Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

[Solved] New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

Message
Author
antixuser9
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 pm

[Solved] New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

#1 Post by antixuser9 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:01 pm

Just want to say that this distro is exceptional; it's replaced Devuan (which was my old favorite). Simply outstanding. That being said, I have a few questions.

a) What is the command to open a terminal? I'd like to set it as keyboard shortcut, so I can easily access the terminal.
b) For some reason, my brightness resets each time I logout. Is there anyway to make my settings permanent?
c) Which programs have dependencies on the system? I'd like to remove the programs I don't use; but I'm afraid of breaking the OS.

Thank you! :happy:
Last edited by antixuser9 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 22419
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:13 am

Re: New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

#2 Post by Jerry3904 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:24 pm

MOD: I deleted your duplicate post, assuming it was an error.
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

User avatar
anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 5688
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:40 am

Re: New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

#3 Post by anticapitalista » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:33 pm

Which version of antiX are you using and which windows manager?

a. There are already suggested keyboard shortcuts for each window manager in each one's keys file. Just uncomment (antiX uses lxterminal)

c. If you use apt-get purge foo, you get a good idea of what will be removed.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

antixuser9
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

#4 Post by antixuser9 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Jerry3904 wrote:MOD: I deleted your duplicate post, assuming it was an error.
Thank you.
anticapitalista wrote:Which version of antiX are you using and which windows manager?

a. There are already suggested keyboard shortcuts for each window manager in each one's keys file. Just uncomment (antiX uses lxterminal)

c. If you use apt-get purge foo, you get a good idea of what will be removed.
I'm using 17 and iceWM. I'm having a hard time removing flash because I can't seem to find the command that runs it. Same with the following: streamlight, poor man's radio player (even though I know that the command is 'pmrp'), vim.tiny, winff (removed it but the icon still is there).

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9280
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:36 pm

antixuser9 wrote:
Jerry3904 wrote:MOD: I deleted your duplicate post, assuming it was an error.
Thank you.
anticapitalista wrote:Which version of antiX are you using and which windows manager?

a. There are already suggested keyboard shortcuts for each window manager in each one's keys file. Just uncomment (antiX uses lxterminal)

c. If you use apt-get purge foo, you get a good idea of what will be removed.
I'm using 17 and iceWM. I'm having a hard time removing flash because I can't seem to find the command that runs it. Same with the following: streamlight, poor man's radio player (even though I know that the command is 'pmrp'), vim.tiny, winff (removed it but the icon still is there).
Flash is adobe-flashplayer. Just remove it with synaptic or apt.

Always use the package management tools when removing apps.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

antixuser9
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

#6 Post by antixuser9 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:10 pm

dolphin_oracle wrote: Flash is adobe-flashplayer. Just remove it with synaptic or apt.

Always use the package management tools when removing apps.
Thank you. Do you know why my brightness settings reset after every reboot? my DE is xfce, so I could just install power manager I guess.

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9280
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

#7 Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 pm

xfce always resets to 100% brightness.

you might try the antix brightness app. That *might* be persistent. It is on a standard live antiX live-usb, but I'm not sure about what Xfce adds to the mix.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

User avatar
BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 2472
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

#8 Post by BitJam » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:54 pm

Backlight brightness is persistent on the live-usb system but not after you've installed. I suggest you edit the file ~/.desktop-session/startup and add a line like this:

Code: Select all

backlight-brightness --set 50
That line will set the backlight brightness to 50% when the system starts (and maybe when you change window managers).

To use a keypress to open a terminal in IceWM, edit the file ~/.icewm/keys and uncomment or alter the line:

Code: Select all

#key "F1" desktop-defaults-run -t
Then go the the desktop menu and choose "Desktop" --> "Other Desktops" --> "Rox-IceWM" to restart IceWM and now F1 will open up a terminal window.

BTW: when asking questions like these, you will automatically answer a lot of the questions people trying to help you might ask by posting the output of "inxi -F" inside of [ code ] ... [ /code ] tags (no spaces).
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

antixuser9
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

#9 Post by antixuser9 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:06 pm

BitJam wrote:Backlight brightness is persistent on the live-usb system but not after you've installed. I suggest you edit the file ~/.desktop-session/startup and add a line like this:

Code: Select all

backlight-brightness --set 50
That line will set the backlight brightness to 50% when the system starts (and maybe when you change window managers).

To use a keypress to open a terminal in IceWM, edit the file ~/.icewm/keys and uncomment or alter the line:

Code: Select all

#key "F1" desktop-defaults-run -t
Then go the the desktop menu and choose "Desktop" --> "Other Desktops" --> "Rox-IceWM" to restart IceWM and now F1 will open up a terminal window.

BTW: when asking questions like these, you will automatically answer a lot of the questions people trying to help you might ask by posting the output of "inxi -F" inside of [ code ] ... [ /code ] tags (no spaces).
Wow, thanks! It worked! last question, how do I remove the two other WM I have?

User avatar
dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 9280
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:17 pm

Re: New to antiX and loving it! but, I have a few questions.

#10 Post by dolphin_oracle » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:08 pm

same thing, they have packages in the package manager. fluxbox and jwm.

although if you are looking to reclaim space, you won't reclaim much. they are super small.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Post Reply

Return to “antiX”