GCC-7 and MX's non-PAE kernel [Solved]

kyle_a

GCC-7 and MX's non-PAE kernel [Solved]

#1 Post by kyle_a »

Hey guys, I want to install GCC-7 without bricking my system, I prefer to stay on the stable repos because everything runs smoother but I need GCC-7 for the Liquorix 4.14 headers.
What is the best way to do this? I'm afraid I might brick my system if I install GCC-7 from the Debian testing repos & could lead me into further problems... Is there possibly a way I could make my own repo that would hold GCC-7? Is there a way of installing BOTH GCC-6 & GCC-7 like they do in Arch Linux? I noticed that I can install GCC-8 from the Debian Experimental repo & it wouldn't replace GCC-6.
It would be really awesome if we could make it so we have both GCC-6 & GCC-7, I think that's a feature all Debian-based distros should utilize.
I tried compiling GCC-7 from scratch just to see what would happen, unfortunately apt doesn't pick it up when trying to install the liquorix 4.14 headers.

I'm also curious about the non-PAE kernel in the MX repo, is it safe to install it on AntiX? I figure it would be helpful to have a backup kernel in case I encounter any issues with Liquorix.
I noticed there are lots of updates that MX stretch repo has that AntiX repo does not, what's up with that? Just curious.
Last edited by kyle_a on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: GCC-7 and MX's non-PAE kernel

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

kyle_a wrote:Hey guys, I want to install GCC-7 without bricking my system, I prefer to stay on the stable repos because everything runs smoother but I need GCC-7 for the Liquorix 4.14 headers.
What is the best way to do this? I'm afraid I might brick my system if I install GCC-7 from the Debian testing repos & could lead me into further problems... Is there possibly a way I could make my own repo that would hold GCC-7? Is there a way of installing BOTH GCC-6 & GCC-7 like they do in Arch Linux? I noticed that I can install GCC-8 from the Debian Experimental repo & it wouldn't replace GCC-6.
It would be really awesome if we could make it so we have both GCC-6 & GCC-7, I think that's a feature all Debian-based distros should utilize.
I tried compiling GCC-7 from scratch just to see what would happen, unfortunately apt doesn't pick it up when trying to install the liquorix 4.14 headers.
the mx project has liqourix kernels backported to stretch in our mx test repo. it would probably be easier to enable our test repo to pull the liquorix kernels than to try to bring in a debian testing package into an otherwise stable antiX installation.
I'm also curious about the non-PAE kernel in the MX repo, is it safe to install it on AntiX? I figure it would be helpful to have a backup kernel in case I encounter any issues with Liquorix.
the non-PAE kernel is probably safe for antiX. I know it works pretty well the other way (antiX kernels on MX). those are 32bit kernels.
I noticed there are lots of updates that MX stretch repo has that AntiX repo does not, what's up with that? Just curious.
different projects, different repos, different goals. antiX also has a lot of packages in its' "nosystemd" repo that mx does not have.

One of the great errors people make when discussing "debian based distros" is the assumption that they are all the same. MX is based on antiX which is in turn based on Debian. So if you think of the layers, both antiX and mx use the debian stable repos by default. MX does use most of the antiX repos as well, but not the "nosystemd" one. antiX doesn't currently enable any of the mx repos by default, but the MX repos are generally safe to use for installing software on antiX, but I wouldn't want to leave them enabled all the time for fear of some problem during an antiX upgrade because system level packages can be very different and the mx repos feature backported software that can be newer than that in debian's repos.

in other words, its cleaner for the two project's goals NOT to keep all the repos enabled on both systems. there is some cross pollination of packages when necessary and wanted though. there are several de-branded mx tools in antiX for instance, but they are hosted in different repos. and there are several antiX tools on MX.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

kyle_a

#3 Post by kyle_a »

the mx project has liqourix kernels backported to stretch in our mx test repo. it would probably be easier to enable our test repo to pull the liquorix kernels than to try to bring in a debian testing package into an otherwise stable antiX installation.
What about GCC though? Is there a way I can install GCC-7 without overwriting GCC-6? Do the backported Liquorix kernel headers require GCC-7?

