FREE! MX18 Minimal Installset

Those who have created deb or tar packages to share with other MX users can create a thread in this forum to do that. Also those that request someone to create a package for them, can be posted here.
dphn

Re: FREE! MX18 Minimal Installset

#51 Post by dphn »

when you get rid of FF, you must edit the default configuration. /etc/skel/xfce4/panel. Here is the link to FF and Thunar, and /etc/skel/xfce4/xfconf/xfce4/xfce-panel.xml and same with /root folder.
That's a problem. An update from desktop-defaults-xfce-mx17 package brings the defaults back and overwrite these files. There is new package needed, maybe desktop-defaults-xfce-minimal, with preconfigured minimal apps in the launcher.

On my MX-LMDE I have no desktop-defaults packages installed, only the necessary files copied in the system to run systemd-shim and the contents for /usr/local/bin to run the MX autostarts.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

thomasl

#52 Post by thomasl »

anticapitalista wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:03 pmIMHO (again) a minimal install really does have the bare minimal for it to be clearly MX (and not antiX or Debian). So, it should come with xfce, a browser, MX tools and that is it. Then user can install whatever they want.
Strongly agree. Actually, I would even remove the browser though I do realise that many would not agree with that.
anticapitalista wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:03 pmIs it noob-friendly?
No. Since user would have to build up and that means having some knowledge of what apps to install e.g. thunderbird or claws-mail, etc etc. (many of the options are in MXPI).
True... but then again a complete noob should probably start with the full install and perhaps sort of "graduate" to a minimal install once s/he is more experienced. IMHO of course,
Frugal installs on Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Ryzen 5 4650U/24GB * HP Pavilion Ryzen 3 3300U/16GB * Toshiba R950 i5-3340M/12GB
I have a reservation... What do you mean it's not in the COMPUTER!

manyroads

#53 Post by manyroads »

Hello all. I'm building and will upload my final Minimal Build this morning (my time). I will also remove the earlier versions. I believe that there are opportunities to thin the build further but someone who knows the MXTools and can make changes to them needs to be involved. It looks to me like multiple icon theme dependencies are tangled around various of the tools. If the tools standardized on one icon theme, others could be stripped. Beyond that, I think we start hitting MX Tool removal, which I did not do...

Edit: Major changes from v2 include:
  • fix of /etc/skel; added the new panel layout defaults
  • removed residual file directories (I was able to find) of removed apps
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Adrian
Developer

#54 Post by Adrian »

manyroads wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:36 am Hello all. I'm building and will upload my final Minimal Build this morning (my time). I will also remove the earlier versions. I believe that there are opportunities to thin the build further but someone who knows the MXTools and can make changes to them needs to be involved. It looks to me like multiple icon theme dependencies are tangled around various of the tools. If the tools standardized on one icon theme, others could be stripped. Beyond that, I think we start hitting MX Tool removal, which I did not do...

Edit: Major changes from v2 include:
  • fix of /etc/skel; added the new panel layout defaults
  • removed residual file directories (I was able to find) of removed apps
Can you list some problematic dependencies, we'll check to see if it's possible to remove them in future tool updates, some might be listed as recommended instead of hard dependencies...

manyroads

#55 Post by manyroads »

Hi @Adrian, I will provide a list of questionable items for removal.
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

manyroads

#56 Post by manyroads »

Hello all. :bagoverhead:

I have uploaded what I believe to be a release candidate version of what I think is best called "The Essential MX Linux Continuum" it loads zero apps aside from those required to manage and build a fully custom MX Linux install. The following image folder provides an indication of what the actual install looks like & contains (Screenshot saved me a lot of typing :lipsrsealed: ).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/msfqscrtsqq3 ... GLyMa?dl=0

Suffice it to say, you need to know what/ which Linux apps you want to run in order to use this modified MX Installset. This version of MX is neither recommended for newbies nor the faint of heart'.

Here is the download folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5d2pwt2woq7h ... EB2Oa?dl=0
Last edited by manyroads on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pax vobiscum,

manyroads

#57 Post by manyroads »

@Adrian here are the items referred to earlier; all show mx-tweak-data as a dependency.

Numix (Icon & Window Themes)
Faenza (Icon theme)
Faenza-cupertino (Icon theme)
Arc (Window Theme)
Pax vobiscum,

Adrian
Developer

#58 Post by Adrian »

manyroads wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:26 pm @Adrian here are the items referred to earlier; all show mx-tweak-data as a dependency.

Numix (Icon & Window Themes)
Faenza (Icon theme)
Faenza-cupertino (Icon theme)
Arc (Window Theme)
Thanks, I forwarded this to Dolphin_Oracle since he's the maintainer of mx-tweaks, he said he will be able to clear some dependencies.

manyroads

#59 Post by manyroads »

@Adrian Thank you. I hope we get some testing on the Essential MX Continuum. :crossfingers: I can't believe I haven't broken something crucial.
Pax vobiscum,

Adrian
Developer

#60 Post by Adrian »

manyroads wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:41 pm @Adrian Thank you. I hope we get some testing on the Essential MX Continuum. :crossfingers: I can't believe I haven't broken something crucial.
Hopefully the people who requested this and complain about MX being too big will give it a thoroughly test and report issues... personally I have no interest to save 200-400MB just to have to re-add the apps back in, but this is a useful endeavor if nothing else we'll figure out and remove some unnecessary dependencies and have a list of apps that we can consider to remove next time we do a release in case we are hard-pressed for space.

Return to “Package Sharing”