antiX-17 with LXDE

lucbert

antiX-17 with LXDE

#1 Post by lucbert »

Hi to all!

I want to use antiX, because it is fast, low resource consuming, with many useful tiny tools (like remastering and live usb creation), and boot cheatcodes to support persistence and many options.

Anyway I'd like to use it with LXDE (I come frome lubuntu and I would like to continue to work with that look and feel).
I tried to install antiX base i386 and then lxde packages from Debian 9.2.1 DVD 1 (I don't have network access on my system) and it barely works, but:
- on every startup it notify me it is a not supported DE and then I have to choose one of the other DE;
- it seems possible only to log off from LXDE; no way o restart or shutdown directly from menu.

1) Should it be better to install core version and then install LXDE starting from it?
2) On the other hand, if MX 17 supports all antiX tools and cheatcodes, is it better to wait for its final release and replace XFCE with LXDE on it?
3) Is there a set of LXDE packages available in antiX repository to avoid use of Debian DVD? How can I download them in local, so I will be able to install them with dpkg?

Other questions:
4) How can I uninstall conky or, at least, prevent autostart in a definitely way?
5) Will be wiki documentation updated for antiX-17?

Thank you in advance for your support. You have done a great work!

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: antiX-17 with LXDE

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

Can you post details of your hardware by using

Code: Select all

inxi -F
in a terminal?

It would then be possible to see if MX would be a suitable fit for your hardware.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

lucbert

#3 Post by lucbert »

I'm running it in QEMU for Windows. I'm sure MX works on it, because I already used it. I want to build an iso on a fast system under QEMU and then use it on less powerful systems.

qemu-system-i386w.exe -L Bios -hda "disk.qcow2" ^
-m 896M -vga std -soundhw es1370 ^
-boot menu=off,once=c -name lxdeb ^
-rtc base=localtime,clock=host -parallel none -serial none ^
-netdev type=user,id=mynet0 -device ne2k_pci,netdev=mynet0 ^
-no-acpi -no-hpet -no-reboot -usb -usbdevice tablet

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#4 Post by dolphin_oracle »

IIRC, make sure that lx-session is installed. I don't think it necessarily is, and the lxde logout box requires it.

alternately, there is also a way to make the lxde logout box use the exitantix.sh script. I forget off the top of my head how.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

cyrilus31

#5 Post by cyrilus31 »

Hi Lucbert,
To complement what DO said you can take a look at this antiX topic

lucbert

#6 Post by lucbert »

cyrilus31, I saw that antiX topic after I created this post. Anyway, in the end, there is no information about lxde installation. Thanks.

And thanks to dolphin_oracle for the exitantix.sh script suggestion; I will try this way.

cyrilus31

#7 Post by cyrilus31 »

FWIW, there is a metapackage available in antiX. lx session is installed but still the problem on log out.
Maybe Rokytnji on antiX forum will be able to help you.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#8 Post by rokytnji.1 »

cyrilus31 wrote:FWIW, there is a metapackage available in antiX. lx session is installed but still the problem on log out.
Maybe Rokytnji on antiX forum will be able to help you.
I gave up on LXDE and other things in ANTIX after systemd became the defaut in most Desktop Environments.

I got a feeling his LXDE install with systemd in it
- it seems possible only to log off from LXDE; no way o restart or shutdown directly from menu.
Broke /usr/ocal/bin scripts . Systemd does not play nice with /usr/local/. It defaults to /bin or /usr/bin. Welcome to hell when tweaking non systemd distro with systemd applications. Especially Desktop Environments.

lucbert

#9 Post by lucbert »

In the end I was able to install LXDE without systemd.
I can reply to myself, now:

1) Should it be better to install core version and then install LXDE starting from it?
ANS. I found in some topics that core version essentially is for hackers. ^_^

3) Is there a set of LXDE packages available in antiX repository to avoid use of Debian DVD? How can I download them in local, so I will be able to install them with dpkg?
ANS. Packages I installed from Debian DVD seems to work smoothly (lxde-common above all, which gets lx-session as dependency). I removed pcmanfm and made a symbolic link named "pcmanfm" to link spacefm. Even desktop icons are there.

4) How can I uninstall conky or, at least, prevent autostart in a definitely way?
ANS. Package name is conky-legacy-all. I just purged it.

Regarding shutdown and restart, desktop-session-exit antiX program can be called from LXDE; I added a menu item with a good icon and linked it to the systray panel.

Now I have to find a way to prevent desktop-session and desktop-session-menu-window to open at startup. And many, many other things...

skidoo

#10 Post by skidoo »

aw, I'm too slow (you're too fast) and we crossposted.
Kudos for the progress you've achieved so far; I look forward to reading any additional howto notes you may post.

on every startup it notify me it is a not supported DE and then I have to choose one of the other DE
You're seeing this result in the current version?
(antiX17, after apt upgrading to ensure up-to-date packages)
I would consider base version to be a more suitable starting point.
(my explanation of "why so" would span several pages)
2) On the other hand, if MX 17 supports all antiX tools and cheatcodes, is it better to wait for its final release and replace XFCE with LXDE on it?
MX presents only a selected (curated) subset of the antiX tools and, for various tools the MX gui tools expose only a subset of the overall features provided by the underlying tools. I would encourage you to liveboot both MX and antiX, explore/compare to decide which tools & features are important to you.
5) Will be wiki documentation updated for antiX-17?
...and there, right THERE ---^ is the rub.
Existing docs already explain howto (re #4), but few bother to read (posting to forum, instead, without searching prior topics... to ask).
3) Is there a set of LXDE packages available in antiX repository to avoid use of Debian DVD?
How can I download them in local, so I will be able to install them with dpkg?
antiX base/full versions provide lxappearance OOTB.
Which of the other components of the LXDE 'sperience do you, personally need?
Openbox window manager, from debian repo, has no systemd entanglement and is not problematic.
Obconfig tools, and lxpanel... IIRC, are not problematic.
Lxsession (as already mentioned by others), as packaged by debian, is problematic.

Even If you "succeed" in installing the LXDE components you want, its menu may not be automagically updated each time you install or remove a package. The lxmenu may also lack a menu entry for "antiX Control Centre" GUI ~~ you would need to (read lxmenu docs and) manually (via obmenuconfig gui?) insert your own menu items. Ultimately, because the "as we know it" (non QT) LXDE desktop environment is EOL, I would not expend the effort required to force that shoe to fit (inside antiX).

Return to “antiX”