Pepper or Adobe Flash?

namida12

Pepper or Adobe Flash?

#1 Post by namida12 »

Flash Question on pre-rec1: I was under the impression I am using Adobe Flash in Google Chrome, and do not know how to properly check.

I originally thought Google Chrome was using "Pepper" as the Adobe Flash replacement, but somewhere I read that MX & AntiX had switched to Adobe Flash.

Checking on Adobe website with Goggle Chrome: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/about/
It appears I have the latest version of PPAPI
and Firefox has the latest version of NPAPI

Does that mean I am still running pepper in Google Chrome, and Adobe in Firefox?

Reason I ask is my ISP has a internet speed test inside my account that does not work with my Google Chrome web browser, yet I can use some internet speed tests outside of my ISP internal speed tests. I also check my chromebook, and neighbors Chromebox and they do not work either. I do not have a Mac, nor a windows system today to check.
Last edited by namida12 on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: Pepper or Adobe Flash?

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

mx includes both a PPAPI and a NPAPI plugin in our adobe-flashplugin package. Firefox still uses the NPAPI one I think. chromium (not chrome) and similar would use the PPAPI plugin.

That said, google-chrome uses its own flash implementation (the so called pepper flash, which is also adobe) which is still present even if our flash package is removed.

so yeah, if you have our adobe-flashplugin insalled, and google-chrome, you've pretty much got everything in the flash world.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

namida12

#3 Post by namida12 »

Seems this one works in Firefox and not in Google Chrome...
http://www.speedtest.net/?noflash=1

dolphin_oracle,

Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I thought I read somewhere that Google Chrome was now using Adobe Flash in MX and AntiX, when I knew the standard was Pepper, guess that was Firefox that was using pepper, until Adobe started supplying Linux a newer version of Adobe Flash again.

I also read that Adobe Flash is still going to disappear in 2020 regardless of the many web site creators demands.

timkb4cq
Developer

#4 Post by timkb4cq »

It works here on Firefox & Google Chrome and Opera, although not on Konqueror.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Stevo
Developer

#5 Post by Stevo »

Speaking of that, just checked and there's a new release of the two plugins from Adobe, so am updating the adobe-flashplugin package.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#6 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Works here in Chrome and Firefox just fine :) 105 Mbps down, 107 up. Loooove my fiber ;)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

namida12

#7 Post by namida12 »

Oops I meant the Legacy link...

http://www.speedtest.net/?noflash=1
This version of Speedtest requires Adobe Flash. Fortunately, we're ready to share our new Flash-free beta site. Thanks in advance for your patience and feedback.

Return to “antiX”