I have built a children's version of MX18 Continuum. The current version (the one I'm sharing) is geared to children in grades K-2. The current snapshot is in what I'd call an alpha (or maybe pre-alpha) stage. It works for me... but will it work for you?!?! I just don't know. The current version is comprised of several unique features including:
- There are 4 xfce panels (top, bottom, left, right)
- I have elected to use Chromium rather than firefox because it is easy to create site specific browsers (most are on the top panel)
- I have stripped many applications that are not child oriented.
- I have added about 30 applications that are child oriented.
- A few of the applications I have included are web-based.
- I have customized the wallpapers (all are geared to kids and downloaded from Pixabay.
- I elected to use Parole rather than VLC, because it works better for my oldest grandson (age 5.5).
- My grandson likes the wallpapers to change. So they do. Adjust to 'taste.'
- Are there applications or sites you feel should be included in a general release/ snapshot?
- What are your thoughts?
- Do you think this should include Calibre (to manage books) as well as a separate ebook reader?
- I am unable to find a youth Wordprocessor.
- On the version I have for my grandson, I have a launcher that accesses a library of youtube educational videos for him; that is not here (due to copyright risks). They are okay to download and view, but I don't think I can provide them in this snapshot to others; you'll have to get your own.
- I have not included links to public domain children's books (like the Oz books, Dr. Doolittle, Mar Poppins, etc.). I can if there is interest I can provide a launcher to my online Dropbox libraries.
- I'm pretty certain the minimum viable screen size is 1366x768.
- Synapse is available if you like it, like I do. However, I have not mapped to a key.
- The conky needs a few tweaks, still.
- If anyone wants to help with this effort... please let me know what you'd like to do.
- I will add branding for and acknowledgement of MXLinux with the release.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a8p54zth8wkh ... WNx9a?dl=0
Explore, test, but most of all I hope you enjoy.