no video after antiX 17 kernel upgrade to 4.13

caprea

Re: no video after antiX 17 kernel upgrade to 4.13

#21 Post by caprea »

Just a suggestion:

Now , that you surely installed the nvidia-driver with sgfxi (which wasn't the case before)

.......entropyfoe wrote "I did not use sgfxi to install the nvidia driver
I used the antix control center, ".....

and finally updated grub properly

you could try kmatherns suggestion and use the " sgfxi -! 40 " command

entropyfoe

#22 Post by entropyfoe »

I did try the -! 40 option, and sgfxi says there is no sign of an earlier install.

I clearly have the new driver, but sgfxi cannot find evidence of the earlier action.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

Stevo
Developer

#23 Post by Stevo »

I know it works with the 4.13 Liquorix kernel and the stock Debian 375.82 version of the driver installed by ddm-mx. Perhaps you can add my OBS repo and install the Liquorix kernel & headers to see what happens with that one. You'll also have to rerun sgfxi if that's how you installed the driver.

entropyfoe

#24 Post by entropyfoe »

Still banging away on this.
The Antix 17 install was very stable (>8 days up) with the 4.10 stock kernel.

After more messing around with sgfxi, suddenly 4.13 kernel was working , looking like a normal AntiX desktop as I had customized it.
But two days in a row, it crashed to a black screen, with no keyboard or mouse able to restart it...so hit the reset button, and tried to go back to the 4.10 kernel in the advanced options. It seems if I get one kernel going, it borks the other one !

But now the old stock 4.10 kernel install boots to a command prompt. I ran the sgfxi again, and was able to startx, and log into the bare install. No wallpaper, no Antix customization, panel at the bottom, not on the side, most applications not listed on the applications menu. I am thinking this appearance must mean something to out experts here. I have to enable something, connect some configuration to my user or install.

I logged out and back in as my user (not root), same view. I was able to invoke firefox by typing it at the terminal. Same as synaptic, I ran it updating a few packages. But still no Antix appearance.

My user is there, the applications are there, but somehow I need to reinstall the Antix magic. I ran inxi -F, I have antix 17 RC1, fully updated, with Nvidia 387.22.

Any ideas? The 4.10 kernel was stable for 8 days, but 4.13 couldn't last a day on two occasions. So, my best bet for stability is the 4.10 kernel.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
Nvidia GeForce GT 710

Shay2

#25 Post by Shay2 »

antiX-17 is released and it has a lot of the old rc1 problems fixed.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... /antiX-17/

entropyfoe

#26 Post by entropyfoe »

Shay2, Good Idea (maybe) to go with the final. I usually do that after the beta testing, go get final and install.

But, alas, that gave me many problems...

I downloaded the final iso (64 bit_ Antix 17), the md5 was good, so I burned it to a USB using the MX tools. First attempt, said it was successful, but it wouldn't boot, goes to a black screen, not even a cursor.
Re do it from antix tool, no luck..."Couldn't open \EFI\Boot\fallback efi :14"

So, different USB stick wrote the iso with antix tool, this time use the dd option. Boots into the live session, so I installed. All normal but then upon restart, No boot, so go back to MX16.1, update grub. I looked at the partition that antix is installed to, and in the boot folder, the kernel is there, and grub config lists the correct uuid for that partition.

Now boots to a green screen starting with-

Code: Select all

ACPI error needed [Integer/string/Buffer found [region] fff88041....

[...] waiting for /dev to be fully populated [5.772881] kvm : disabled by bios
My MX16 when booting briefly flashes the message -kvm : disabled by bios, but then goes on to boot normally, so not sure what this means.

In summary, with a valid download of antix 17, boots to live session, but the installed antix17 does not boot, even though grub is updated, and it seems that the files are on my 4th partition (antix 17 installed to nmveO1 P4, grub to root.)

I am not sure where to go from here.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
Nvidia GeForce GT 710

Ogis

#27 Post by Ogis »

entropyfoe wrote:Now boots to a green screen starting with-

Code: Select all

kvm : disabled by bios
My MX16 when booting briefly flashes the message -kvm : disabled by bios, but then goes on to boot normally, so not sure what this means.
In summary, with a valid download of antix 17, boots to live session, but the installed antix17 does not boot, even though grub is updated, and it seems that the files are on my 4th partition (antix 17 installed to nmveO1 P4, grub to root.)I am not sure where to go from here.
KVM is a Kernel-based Virtual Machine and some BIOS block the instructions that KVM uses. You can try some fixes in case that your BIOS is blocking it and the BIOS has KVM enabled: on some hardware (e-g HP nx6320), you need to power-off/power-on the machine after enabling virtualization in the BIOS. Enabling some BIOS features may break VT support on some hardware (e-g Enabling Intel AMT on a Thinkpad T500 will prevent kvm-intel from loading with "disabled by bios"). On some Dell hardware, you also need to disable "Trusted Execution", otherwise VT will not be enabled. Here link.

entropyfoe

#28 Post by entropyfoe »

Ogis,

Thanks for this lead, but I am thinking not to go this route yet, as my working MX 16.1 flashes the same message, and the antix 17 beta worked fine.

It is waiting for the /dev to be populated.

I may try the old beta that worked before, or maybe there are some other ideas to try first....

Does the dd method of USB creation give a different product than the normal full live method?
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
Nvidia GeForce GT 710

dr-kart

#29 Post by dr-kart »

Shay2 wrote:antiX-17 is released and it has a lot of the old rc1 problems fixed.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... /antiX-17/
I'd like to say that something was broken somehow on the release.

antix 17rc: Conky had been showing wifi Up/Down inet connection graph right upon my wifi got connected.

antix 17 final: Conky is never reacting to show up that Up/Down connection graph after wifi connected.

Tested on Desktop PC and Laptop. Both 32bit or 64bit releases have an issue.

entropyfoe

#30 Post by entropyfoe »

Darn, It looks like I deleted my antix 17 rc1 iso when I downloaded the final. Stupid me....

Is there a place I can still get the rc1 iso to test again? I did not see it at sourceforge.
I had it on the USB stick, but I over wrote the stick with final. (That's how I know the USB stick is OK, it worked on the beta and rc1)

I should have done a CD disk burn!
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
Nvidia GeForce GT 710

Return to “antiX”