MX18 Continuum Childrens' Education Snapshot

Those who have created deb or tar packages to share with other MX users can create a thread in this forum to do that. Also those that request someone to create a package for them, can be posted here.
dphn

Re: MX18 Continuum Childrens' Education Snapshot

#21 Post by dphn »

Hi BitJam,

I'm interesting in this but I'm not familar with the remastering options in antiX/MX, frugal install, etc. I'm creating systems in a virtual machine and make the remastering-process in the terminal with squashfs-tools, syslinux, syslinux-utils and finally xorriso for iso-build. (the old school way...). But it's o.k., it works on all Debian/Ubuntu based distributions.

I think a remaster from a live usb-stick is possible with the live-remaster tool. I don't know about the difference between the snapshot tool and the live-remaster-tool. Works this directly from a stick prepared with dd command (iso-hybrid)?

Thx for reply. :happy:
for those with an eye for the finer details...

manyroads

#22 Post by manyroads »

@chrispop99 Thank you for your insights. I will definitely post what I do here. I have been giving some thought to a couple of ideas
1. creating a few scripts that can be run on a base MX install to create a basic Edu setup
2. to create a script to be used on my modified base to tweak installs (an example can be viewed here) viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47804

More later.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

skidoo

#23 Post by skidoo »

Hopefully some of the playonlinux software titles are age -appropriate for your intended audience.

playonlinux :: Education https://www.playonlinux.com/en/supported_apps-8-0.html

playonlinux :: Games (100+ titles) https://www.playonlinux.com/en/supported_apps-1-0.html

manyroads

#24 Post by manyroads »

Thank you @skidoo!
Pax vobiscum,
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

aledie

#25 Post by aledie »

@manyroads: I was researching a lot on this topic, Children distros, searched sth for my kid. Tried them all.

If you still look into which software to add give you an advice to look into two distros, both Debian based, tons of soft, very useful:

-Spanish Picaros: fast light tons of soft, a bit kiddy weird themes and colors, icons but pretty useful, even wine and server setup, which teen needs it, if I recall even wiresrk. Weird mix of repos - Jessie, Woody, stretch and 3rd parties, installs from source. But generally great:
https://minino.galpon.org/en/descargas

-Swiss Lernstick - simply the best, developed by Swiss University's IT dept (it has 8 DE out of the box selectable at boot, faaast, 4-6Gb iso, stick works the way - consists out of system partition, cannot change, user partition, everything new saved there, if kid messes up just reformat, share partition.). Used much in Swiss and German schools, but has English and French, +10 others not so good. Nice is that when you say run KDE, all Gnome Things are disabled from menus. If you use standard version, make sure you burn to nfts not fat32, as it's more than 6.5Gig:
https://lernstick.ch/releases/
https://www.imedias.ch/themen/lernstick ... nglish.cfm
MX-18 (x64): HP 8460p, i5-2540M, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, HD3000

manyroads

#26 Post by manyroads »

@aledie I will check them out! Thank you.
Pax vobiscum,

aledie

#27 Post by aledie »

manyroads wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:37 pm @aledie I will check them out! Thank you.
You may see if you can use Lernstick repos with your MX respin, it's also Stretch. All kids related apps they use start with Lernstick-,...
-Just try all them in the menus out, make the list which ones you like. Then connect to their repo in MX, surf the
lists in Synaptic all starting with Lernstick- hundreds of them and see which are on your preferred list.
-before installing check how many dependencies it pulls, would probably not install those part of KDEedu (even though they are the best edu studf, jde framework is heavy. Also maybe dependencies related to the use of systemd....

manyroads

#28 Post by manyroads »

I did look quickly and noticed most were for older children. There were also many overlapping items with what I already pulled. I will hunt more deeply to see what I can use. Thank you very much, your help is most appreciated @aledie!
Pax vobiscum,

aledie

#29 Post by aledie »

manyroads wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:51 pm I did look quickly and noticed most were for older children. There were also many overlapping items with what I already pulled. I will hunt more deeply to see what I can use. Thank you very much, your help is most appreciated @aledie!
If for younger kids, you may also look into ubermix, but it's Ubuntu based, and has much less soft. Edubuntu now 2 years no new releases, an Debianedu / scolelinux. Qimo was good for the very young we talk 3-7yo, but obsolete now. There are some french ones like primatux and another one Abd something... Look in DW list under filter education
Last edited by aledie on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

manyroads

#30 Post by manyroads »

Will do @aledie!
Pax vobiscum,

Return to “Package Sharing”