-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

which repositories to select ?

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
L_mck3

which repositories to select ?

#1 Post by L_mck3 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:36 pm

desktop 4 years old amd64
unsophisticated user

after a careful read of the m11 manual,
and its link to a youtube demo, i have selected
the 6 repositories shown in the attached image.

yet upon reload, i get several "failed to fetch" errors
which can be seen in a second image attached.

question:
which repositories are appropriate for a average m11 user
with a modest desktop running no bleeding edge or beta ?

thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Utopia
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: which repositories to select ?

#2 Post by Utopia » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:52 pm

You can find the recommended repositories in the Wiki:
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... t_MEPIS_11
Henry

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by kmathern » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:53 pm

The mepis.mirrorcatalogs.com ftp repo hasn't worked for a long time now (since about January or February of 2013)

Uncheck the repo entry at the top of the list (the "deb ftp://mepis.mirrorcatalogs.com/mepis/packages/mepis/ mepis-11.0 main" repo)
Checkmark the entry immediately below it (the "deb http://mepis.mirrorcatalogs.com/packages/mepis/ mepis-11.0 main" repo)
Reload.

You might also check the wiki sources.list: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... t_MEPIS_11, a recent change to it added the Squeeze LTS repos.

edit: the "Could not resolve ..." errors you're getting with the ftp.debian.org & security.debian.org repos might be another type of problem.

L_mck3

#4 Post by L_mck3 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:56 pm

in advance, thanks to all for your help.

before approaching this forum, i did consult our excellent manual regarding repositories
and reading the manual did lead me to the aforementioned wiki page:
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... t_MEPIS_11

said wiki page includes 2 methods by which a novice such as myself can
set the correct repositories:

method 1: watch a youtube video which is dated year 2011 and mimic what is shown in the video
.or.
method 2: copy a text-file which is displayed on the wiki and paste the text-file to: /etc/apt/sources.list

before posting this help request, i carefully followed "Method 1" but found a discrepancy between the name of the mirror repository site shown at the very top of the Youtube list and that uppermost site shown my current synaptic list,
but i did check that one anyway, along with the others indicated in the video.

following synaptic reload, the error message appeared onscreen. said error was attached to my initial post.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

following the advice posted above by kmathern, i opened synaptic and proceeded to
uncheck the topmost "deb ftp://mepis.mirrorcatalogs.com/mepis/packages/mepis/ mepis-11.0 main"
.and.
to check the entry just below" http://mepis.mirrorcatalogs.com/packages/mepis/ mepis-11.0 main"

SO,
WITH THE FOLLOWING REPOS CHECKED IN SYNAPTIC,
see attached file: z_repos_selected_in_synaptic_list_14aug2014.jpeg

UPON RELOAD, THE FOLLOWING ERROR MESSAGE APPEARED ONSCREEN
see attached file: z_error_synaptic_uncheck_top_check_second.jpej

pls advise,
Lmck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by kmathern » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:56 pm

From the urls shown in the 2nd image you just posted, I think your sources are correct with the exception of the "restricted.mepis-deb.org" repo. (the restricted repos are currently not hosted on a server anywhere -- and I didn't notice yesterday that it was enabled)

Like I said yesterday, I think the "Could not resolve" errors might be another type of problem that has nothing to do with your sources.list, maybe a DNS related problem, or maybe what Tim mentioned here: http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 71#p346271 (the tech.slashdot.org link/story).

L_mck3

#6 Post by L_mck3 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:30 pm

again, i truly appreciate the gifting of time & knowledge
to solve the problems of the mepis community.

as an aside, similar fail-to-fetch messages have been occurring for well over a year on a
m-1132bit laptop which travels and is often plugged-in to the internet in Fort Lauderdale FL,
West Virginia, and rural north-western Massachusetts.

it always seems appropriate to carefully read replies posted by the mepis elders
and the kmalthern aside regarding the possibility that this problem could be caused by
DNS or server glitches was duly noted,
.but.
fixing that possibility or working around that possibe problem is beyond the level
of knowledge for my class.

so it seemed best to press ahead attempting to completely perfect the repos sourced
on this machine.

unchecking the source "restricted.mepis-deb.org" and reload delivered yet another
error-message-page.

so the only action within my capabilities appeared to be: go back to the wiki and follow
"Method 2", which is to copy/paste a 27July2014 source list to "/etc/apt/sources.list".

with that done, the synaptic interactive list of the repos is different
.but.
reload still provides errors.

i attach a screen-shot of the "new and improved" synaptic repos list
which results from "Method2":
"z_selected_repos_after_paste_file_to_ect_apt_sources_14AUG_BEIGE.jpeg"

and also attached is a screenshot of the failure notice resulting from a synaptic reload:
"z_errors_following_reload_after_paste_sources_list_14AUG_BIEGE.jpeg

perhaps it is time to leave this alone, and wait for the matter to resolve itself ?
perhaps the wiki "Method 1" could be updated and simplified ?

again, pls advise.
but also pls consider that you are talking to a unsophisticated mepis desciple.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by kmathern » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:38 pm

Reinstalling the 'debian-archive-keyring' package should fix the GPG errors for those two repos.

edit: I don't see the "Could not resolve" errors in the images in your last post, it looks like that part of the problem fixed itself.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by lucky9 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:56 pm

A word of caution about the mepiscr repository. Enable it only for installing a specific program that you feel you need, for features etc. Then disable it. Do not do a general upgrade with it enabled. That goes for the deb-multimedia repository also.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

L_mck3

#9 Post by L_mck3 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:31 pm

a reinstall of deb-archive-keyring put an end to the remaining error messages following reload. ((thanks kmathern)

further, in regards to lucky9 advising the following:
A word of caution about the mepiscr repository.
Enable it only for installing a specific program that you feel you need, for features etc.
Then disable it. Do not do a general upgrade with it enabled.
That goes for the deb-multimedia repository also

questions:
how can i discover which programs reside in those 2 repositories?
.or.
how would a novice know when a wanted "specific program" could be found in one of those repositories?

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by uncle mark » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:45 pm

L_mck3 wrote:how would a novice know when a wanted "specific program" could be found in one of those repositories?
Search on the program name with the CRs DISabled. If it shows up, then you're good.

If not (or you need an updated version than what was available from the main MEPIS or Debian repos), then enable the CRs and try again. If it shows up, then install it ONLY. Then disable the CRs.

The volunteer community packagers do a nearly flawless job of providing new or updated packages for your MEPIS install, but they're not infallible. The advice you've been given is intended to give you the best possible odds against having problems with your OS. MEPIS is renowned for its stability, but that sometimes means the latest and greatest software isn't available from the main MEPIS repositories. The Community Repos are there to fill that gap. Odds are that using them judiciously will never create a problem.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Return to “64-bit Newbies”