antiX-17 with LXDE

skidoo

Re: antiX-17 with LXDE

#11 Post by skidoo »

Now I have to find a way to prevent desktop-session and desktop-session-menu-window to open at startup.
IIRC, there's an antixforum.com topic dedicated to this. Also, from reading, I had the impression that an updated version of the session-whatever package has been released, removing the pop'emup annoyance you (and others) have mentioned.

lucbert

Re: antiX-17 with LXDE

#12 Post by lucbert »

@skidoo, thank you for your exaustive replies.

I tried to launch only LXPanel within min-JWM and it seems to run smoothly with only 57MB of RAM used. I think I will be able to follow a different way than install completely lxde-common, thanks.
Probably I will follow some hints at this italian language page to obtain what I need with the minimum number of non-antiX repository packages:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160427033 ... hp/Openbox

For curiosity, why lxsession is problematic? I didn't find any issue, at least in appearance.

I'm not scared about the fact LXDE is EOL, as you said; in fact:
- it will be available at least until Debian 9 EOL and it is still used in many project (Raspberry and so on);
- it has the right balance between usability, memory consumption, stability and appearance from my point of view;
- it uses less memory than XFCE and LXQT;
- it has libraries to adapt menus to the freedesktop.org menu specification.

Regarding menu items, they are all available in LXPanel menu, but with missing icon pictures. Anyway I can copy JWM menu information in .desktop text files (following freedesktop.org menu specification) to get any missing antiX application I need.

The effort required to force LXDE shoe to fit inside antiX seems to be less heavy than expected.

Thank you again.

Return to “antiX”