 date: 12/12/2002
Got anything older? <Edit: OK. I see your compaq statement. But I am backing up my post with code readouts. Not hear say>. I'm speaking from real world experience here. Not semantics. I am not chiding or poking fun. Just being pragmatic.
You can't convince this fan boy something is competitive. When it is not.
But when it comes to some ones druthers.
They are like fingerprints
Most people have one.
They are all different.

I see Anti covered my druthers < aka preferences > statement.

BitJam
Developer

#18 Post by BitJam »

Oh gosh Roky, you reminded me of when I was in high school. The father of my Dad's business partner died and the partner was trying to sell off his dad's ten-year-old 1963 Chevy Impala Super Sport Convertible which had very low mileage for its age. The engine had a ton of chrome on it, valve covers and so on, like it was a show car. Despite being an eco-freak I bought it for $250. I had to borrow money from a friend to do it.

Unfortunately, it had a two-speed PowerGilde transmission which was starting to fail. One of the few things I could find out about it back then was it was absolutely no good behind a high torque engine. In a gas station nearby there was a 4-speed manual transmission with a Hurst shifter that would fit in my car. I bought it for $100. I took it all apart and cleaned it and then put it together with no extra pieces left out. Unfortunately, I needed a bell housing and a different drive shaft and maybe a few other things. Fortunately, there was a similar car in a nearby junk yard where we could get most of the parts we needed. I think we ended up taking the drive shaft to a welder who cut off a few inches to make it fit.

By some miracle we got it all put back together and it worked. The car was 10 years old and the convertible top was looking a little ratty. Sometimes when we were stopped at a light with the top up, some kids would pull up next to us in a fancy new sports car and rev their engine. It looked like our car was an old clunker. We would leave them in the dust! Especially if we were going uphill. The back of my car would be ahead of the front of theirs in couple of car lengths. My car looked a little ratty but the 409 engine it had was famous for being used in dragsters because it had so much low-end torque.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

in2media

#19 Post by in2media »

my mate had a chevy impala 65 and we raced a porche at some lights. we left it standing. now my mate does drag racing
win 7 pc, lubuntu 17.10 on compaq pressario, mx 17 on inspiron 1545.
samsung 700g7c mx17
registered linux user number 625675
linux is a way of life
otmapp wwwc krazies and kattle and the krew

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#20 Post by rokytnji.1 »

See. We can act like we are around a campfire.
Like a group of old friends.
Drinking beers.
Jaw jacking like old codgers.
So don't take my poists in this thread to heart.

It is like Chevy vs Ford.

Return to “antiX”