MX18 Continuum (Minimal) Release

Those who have created deb or tar packages to share with other MX users can create a thread in this forum to do that. Also those that request someone to create a package for them, can be posted here.
dphn

Re: MX18 Continuum (Minimal) Release

#61 Post by dphn »

Without the papirus icons you changed the default mx-config. Look at desktop-defaults-xfce-mx17 package and the xfce-settings in /etc/skel/.config/xfce4/xfconf

O.k. I understand. It's a big package but my suggestion is to keep all necessary packages for the default config. It's still MX-Linux and no other distribution.

I'm not sure if plymouth is the new default boot sequence of MX18. I didn't like it... But when it's a default setting, don't change it. Same with lightdm-gtk-greeter.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

manyroads

#62 Post by manyroads »

Hello all.

The latest version of the MX Minimal Install is available. I am pleased to say, the image is at about 850MB.

It may be downloaded at:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w0g0nzahapkx ... NbePa?dl=0

Please test this download to see if the problems are significant. As for removing plymouth, that was per @anticapitalista's suggestion. As for papirus, I'm not certain anything very important was lost by removing that beast and going with vanila Adwaita. Adding papirus by those who want it is not a huge additional effort especially when you consider they have to add a big pile of items to make this a fully functional system.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

skidoo

#63 Post by skidoo »

manyroads, your attention to practicality has produced a good result. :angel: angels are singing...
That's 270 MB installed for the locales, right? If that's so, you won't gain that much on the ISO, since xz may [..]
That's an excellent point, certainly worth mentioning (for the benefit of future readers) but, IIRC, "xz" is not the default (neither for isosnapshot nor for the remastering tool) and, ultimately, worrying about how much/little it gains, iso-sizewise, is a mislplaced priority.

270Mb, that just represents a baseline, a starting point. Unless "measures are taken" (cull unused locales + install localepurge), by the time someone fleshes out their system by installing their chosen amenities... prior to arriving at the remaster/snapshot step, 380Mb is probably a more accurate baseline estimate of the locales-related bloat. Granted, concern toward this is nearly moot for anyone who doesn't perform fullset backups or snapshots and doesn't use liveboot+toram.

When I rechecked tango-icon-theme after reading the above post (expecting "that won't last, it'll wind up being pulled right back in as a dependency of SOMEthing"), I was relieved to notice that few debian9 program packages now "depend" on that icon theme. The pcmanfm file manager, its package "suggests" gvfs-backends... and (but) DEPENDS on tango-icon-theme. That's ridiculous (my opinion). BTW, I also rechecked spaceFM; its package too DEPENDS on hicolor|faenza. "Sorry, boss, this program cannot be used in the absence of someone's aribitrarily-assigned 'eyecon', which has been oh-so-inconveniently bundled into a separate package."

Stevo
Developer

#64 Post by Stevo »

cyrilus31 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:09 am
Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:07 am Seriously, most of the world knows English or Spanish these days.
Seriously do you have any figures that substantiate your "theory" ? :rolleyes:
In the Star Trek universe, everyone in the galaxy speaks freaking English, even uncontacted planets!

Stevo
Developer

#65 Post by Stevo »

skidoo wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:32 pm manyroads, your attention to practicality has produced a good result. :angel: angels are singing...
That's 270 MB installed for the locales, right? If that's so, you won't gain that much on the ISO, since xz may [..]
That's an excellent point, certainly worth mentioning (for the benefit of future readers) but, IIRC, "xz" is not the default (neither for isosnapshot nor for the remastering tool) and, ultimately, worrying about how much/little it gains, iso-sizewise, is a mislplaced priority.

The default compression algorithm used for squashfs in the snapshot process in Stretch is xz. We had discussions about it making machines with poor cooling use 100% of all CPU cycles, run way too hot, and shut down, in fact.

Papirus icons are text based svg files with many repeated text strings, making them extremely compressible with xz. The current deb in our repo is under 10 MB, but expands to 130 MB installed. Png based icons are incompressible at all!

cyrilus31

#66 Post by cyrilus31 »

Stevo wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:35 pm
cyrilus31 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:09 am
Eadwine Rose wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:07 am Seriously, most of the world knows English or Spanish these days.
Seriously do you have any figures that substantiate your "theory" ? :rolleyes:
In the Star Trek universe, everyone in the galaxy speaks freaking English, even uncontacted planets!
No wonder. English is truly the "universal" language :alien: (but that was just before coyotes took control of the world)

fehlix
Developer

#67 Post by fehlix »

anticapitalista wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:16 am BTW using the MX set systems locale app fails to set up Greek (running live)
Ok, the locale system is broken due to the removed locale defintions.
To fix :
The locale defintions needs to be reinstalled,
e.g. with this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install --reinstall locales
After doing this, I start the system-locale app with MX tools
and install Greek (or French ;=), and have the menus nicely in these beautiful languages.
:puppy:
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

skidoo

#68 Post by skidoo »

Tripped across a discussion elsewhere in my reading today (possibly in the /r/linux reddit topic about "font-manager"?) which reminded me to mention/question here:

Are we, collectively, confident that at least ONE of the fontsets pre-installed in this minimalistic project does provide thorough unicode character coverage?

cyrilus31

#69 Post by cyrilus31 »

fehlix wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:47 pm install Greek (or French ;=), and have the menus nicely in these beautiful languages.
All of you, you're hopeless. Chinese....chinese is the new language to know. Not the language of one of these arrogant froggies (Personnaly I prefer snails :snail: Yummy!)
Will try this version this afternoon.

manyroads

#70 Post by manyroads »

fehlix wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:47 pm
anticapitalista wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:16 am BTW using the MX set systems locale app fails to set up Greek (running live)
Ok, the locale system is broken due to the removed locale defintions.
To fix :
The locale defintions needs to be reinstalled,
e.g. with this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install --reinstall locales
After doing this, I start the system-locale app with MX tools
and install Greek (or French ;=), and have the menus nicely in these beautiful languages.
I have applied the fix and will upload a revision. :crossfingers:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “Package Sharing”