What is easiest for .deb packg sharing ? Apper catalog or jablicator ?

Those who have created deb or tar packages to share with other MX users can create a thread in this forum to do that. Also those that request someone to create a package for them, can be posted here.
yop

What is easiest for .deb packg sharing ? Apper catalog or jablicator ?

#1 Post by yop »

jablicator makes a packset.deb of all *.debs you have installed (but is a lil prone to fail though imho). :crossfingers:

Apper can save to and install from a single catalog file it produces. So Apper catalogs should be the easiest way to share thematic .deb collections, e.g.

all important .deb for Ruby or Python, or for bitcoin or whatever other subject comes to mind.

Or is there yet sth. better? Like mint linux has a "backup tool GUI" for this purpose. But looks like Apper does the same thing. :happy:
Last edited by yop on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

yop

Re: What is easiest for .deb packg sharing ? Apper catalog or jablicator ?

#2 Post by yop »

this is basically KDE MX plus Apper :puppy:
Last edited by yop on Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo
Developer

#3 Post by Stevo »

It sounds like they are like they're a front end for the dpkg-select commands that do essentially the same thing. Pehaps we can add those to a MX tool for the MX 16 to MX 17 transition.

yop

synaptic, apper, packagesearch and xara.

#4 Post by yop »

Stevo wrote:It sounds like they are like they're a front end for the dpkg-select commands that do essentially the same thing. Perhaps we can add those to a MX tool for the MX 16 to MX 17 transition.
MX-16 should ship with synaptic, apper, packagesearch and xara.

these overlap a lot in functions, yet at the end of the day for full distro control we need all 4 of them.

apper does the job well of using a single file (the apper *.catalog) to save / restore sets of *.deb files. I tested it and it works mostly. :crossfingers:

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#5 Post by Eadwine Rose »

It is quite easy to install all those after the initial install :)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Stevo
Developer

#6 Post by Stevo »

We made a conscious decision to not include any KDE applications, like Apper, on our lightweight xfce distros. It pulls in a boatload of KDE dependencies, much like K3b, the best disk burning software, does.

anticapitalista
Developer

#7 Post by anticapitalista »

apper is not even included in next Debian stable (stretch) and the one in sid is as old as the one in present stable - jessie, Does that mean it is deprecated?

xara is gtk, so not sure why a kde distro fan would support it???????
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

yop

Apper catalog

#8 Post by yop »

anticapitalista wrote:apper is not even included in next Debian stable (stretch) and the one in sid is as old as the one in present stable - jessie, Does that mean it is deprecated?

xara is gtk, so not sure why a kde distro fan would support it???????
because I am not basing my decisions on pointless criteria , such as: whether one soft is gtk-based or not.

this whole "lightweight" policy punishes the user with soft of not high-end ergonomy / usability . but then, it can be easily remixed into sth. which is actually fit for serious use.

proof: just tell me what app can do the apper-catalog trick as easily ? some fltk tool, maybe ?

skidoo

Re: Apper catalog

#9 Post by skidoo »

tell me what app can do the apper-catalog trick as easily
https://github.com/manateelazycat/deepi ... are-center
a google image search for 'deepin-software-center' will give you an overview.
The link I'm pasting, to be clear, it's the prior deepin utility, not the newer dumbed-down "grid of graphical tiles" UI.
not basing my decisions on pointless criteria
Agree with that, but might disagree as to what is / is not "pointless".
The "reviews" and "ratings" provided within the various software stores are (IMO) pointless -- because most of the reviewers aren't qualified to offer a well-founded review.
Typical review content ---} "Don't install this it sux an sth. else i hate pain taxes" or "this da bestest evah i lovit ponies! woot!"

Which of apper's features are singularly unique, or are especially well implemented?
It's been over a year since I looked at it; it didn't favorably impress me.
Hmmm, is apper "deprecated"?
(from foggy, perhaps flawed, memory): the author/dev got a bit sidetracked/entangled (literally wound up in jail, but that's a story for a different day) working on "Tanglu" distro derivative of ubuntu. It's a full-blown 2yr+ old linux distribution, infractrastructure-wise at least, with "approximately zero" users. Hey, did I just invent a new word there? Infractrastructure? He and his buddy have taken turns writing blog posts and begging for donations across the past couple years. Any prior audience, I suspect, is pretty well begged-out. No money, no worky -- IIRC what kept the "apper development" wheels greased was funding from a commercial sponsor and that ran out / dried up a year or so back.
https://tangluusers.org/forum/announcements-5/
^---- a tanglu bookmark, not directly to anything specifically enlightening regarding apper, but you could certainly inquire there

yop

easiest for .deb packg sharing ? Apper catalog or jablicator ?

#10 Post by yop »

I did not say that apper was " singularly unique".
But people want was apper delivers: an importable *.deb catalog with a single click without wading through tons of info files or whatever.

deepin is impressive but kinda does not work very hard to have the best of it all: DEEPIN + KDE !

still deepin-debian is worth trying out ! The Wuhan folks did a good job to make debian look like an Apple product or Android :-)

Return to “Package Sharing”