-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

which repositories to select ?

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: which repositories to select ?

#11 Post by lucky9 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:50 pm

Open Synaptic. Enable the mepiscr and/or the mepiscr test repositories. Reload.
Then in the lower left corner of the main Synaptic window click the Origin button.
Highlight the mepiscr (or the testing one). Only the programs in that repository are displayed.

You can also disable all other repositories (and leave the mepiscr and mepiscr testing) and Reload. However this has no advantage and will require (a lot of the time) to install something you would have to re-enable the other normal repositories and Reload.

To add to what uncle mark said....A mepiscr program is built with the tools that are standard with debian Stable. But they are more 'advanced' than the other programs in Stable. For this reason a general or dist-upgrade (Smart Upgrade in Synaptic) is not always a good idea with the CR repositories enabled. But a single program (or even several most of the time) will not cause a problem when upgrading when the CR is disabled.
Use the same protocol for deb-multimedia. Do not do an upgrade with it enabled.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

L_mck3

Re: which repositories to select ?

#12 Post by L_mck3 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:19 am

so,
i'm ready to say thanks and call this matter "solved" for my 5-year-old amd64 by following
excellent advice as per above.

goto
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... urces.list
and copy the sources list named as "Method 2"

get into file manager as root and paste (overwrite) said sources list @ /etc/apt/sources.list

then,
select sources as per above screenshot named "z_selected_repos_after_paste_file_to_ect_apt_sources_14aug_BEIGE.jpeg"
and reload

now, here's the important detail:
get into synaptic and mark/reload: debian-archive-keyring package & click apply

following that, my package error messages have decided to "cease and desist"

.and.
the "cr's" will be treated with care and invoked at "arm's-length" as per good advice above.

Return to “64-bit Newbies”