FREE! MX18 Minimal Installset

Those who have created deb or tar packages to share with other MX users can create a thread in this forum to do that. Also those that request someone to create a package for them, can be posted here.
manyroads

FREE! MX18 Minimal Installset

#1 Post by manyroads »

Hello all.

I am in the process of building and uploading an MX Linux 18 Continuum Minimal Install. This snapshot should be tested by someone other than me. :lipsrsealed:
The minimal install is about a 1.2GB image rather than the original 1.4GB. Hooray, :number1: but there's a lot less stuff. :bawling: Remember to add the 'things' you want after installing.

Here is information on lhe MX18 Minimal Install it contains (should contain) all normal:
--- MXTools
--- Essential Accessories

Extremely limited:
--- Development Tools (only Geany)
--- Office Tools (no LibreOffice)
--- Graphics Tools (no Gimp)
--- Multimedia (no VLC)

It is devoid of: :frown:
--- Email Tools
--- Games

The complete list of changes (37 removed packages) made to the basic MX18 Continuum install set follows: :eek:

aisleriot
asunder
chromium-bsu
chromium-bsu-data
clementine
clipit
dict
fbreader
fbreader
feh
gimp
gmtp
gnome-hearts
gnome-mahjongg
gnome-ppp
gscan2pdf
lbreakout2
lbreakout2-data
libreoffice*
lightning
mc
mc-data
nomacs
nomacs-l10n
orage
peg-e
pppoeconf
samba
samba-common
samba-common-bin
samba-libs
smtube
swell-foop
thunderbird
vlc
xfce4-notes
xfce4-notes-plugin
You may obtain the iso here (I will leave it online for about 30 days):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w0g0nzahapkx ... NbePa?dl=0
I will keep this online for about 30 days. If the devs would like to host this, make it official, or tell me it's unwanted I'm happy to defer to their greater knowledge and insight. :puppy:

Here is a script template of what I removed; it may be saved as another file and used as a script (should you prefer to run this locally rather than download another iso image). :crossfingers:

#-------Save from here down -------

#!/bin/bash
sudo apt-get remove --purge gmtp orage nomacs nomacs-l10n pppoeconf asunder chromium-bsu chromium-bsu-data clipit gnome-ppp gnome-hearts lbreakout2 lbreakout2-data mc mc-data xfce4-notes-plugin xfce4-notes peg-e smtube swell-foop fbreader gscan2pdf feh gimp aisleriot clementine dict fbreader gnome-mahjongg samba samba-libs samba-common samba-common-bin thunderbird vlc lightning
sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
#
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge
Last edited by manyroads on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Adrian
Developer

Re: FREE! MX18 Minimal Installset

#2 Post by Adrian »

The minimal install is about a 1.2GB image rather than the original 1.8GB.
The original is 1.4GB.

manyroads

#3 Post by manyroads »

opps... good catch! Fixed (above). :eek:
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

dphn

#4 Post by dphn »

gimp-data is not there. Sometimes it's a bit triggy with the 'data' packages. Not all will be deinstall via autoremove. Check this in particular by the games. LO deinstall is quite heavy. Maybe you can check after it all with deborphan --guess-all
Last edited by dphn on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

manyroads

#5 Post by manyroads »

@dphn... I'll add gimp-data to the script for removal.
Pax vobiscum,

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

I think a lot more can be removed with a little more work. Maybe have Synaptic sort the installed packages by their Download size and then go through them to see what can go. Fonts and icons are good targets, too.

dphn

#7 Post by dphn »

Hi stevo,

in many ways it's not possible. MX-apps depends on faenza-icon theme, papirus-icons are used for the default Xfce-config. Maybe the Numix-icons can be removed.

Same with a lot of apps. When you replace featherpad for example with another editor you must change /etc/skel/.config/Thunar/uca.xml. There are entries for featherpad and with a new update from desktop-defaults-xfce-mx17 package you become all default configs back.
for those with an eye for the finer details...

anticapitalista
Developer

#8 Post by anticapitalista »

I suggest for a minimal install set iso, to remove all vpnc stuff as well as samba.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

anticapitalista
Developer

#9 Post by anticapitalista »

How minimal is minimal? I would suggest a minimal install should be way less than 1GB and closer to 500/600 MB max.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Adrian
Developer

#10 Post by Adrian »

anticapitalista wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:35 pm How minimal is minimal? I would suggest a minimal install should be way less than 1GB and closer to 500/600 MB max.
Saving 200MB seems a bit underwhelming, I think people are better off starting with antiX if their objective is to save space (for some reasons that I don't fully get)

Return to “Package Sharing”