MX18 Continuum (Minimal) Release

Those who have created deb or tar packages to share with other MX users can create a thread in this forum to do that. Also those that request someone to create a package for them, can be posted here.
asqwerth
Developer

Re: MX18 Continuum (Minimal) Release

#51 Post by asqwerth »

To be practical, Manyroads is American and English-speaking. He's trying to create a minimal iso mainly for his own use. Some prioritisation has to be done and decisions made as to what to cut out of the iso.

I'm from the other side of the world. I could also say that there are parts of that region where MX users might not speak/read much English or other Western languages, but I'm not really bothered since I'm not into any minimal release. I assume the minimal iso could itself be modded to favour different sets of languages.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

cyrilus31

#52 Post by cyrilus31 »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:26 am
cyrilus31 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:09 am
Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:07 am Seriously, most of the world knows English or Spanish these days.
Seriously do you have any figures that substantiate your "theory" ? :rolleyes:
If I take a look at the entire Dutch population, pretty much everyone under 60 and over 12 speaks and reads English without a problem.
the Netherlands is a special case and from what I read the fact that English is slowly replacing Dutch is a great concern for public authority. That's not the case in every country and local languages are strongly defended in my country.
Anyway OP does what he wants, I support his project that I find quite interesting. But your assertion (most people know english or spanish) is quite "funny" not to say the least.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#53 Post by Eadwine Rose »

"English is just behind Spanish, with approximately 360 million native speakers. Spanish is the third most studied language in the world, after English and French. In addition to the 400 million native speakers, just shy of 9 million people around the world speak Spanish as a second language."

Seriously I do not suck this out of my thumb, you know. I am just stating sources I found.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

cyrilus31

#54 Post by cyrilus31 »

"Seriously, most of the world knows English or Spanish these days" sounded to me like : "hey who doesn't know English or Spanish in the world". I would answer much much more don't know them.
For a minimal install I would only choose English. That's what minimal is supposed to be, no?

baldyeti

#55 Post by baldyeti »

Language can of worms: opened ;-)

Here's the wikipedia Living world languages page

Personally i'd go with en_US.UTF-8 only, but as long as this is not an official ISO (or the choices are clearly documented), it's the OP's call, obviously.

Now the (live) boot language selection is still useful in activating a keyboard layout, but perhaps it should be checked what happens if the LANG environment variable is wrong. For example, what happens if one selects "Dutch (BE)" and the LANG variable gets set to nl_BE.UTF-8 ? Will apps gracefully fall back to en_US.UTF-8 locale or default to "C" without UTF-8 support ? Perhaps for a minimalist respin some script within the live-iso initrd needs to be altered to always set LANG to a valid (installed/supported) value.

anticapitalista
Developer

#56 Post by anticapitalista »

baldyeti wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:05 am
Now the (live) boot language selection is still useful in activating a keyboard layout, but perhaps it should be checked what happens if the LANG environment variable is wrong. For example, what happens if one selects "Dutch (BE)" and the LANG variable gets set to nl_BE.UTF-8 ? Will apps gracefully fall back to en_US.UTF-8 locale or default to "C" without UTF-8 support ? Perhaps for a minimalist respin some script within the live-iso initrd needs to be altered to always set LANG to a valid (installed/supported) value.
F2 Greek boots to a Greek keyboard, but English (US) locale which mean all apps show up in English.
User can toggle between Greek keyboard and English one( US). This is the fallback option set by live-init scripts.

BTW using the MX set systems locale app fails to set up Greek (running live)
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

fehlix
Developer

#57 Post by fehlix »

anticapitalista wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:16 am BTW using the MX set systems locale app fails to set up Greek (running live)
That's interesting. probably one tiny bit was removed too much, e.g. if C-locale was removed,
the system-locale app has no chance to run properly.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

manyroads

#58 Post by manyroads »

Just so folks know, I am following this. :happy:

I'm not certain what to do yet. I'm happy to make minimals for Spanish, English, French and a few others, if there is a place to house them. I am not a fan of xenocentrism. :eek:

If someone can pitch in with an install tool/ script/ option that allows user language activation to download the locales, that would be great. I'd guess it could be used in (an enhancement of) the full installs of both antiX and MX. :confused:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

rasat

#59 Post by rasat »

rasat wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:31 pm I tested your minimal script. Background and pre-username was removed in lightdm. Is this supposed be in minimal?
It seems caused by removing onboard and onboard-data, lightdm-gtk-greater-mx-data is also removed. I suggest to keep these pkgs.

manyroads

#60 Post by manyroads »

Well that does not sound like a good thing! :eek: I'll make the changes.

Edit: That fixed things but added some item dependencies we were hoping to remove. Oh well. :frown:

Edit #2:
Here are the changes I am testing to the minimal. I'll announce when I'm done. Watch this space!!! :alien:

Set locales to contain:

German (Germany)
French (France)
Spanish (Spain)
Simplified Chinese (zh-cn zh-tw)
Russian (Russia)
Arabic (Egypt)

Removed:

VL Gothic is beautiful Japanese free Gothic TrueType font, developed
noto-hinted (replaced with roboto-hinted)
papirus icon theme (used Adwaita)
mthes-en-us (LibreOffice Thesaurus)
plymouth-themes-mx
tango-icon-theme
arc themes
adwaita gnome window themes

Added:
roboto-hinted font to replace noto-hinted (due to smaller size)
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “Package Sharing”