antiX-17-b2-full available for public testing

anticapitalista
Developer

antiX-17-b2-full available for public testing

#1 Post by anticapitalista »

One month on from the release of beta1, we are ready to test out beta2.

Hopefully we managed to fix some of the problems identified in beta 1 such as automatic connection to ethernet on live device and installed to hard drive.

Decided to use conky-legacy and gufw-legacy versions (1. to save some space and 2. to save some RAM usage 3. They both seem more stable).

Installer now prompts for keyboard set up at the beginning rather than near the end. This *should* work much better for those who want/need multi-language support.

eudev seems to be working ok so we will ship with it rather than udev. (note it is packaged as udev to avoid dependency hell, but I assure you we are using eudev).

Still known issues since I have not found a fix.

* IceWM and jwm task bar icon for streamlight is half size
* IceWM themes do not increase size of icons
* Conky blur when switching themes in IceWM

The issue with IceWM is not because it is a later version built from git since the version in Debian stretch also has the issues mentioned above. My guess is its a (gtk3) theme issue.

Enjoy!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/antix- ... /antiX-17/
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: antiX-17-b2-full available for public testing

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

When running live and Wicd is used to set up wifi, the user password (demo) is required before the Wicd settings screen will show.

This applies to both 32- and 64-bit.

It was not required in b1.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#3 Post by dolphin_oracle »

chrispop99 wrote:When running live and Wicd is used to set up wifi, the user password (demo) is required before the Wicd settings screen will show.

Chris
the password is required to start the wicd service, which isn't running on the live media by default. I think that aspect was by design.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#4 Post by chrispop99 »

dolphin_oracle wrote:
chrispop99 wrote:When running live and Wicd is used to set up wifi, the user password (demo) is required before the Wicd settings screen will show.

Chris
the password is required to start the wicd service, which isn't running on the live media by default. I think that aspect was by design.
Why the change from the previous beta, and from memory earlier versions of antiX? I'm struggling to see the benefit of not having Wicd running.

It's my opinion that this will cause confusion for new users.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Shay2

#5 Post by Shay2 »

b1 saved all wicd settings and connected to the router automatically after the first time.
b2 saves the settings, but does not connect automatically each time the stick is booted.

Love the size of the boot font! It is now readable!!!

entropyfoe

#6 Post by entropyfoe »

Downloaded, burned with k3b, md5 checked out good. Verified burn.

After the live boot of the DVD, had an error " no pinboard was in use....".
I dismissed it , no other problem. Internet, sound (though a bit low, even after boosting in alsamixer), YouTube playback. so far, working live.

If I have time, I will install over the beta 1.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

Zeh

#7 Post by Zeh »

Beta 2 shows the same issues I've mentioned regarding beta 1:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=42555&start=40#p419446

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#8 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Zeh wrote:Beta 2 shows the same issues I've mentioned regarding beta 1:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=42555&start=40#p419446
I'm going to respond here instead of via the email.

I can't reproduce most of what you are talking about in that post, but the fact that you have gotten these issues twice with two different betas makes me wonder what it going on. Can you provide some screenshots of the menu? There have been no intentional changes. and "Desktop Apps" doesn't appear on mine.

The logout menu has dropped hibernate, but suspend should still be present. shutdown and reboot work fine for me. you are the first report I've seen of them not working, so any additional information you can provide here may be helpful.

The control center items you mention as not working are working on my test installation with the possible exception of the equalizer. I'm not sure its working or not, but the app does open.

Perhaps listing out your hardware with

Code: Select all

inxi -F

will provide some clue. Also, your steps you took in the installer may be helpful, since the live system appears to be working correctly.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

namida12

#9 Post by namida12 »

Wow, the loading of AntiX is much faster in my AMD RYZEN 5 1500X system with AntiiX 17 b2 installed. Day and night faster. I had lots of trouble with the flash drive this time and decided to play with the new version on plastic instead. Spent about 10 minutes playing and then installed via DVD over writing 17-b1 instead fighting with the Flash drive.