And is the non-PAE MX 4.14 kernel just the same as the Debian 4.14 backports "bpo" kernel? I notice they are both 4.14.13

And yes I noticed the layers - Debian, then AntiX, and then MX, quite clever imo. I used to be MX-only, but since AntiX got Network-Manager working I'm all AntiX. AntiX is GREAT on my old i386! I prefer Artix on my x64's
Last edited by kyle_a on Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

kyle_a wrote:
What about GCC though? Is there a way I can install GCC-7 without overwriting GCC-6? Do the backported Liquorix kernel headers require GCC-7?
I don't think so. that's one way they are "backported".

personally I think you are opening a big can of worms trying to use a critical package like gcc from the "debian testing" repo on top of the current stable repo. Its bound to break things. for instance, anything that relies on dkms (lots of different driver packages) may fail to build on stretch with a gcc-7 installed.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

kyle_a

#5 Post by kyle_a »

dolphin_oracle wrote:
kyle_a wrote:
I don't think so. that's one way they are "backported".

personally I think you are opening a big can of worms trying to use a critical package like gcc from the "debian testing" repo on top of the current stable repo. Its bound to break things. for instance, anything that relies on dkms (lots of different driver packages) may fail to build on stretch with a gcc-7 installed.
I'll take a look at the backported Liquorix kernels, if the Liquorix kernel headers can use GCC-6 then that solves my problem. Just out of curiosity, is it hard to make the headers use GCC-6 instead of GCC-7? Is that something I could do to the headers manually?

Um.... Where is the MX testing repo? I'm having trouble finding it.... I keep getting errors about release files...

I've tried

deb https://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/dists stretch main contrib non-free
and
deb https://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/
deb https://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/

Yep, I'm having trouble finding the testing repo..... I'm tryna look through synaptic(which I already don't like) to see if I can find it but I can't even find the window that shows all the repos... aaand mx testing repo isn't listed in synaptic, probably because I'm on AntiX...

asqwerth
Developer

#6 Post by asqwerth »

Open the MX Package Installer in MX Tools.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

kyle_a

#7 Post by kyle_a »

I'm not using MX... Can you please tell me what to add so I can get the testing repo working in APT??? It keeps telling me there's no release file... -.-

NVM, I removed the 's' from http:// and now it suddenly works... kind of strange. oh well. I have apt-transport-https & most of my sources.list are https, so I figured it would work as it does with the AntiX repo.

I've got the repo added but when I search Liquorix nothing comes up...??????

kyle_a

#8 Post by kyle_a »

Where are they? I don't see them. I've added the mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo to my sources.list
deb http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo stretch main contrib non-free

Guys I am running AntiX not MX, these repos are not already in my sources.list file!!! Please tell me what they're called so I can add them!!! I'd like to get the Liquorix headers installed ASAP!

MX-packageinstaller doesn't tell me what I want to know!!!! Please somebody just give me the URL to add to the sources.list!!! I do not like these GUI-installers!! It doesn't even tell me the repository they are getting this stuff from -.-

stsoh

#9 Post by stsoh »

kyle_a wrote:....... I am running AntiX not MX, .......
shouldn't u be asking Qs at antix forum ?????
read this https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo (MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (2706 MHz), 8Gb RAM (984 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.
Accepted Linux when i found MX-Linux in 2016.

kyle_a

#10 Post by kyle_a »

stsoh wrote:
kyle_a wrote:....... I am running AntiX not MX, .......
shouldn't u be asking Qs at antix forum ?????
read this https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
This is the AntiX section of the MX-Linux forums so I'm pretty sure I'm in the right place. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION?
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE URL IS FOR THE MX TESTING REPO..... THAT'S IT. PLEASE SOMEONE JUST TELL ME!!!

Why can't I see what's in the mx testrepo in APT??? I want to install things through APT, not some GUI program... Really not a fan of GUI stuff for installing things. There must be some URL I'm missing from sources.list, that's the only way to explain why I can see all this liquorix stuff in the GUI app but not in APT...

Can ANYONE tell me how to look at the repos that this GUI program uses??? Please???????
Last edited by kyle_a on Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “antiX”