I want to dump all desktops except one.

jbander

I want to dump all desktops except one.

#1 Post by jbander »

and if possible dumping the space taken up by these other desktops also. It's in ROX-icewm now but can be in anything, just want to be able to put icons on desktop. I'm dumping down to as small as possible in antix 16.2 within the perimeters of my need. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: I want to dump all desktops except one.

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

Why not start with antiX core, and add to it?
As usual antiX comes in 3 flavours for both 32 and 64 bit processors.

antiX-full (c700MB) -4 windows managers - IceWM(default), fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm

antiX-base (c520MB) -3 windows managers - fluxbox(default), jwm and herbstluftwm

antiX-core-libre (c200MB) - no X. Just enough to get you connected (wired) and ready to build. Uses a libre kernel.
The final result is likely to be closer to your requirement.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle »

They are all packages in synaptic, so just remove what you don't want. The window managers don't take up that much disk space though.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

jbander

#4 Post by jbander »

chrispop99 wrote:Why not start with antiX core, and add to it?
As usual antiX comes in 3 flavours for both 32 and 64 bit processors.

antiX-full (c700MB) -4 windows managers - IceWM(default), fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm

antiX-base (c520MB) -3 windows managers - fluxbox(default), jwm and herbstluftwm

antiX-core-libre (c200MB) - no X. Just enough to get you connected (wired) and ready to build. Uses a libre kernel.
The final result is likely to be closer to your requirement.

Chris
Ok that's a option , what I'm finding out is how unstable crunching distros are. I'm doing it a step at a time and have probably 30 DVD's in it right now. I'm close and just want to take quit what is not needed. The desk tops
Is two fold, simply and shrink. I have 10 icons on my desktop and I don't want to put them on all 12 desktop flavours. I really appreciate the response.

galen

#5 Post by galen »

just wondering are you reusing /home for all your installed distros?
Linux user since 1999, on-line 1993
Dtop#1: XU20 AMD-FX6300, GT730
Dtop#2: MX19 AM3ATH2X2, GT218-8400
Ltop#1: MX21 T500
Ltop#2: MX19 T440
Ltop#3: MX19 NC6400
Ltop#4: XU18 NC4400
Ltop#5: Sparky32 T30 :turtle:
Ltop#6: MX21 Acer E5

jbander

#6 Post by jbander »

I don't understand the home question.

fatmac

#7 Post by fatmac »

Each distro will write its files to your /home directory, so there may be a clash of files, which is where personalised desktop info is kept, that is, your icon preferences are stored in your /home directory.

But, I'm just wondering why you are worried by a few MBs of WMs when you say you have 30 DVDs on your disk.

jbander

#8 Post by jbander »

I don't understand the conflict , each distro runs it's own Home directory. The 30 DVD's is what it has taken to crunch the distro down, a little at a time. So if your distro fails, which it has multiple times, you don't have to start from the beginning, you start from the last solid DVD.
Is this what your asking.

Stevo
Developer

#9 Post by Stevo »

By "crunching a distro down to a DVD", do you mean you are stripping parts out of antiX and then remastering your snapshot of the changed version to an ISO file? If not, could you be more specific and point out where I'm going wrong?

jbander

#10 Post by jbander »

Sorry I'm not being very descriptive. I first tried to crunch distros all at once but when you first mistake come up you have to start from the beginning again ,or fix it. Fixing it takes way more time that falling back to the last stable Copy.. You work on it a couple of days burn the ISO then start from that point for a couple of days and on and on. The problems come around often enough that it is a pain. If you do a chunk at a time , when it has a problem. You go back to the last previous stable DVD. You have to run it for a while because problems come up all over the place and you won't find them if you quickly move to the next DVD with little checking. I went from 13 back to 6 to fix one problem. They are sneaky little things.

Return to “antiX”