root not working?

lucky9

root not working?

#1 Post by lucky9 »

Booted the patched .iso in a VM. Installed. Booted into the VM. I can't find Synaptic in the Menu. Opened a Terminal and became root. Synaptic will open. Reloaded and Synaptic gave an error on the slavino.sk repo so I disabled it. Upgraded. This generated a new initramfs if I caught what was happening when Synaptic was configuring things. Checked and rechecked the Menu for Synaptic and never found it.

I have not been able to get anything that needs the root password to open. The root Terminal entry in the Menu will not even open. I can su to root and have root privileges. Then I can open Synaptic.

Metapackage-installer will ask for the password and nothing happens after giving it. Several configurations that needed root did the same thing. Nothing that I checked would open after giving the root password.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: root not working?

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

You might try using the user password, though why your system would be set for sudo instead of su is beyond me.

For the long term: download the release itself and start again.

Edit: forgot OP was talking about antiX
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

kmathern
Developer

#3 Post by kmathern »

There were mentions of some problems with gksu in the Beta 1 thread: http://antix.freeforums.org/antix-15-be ... t5565.html

antiX-Dave
Developer

#4 Post by antiX-Dave »

Yes people have complained in beta one about the default su mode not remembering the password. As su mode has a bug that seems it can not remember the password till the source is altered it has been switched to sudo mode. I believe that you just need to open the gksu-properties and in there it has the option to use su mode again.

anticapitalista
Developer

#5 Post by anticapitalista »

There should also be a button in the antiX control centre - Session Tab - Edit Root Password Prompt.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Return to “antiX”