-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Make FireFox default browser

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Make FireFox default browser

#21 Post by zeeone » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:05 pm

joegum wrote:Yep, Debian Jessie has gone to systemd.

I don't know if my problems are tied to systemd, or some other issue. I just found that the distros that went to it (that I tried) had issues here.

I'm comfortable running older sw. Maybe with further development of systemd things will straighten out.

Is MX going to systemd? (Maybe this should be another topic?)
Read this link;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

joegum
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#22 Post by joegum » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:47 pm

I had looked over the Wikipedia article before. But one quote I missed that really stands out now is:

One of systemd's main goals is to unify basic Linux configurations and service behaviors across all distributions.[7] (Emphasis added)

Wow!

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#23 Post by lucky9 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:16 pm

It's a mini-OS. Not a bad 'idea'. Implementation will probably cause wider-spread problems if there are bugs. It will be interesting to see what happens down the road.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

joegum
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#24 Post by joegum » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:33 pm

it's just a tad bit frightening that they want it to be in use in all distros... no exceptions. If you want KDE or Gnome, you must use systemd.
The following interfaces are considered private to systemd, and are not and will not be covered by any stability promise:

Undocumented switches to systemd, systemctl and otherwise
The internal protocols used on the various sockets such as the sockets /run/systemd/shutdown, /run/systemd/private.

One of the main goals of systemd is to unify basic Linux configurations and service behaviors across all distributions. Systemd project does not contain any distribution-specific parts. Distributions are expected to convert over time their individual configurations to the systemd format, or they will need to carry and maintain patches in their package if they still decide to stay different.

What does this mean for you? When developing with systemd, don't use any of the latter interfaces, or we will tell your mom, and she won't love you anymore. You are welcome to use the other interfaces listed here, but if you use any of the second kind (i.e. those where we don't yet make a stability promise), then make sure to subscribe to our mailing list, where we will announce API changes, and be prepared to update your program eventually.

Note that this is a promise, not an eternal guarantee. These are our intentions, but if in the future there are very good reasons to change or get rid of an interface we have listed above as stable, then we might take the liberty to do so, despite this promise. However, if we do this, then we'll do our best to provide a smooth and reasonably long transition phase.
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar ... tyPromise/
Last edited by joegum on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

joegum
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#25 Post by joegum » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:04 am

asqwerth wrote:Welcome.

If you are not dead set on KDE, you can install MX14.4 which is more updated but uses the XFCE desktop environment. MX is in active development and MX15 is on the cards.

Alternatively, you can install MX14.4 and then install KDE on top of that following the instructions here:

http://mepiscommunity.org/wiki/system/kde-on-mx-linux
Hi asqwerth,

I just tried MX-14.3-pae LiveDVD. It worked great for about 30 seconds after loading. Then, the video driver went crazy.

It was like on an old-fashioned TV where the vertical or horizontal was way over adjusted.

I realize I probably need to custom install an nVidia driver. But, Mepis is working just fine without modification.

Thanks anyhow.

Btw, I do remember a while back... I cannot remember which version,... but I had a similar issue with another distro.... I just installed the 32-bit version which worked fine.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#26 Post by asqwerth » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:32 am

Why version 14.3 and not 14.4? Have you tried 14.4 and does it work?

If not, unfortunately someone else will have to help you for the driver issue as I just use Intel graphics and open drivers.

My suggestion is to leave this thread, which has gone way off course, and start a new thread in the right sub-forum asking for help on this issue.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

joegum
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#27 Post by joegum » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:48 am

I installed that version because i saw that it had the pae kernel extension installed by default.

You are right... If I need more help, I'll start a new thread.

Thanks.
-Joe

Edit: Oops! Must have found a server that wasn't updated yet. I found 14.4 pae

Here's the link to the page I roiginally downloaded from:
http://mirrorcatalogs.com/mepis/released/mx/ As you can see, trhe newest version there in 14_13.98 and there is no pae version14.4 listed.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#28 Post by asqwerth » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:39 am

OK, this is my final post on this issue in this poor, derouted thread. ;-)

The best starting point for MX info and links is "MX Home". Click on the "MX HOME" tab at the top of this forum.

In MX Home, you'll see "Get MX Linux" on the left side. Click on the link to the monthly update/upgrade.

Download from there as this gives you the latest iso image (it's an image containing the official MX14.4 release but with updates applied up to the current month).
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#29 Post by lucky9 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:27 pm

Links are on the main page of the forum. Snapshot of current 14.4 with dist-upgrade is here: http://mxrepo.com/snapshots/

Original 14.4 release links are here: http://www.mepiscommunity.org/node/67

It's recommended that you use the Snapshot. If you are interested in KDE the MX Package Manager will install it with a click or two. Either the Lite, Standard, or Full version.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

joegum
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#30 Post by joegum » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:41 pm

Well, this thread did go off topic. But, after the issues was solved.

Anyhow, MX 14.4 pae is installed and running happily. I only needed to make a few tweaks to get it to work correctly for me. Thanks for the very good documentation on MX and AntiX :)

Nope, I don't see any need for KDE. I'm breaking the habit. XFCE is just fine.

Thanks for all the advice.

Return to “64-bit Regulars”