I want to dump all desktops except one.

skidoo

Re: I want to dump all desktops except one.

#11 Post by skidoo »

edit: content merged into later post ----v
Last edited by skidoo on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skidoo

Re: I want to dump all desktops except one.

#12 Post by skidoo »

jbander wrote:Sorry I'm not being very descriptive. I first tried to crunch distros all at once but when you first mistake come up you have to start from the beginning again ,or fix it. Fixing it takes way more time that falling back to the last stable Copy.. You work on it a couple of days burn the ISO then start from that point for a couple of days and on and on. The problems come around often enough that it is a pain. If you do a chunk at a time , when it has a problem. You go back to the last previous stable DVD. You have to run it for a while because problems come up all over the place and you won't find them if you quickly move to the next DVD with little checking. I went from 13 back to 6 to fix one problem. They are sneaky little things.
I'm not in the habit of quoting back entire posts ~~ doing so here because "which end is UP?"
What you are describing is contrary to what I, and most others, experience when using live-remaster (or snapshot) after adding/removing packages.
It's typically a quick, no-hassles, workflow. Not "days", not "sneaky little bugs".

I typically perform package add/remove operations via synaptic.
Yep, sometimes I'm warned that removal of a particular package will cause removal of some other package(s).
At that point, in order to know whether or not I'd be comfortable with the consequence, I must research what each of the to-be-removed items are/do.
result: no problems, no surprises

If you capture the output of dpkg -l and include it within an attachment, or post it to pastebin.com & provide a link, I'm confident that I can help you find quite a few additional safe-to-remove items. In advance, a couple questions:

1) Have you (as I've previously suggested) performed dpkg -reconfigure locales ?
2) Which locale(s) have you chosen to retain?
3) Prior to, in advance of, adding packages to the stock distro, did you (as I've previously suggested) install localepurge ?
4) During your "cleaning", have you used bleachbit?
(bear in mind: If you have used bleachbit, or when you do ~~
using it for removing anything other than "languages" and "browser cache" is ill-advised, unless you are well-aware of the consequences)

Return to “antiX”