MX18 Continuum (Minimal) Release

Those who have created deb or tar packages to share with other MX users can create a thread in this forum to do that. Also those that request someone to create a package for them, can be posted here.
manyroads

MX18 Continuum (Minimal) Release

#1 Post by manyroads »

Hello all.

Not having done this before in the MX-world, I am pleased to announce the "release" of MX18 Continuum (Minimal). :happy: I have completed everything I can think of to build a MX18 Minimal install image (iso).

For those of you who have not been following the forum discussion on the creation of a Minimal MX Install be advised, this is not a re-creation of antiX. This is truly a "minimalist version" of MX 18 Continuum.

This 'minimal' MX Linux 18 Continuum build is designed to provide you with the basic core of MX Continuum --minus-- all major applications, extra Conkies, icons and themes. The intent of this build is to provide you with a 'reasonably' clean MX base from which to build personal and/or shared MX Desktops. I am using this base both for my personal Desktop and to build a Children's Education Desk using MXLinux 18 as its base.

Should you decide that you would rather build this manually, from the regular MX19 install set, you certainly may. There are a few items, in addition to those in the script, you will need to remove via MXPI. They are enumerated below:

#################################
# Remove the following with MXPI:
# Numix (Icon & Window Themes)
# Faenza (Icon theme)
# Faenza-cupertino (Icon theme)
# Arc (Window Theme)

In addition to all the applications that have been removed, all Conky scripts, excepting those in MX-Default & MX-Elementary folders, have been removed.

If you wish to run my script and/or build a script of your own here is mine to edit as a basis for yours:

#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get remove --purge aisleriot asunder chromium-bsu chromium-bsu-data clementine clipit dconf-editor dict fbreader featherpad feh firefox galculator
geany geany-common gimp gimp-data gmtp gnome-hearts gnome-mahjongg gnome-ppp gnome-schedule gscan2pdf gsmartcontrol gtkhash gtkhash-common guvcview* hexchat htop lbreakout2 lbreakout2-data libreoffice* lightning luckybackup luckybackup-data mc mc-data nomacs nomacs-l10n onboard onboard-common onboard-data orage pdfshuffler peg-e pppoeconf qpdfview* samba samba-common samba-common-bin samba-libs simple-scan smtube swell-foop thunar-gtkhash thunderbird vlc xfce4-notes xfce4-notes-plugin xfce4-sensors-plugin xfce4-taskmanager
#
sudo apt autoremove --purge

Enjoy. :bagoverhead:
Last edited by manyroads on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

anticapitalista
Developer

Re: MX18 Continuum (Minimal) Release

#2 Post by anticapitalista »

Having a quick look in VBox - seems like you have done a very good job here - well done!

What I like is that it is clearly MX (and not just because of the wallpaper) and it does what users requested ie MX (Xfce plus tools) and just enough to get started and to install. Let's hope those who requested such an iso do test it out.

There are a couple of bugs I saw - for example you can't actually open a text file - it gives an xterm error and I'm not sure plymouth is a good idea (but that is just my personal choice) and you could have got rid of alternatives configurator and transmission.

Once again, well done with this, manyroads!
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

Thank you very much @anticapitalista. I'll check the errors out and see what I can do.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

malspa

#4 Post by malspa »

I've downloaded it and I'm booted into it. I can open a text file with nano from the command line, but not if I try to do the same thing from Thunar (right-click on the file, select Open With "Nano", that doesn't work, throws up the xterm error).

Richard

#5 Post by Richard »

Probably cause featherpad was removed.
Must be hardwired to use featherpad?
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

kmathern
Developer

#6 Post by kmathern »

malspa wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:53 pm I've downloaded it and I'm booted into it. I can open a text file with nano from the command line, but not if I try to do the same thing from Thunar (right-click on the file, select Open With "Nano", that doesn't work, throws up the xterm error).
Is xterm installed? It's not installed by default on the regular MX18 that manyroads started with.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#7 Post by chrispop99 »

I did a quick test live, and nothing unexpected happened.

I did wonder whether it would have been more appropriate to do this with the 32-bit version, so users could install lighter applications such as Abiword, SMPlayer, etc. on minimal hardware.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

Richard

#8 Post by Richard »

I ran the script on 32 bit EeePC without problems.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#9 Post by chrispop99 »

Richard wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:09 pm I ran the script on 32 bit EeePC without problems.
Thanks; I used the ISO.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

malspa

#10 Post by malspa »

From the live session, can't install packages. Hm. The debian.list file looks good, but apt search doesn't find any packages that aren't already installed (same with searching via Synaptic). Or is this normal?

Return to “Package Sharing”