Code: Select all

green244@antix1:~
$ inxi -F
System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.10.5-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: IceWM 1.3.12+mod+20170325.1
           Distro: antiX-17.b2_x64-full keerfa 28 July 2017
Machine:   Device: laptop Mobo: MSI model: B350M GAMING PRO (MS-7A39) v: 1.0
           UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: 2.30 date: 03/24/2017
CPU:       Quad core AMD Ryzen 5 1500X (-HT-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 1550 MHz 2: 1550 MHz 3: 1550 MHz 4: 1550 MHz 5: 1550 MHz 6: 1550 MHz
           7: 1550 MHz 8: 1550 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV670 [Radeon HD 3690/3850]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV670 (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.10.5-antix.1-amd64-smp, LLVM 3.9.1)
           GLX Version: 3.3 Mesa 13.0.6
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 1457 driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV670/680 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 3690/3800 Series]
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.5-antix.1-amd64-smp
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 30:9c:23:00:fd:16
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (60.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 250.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 14G used: 4.3G (33%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /home size: 206G used: 133G (68%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: No active sensors found. Have you configured your sensors yet? mobo: N/A gpu: 88.0
Info:      Processes: 229 Uptime: 2:04 Memory: 1073.9/16067.6MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.21 

System still shows as a Laptop, it identifies the CPU as a Quad now, but still reports 8 cores instead of 4. <-- Presume info will change with later Kernel

Lots of updates via synaptic: with one error. (testing)
GPG error: http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 6494C6D6997C215EThe repository 'http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable Release' is not signed.

I have this version of Google Chrome installed.
Version 60.0.3112.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

The other change my screen size is 1080x1920 and the vertical height of of google or Firefox window can not be adjusted as the bottom panel covers a part of an open window. Did the bottom panel enlarge by pixels, or is it my lack of knowledge to move the bottom panel to the left and reduce the window vertical length and return the panel to the bottom position. <---- Fixed Google Chrome was able to get to lower left corner-adjust size, now for Firefox.

My complements, the load times improved dynamically. Sound was easy to adjust from video card to generic and test, have installed Pulseaudio for louder volume as I could not hear the voice on some youtube instructions.
Internet worked out of the box this time.

Still need to understand how to update to Google dns
Also where can I get educated on the firewall AntiX uses...

BitJam
Developer

#10 Post by BitJam »

chrispop99 wrote:Why the change from the previous beta, and from memory earlier versions of antiX? I'm struggling to see the benefit of not having Wicd running.

It's my opinion that this will cause confusion for new users.
You can add (uppercase) "W" to the disable=xxx cheat to have wicd enabled at boot-time. Or remove the "l" (lowercase el). The convention is that lowercase letters disable and uppercase letters enable. The reason for the change is that wicd can be quite obnoxious. If I want to shutdown or reboot shortly after booting then wicd adds 10 or 15 seconds to the shutdown time even if wicd has never been used and no wireless networks have been enabled.

The history is that for many years acpid and wicd were disabled by default via the "disable=l" cheat or its equivalent on all machines. A year or two ago I modified this for machines that appeared to be laptops (by detecting the existence of some acpi stuff). So on laptops "disable=l" no longer disabled acpid or wicd. Then I discovered that both acpid and wicd were rather obnoxious. Apcid upchucks to the screen at inopportune times and wicd can cause the shutdown to hang as mentioned above. In addition, ceni is available which is usually a good replacement for wicd without the extra overhead to boot-time, shutdown-time, and RAM.

There are many administrative tasks that require you to enter the demo password. We switched to using the demo password instead of the root password because we can make use of the sudo infrastructure that remembers the password for a while. This gets around the problem of having to enter the password over and over when you are trying to get several things done which can be vastly annoying (especially from within the control centre). So after you've entered the demo password once, you are good to go for the next 10 minutes or so (I don't know what the exact time limit is). There may be a config option that lets you go back to using the root password but then you lose the password memory feature.

It might be slightly bitjam-centric, but given all of this, I still think it is better to have wicd disabled by default on laptops via the "disable=l" cheat.

Edit: for the live-usb we save your wireless networks and passwords across reboots so the cost of not running wicd by default boils down to entering the demo password just once (or at most once per new wireless network).
Last edited by BitJam on Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Return to “antiX”