-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

problem with persistence making a live usb with MX17

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
awsim
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

problem with persistence making a live usb with MX17

#1 Post by awsim » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:51 am

Hi I have been using linux for about 10 years first with ubuntu now with Mint Cinnamon 18.3 and I am attempting to make a live bootable usb with persistence to look at MX17 . Ihave managed to make a live usb with etcher and boot it up. However when I log out I lose all my settings and data . On looking carefully on boot up it appears that I have wrongly selected the partitions. Do I have to partition the usb before mounting the .iso on Etcher. If so what size should the partitions be , the usb is a Sandisk Cruzer Glide 3.0 16GiB. I have tried reformatting and resetting everything but it seems that settings from the previous install are interfereing with the revised install( seemingly not fully formatted)my laptop is an Acer E1 -571 72.8Hdd.3.7 GiB Ram Intel core i3-2328M Cpu @2.2 GHZx2

dolphin_oracle
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: problem with persistence making a live usb with MX17

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:08 am

etcher creates a read-only file system no matter how you partition the drive.

If you have a second stick, I would use our live-usb-maker tool's clone-mode to make a "full-featured" live-USB capable of persistence. The tool will take care of partitioning for you.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad T530 - MX-17
lenovo s21e & 100s - antiX-17, MX17(live-usb)
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

awsim
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Post by awsim » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:30 am

Hi Oracle Thank you so much I have been battling with this for some time .It was like magic smooth and quick. I have Mint Cinnamon 18.3 on my hard drive can I use this or a similar program to install MX17 on my hard drive?

BitJam
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by BitJam » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:05 pm

awsim wrote: I have Mint Cinnamon 18.3 on my hard drive can I use this or a similar program to install MX17 on my hard drive?
You can only install MX-17 via an MX-17 live-usb or a live-dvd. After you boot the live system, it should be easy to see where the install option is.

If you want to run live-usb-maker on a different system, that is fairly easy to do. Install "git" and then run:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/BitJam/live-usb-maker
git clone https://github.com/BitJam/cli-shell-utils
cd live-usb-maker
sudo ./live-usb-maker
This will only give you the command line version but it works well and is very easy to use especially if you specify the iso file you want to use on the command line like this:

Code: Select all

sudo ./live-usb-maker -f /path/to/iso-file.iso
If you have only one usb stick plugged in then you just need to press <Enter> a few times.

Of course, clone mode only works if you are running MX or antiX live.
Will I cry when it's all over?
When I die will I see Heaven?

Return to “64-bit Newbies”