-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Looking for a successor to MEPIS 11

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Looking for a successor to MEPIS 11

#31 Post by lucky9 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:29 pm

BurtHulland, have you looked at SolydK BE? BE=Business Edition which is Stable (Wheezy).
Also MX14 with KDE Standard, a one-click install, is Wheezy also. My installation is running quite well.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#32 Post by uncle mark » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Silent Observer wrote: This successfully starts Grub 2 -- if I get that, path shouldn't be an issue, right?
When grub legacy controls the boot, the basic stanzas to other grub-legacy distros (or Windows) and grub2 distros are different.

This is for a grub-legacy distro and Windows:

Code: Select all

title MEPIS 11 at sda2
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1

title Microsoft Windows 7 at sda1
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
This is for a grub2 distro:

title Ubuntu at sdb5
root (hd1,4)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
As mentioned, the file path to core.img in the stanza above may differ slightly, depending on where it's placed by the install.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#33 Post by Silent Observer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:46 pm

uncle mark wrote:This is for a grub2 distro:

title Ubuntu at sdb5
root (hd1,4)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
As mentioned, the file path to core.img in the stanza above may differ slightly, depending on where it's placed by the install.
I was wondering about kmathern's syntax, I thought he'd left out something, assuming I knew about it. Translating this to my particular setup, I'd use something like this:

title Kubuntu 14.04 at sdb1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
This doesn't seem to even reference the vmlinuz* that I'm used to thinking of as the actual kernel, nor invoke initrd -- in fact, it would seem core.img has to be a program of some kind, but it's only 24+ kiB; that's smaller than most bootloaders.

Still, if it'll start Kubuntu, it can be a mystical incantation; I'll worry about understanding it later. Question is, why didn't anyone over on KubuntuForums.net know about this? They just figure if I don't want to use Grub2 and mess up all my existing multi-boot in ways I can't fix from a Live CD, I'm too stupid to live?

Edit: And that stanza invoked the same Grub 2 menu I got using the chainloader syntax similar to launching Windows -- which gave (still) a near-instant kernel panic. It's a little faster, now, just about 1.16 seconds instead of almost 1.3. Starting Kubuntu direct from Grub Legacy with nomodeset (and no other cheats) gave a much longer text scroll (far too fast to read), with kernel panic taking abou 1.21 seconds. :bawling:
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#34 Post by kmathern » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:34 pm

Silent Observer wrote: I was wondering about kmathern's syntax, I thought he'd left out something, assuming I knew about it. Translating this to my particular setup...
I don't think there's anything wrong with the syntax I used (though it might have confused you). If I recall correctly either of the stanzas below would work for me:
  • title Chainload to sda8 with grub2 on it's root
    kernel (hd0,7)/boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
  • title Chainload to sda8 with grub2 on it's root
    root (hd0,7)

Silent Observer wrote:... Translating this to my particular setup, I'd use something like this:

title Kubuntu 14.04 at sdb1
root (hd0,0)
If it's on the sdb1 partition shouldn't the root line be: root (hd1,0) ?

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#35 Post by Silent Observer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:59 am

kmathern wrote:If it's on the sdb1 partition shouldn't the root line be: root (hd1,0) ?
Yeah, you'd think that, wouldn't you? But ever since I first installed Mepis, I've had this crossup going on. In order to avoid overwriting the MBR that starts Windows XP, but still be able to boot to Grub/Linux as default, I set my IDE drive to be the first boot device (after USB and CD-ROM), and the SATA drive to be secondary, which makes the IDE hd0 and the SATA hd1 -- but Grub (and Linux, until the Kubuntu Live USB) has always seen the IDE as sdb. I have to use map (hd0, hd1), map (hd1, hd0) to swap them back when I chainload to Windows.

Despite the fact that the Kubuntu Live USB session sees the IDE as sda, I have to use sdb in the launcher to get Grub to find the startup files. It's been working fine for Mepis (32-bit and 64-bit in different partitions) and antiX for around two years, since I first installed Mepis, and I doubt that's behind the kernel panic (failure to find the files would cause different errors).
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#36 Post by kmathern » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:06 am

I found this stanza from your thread at the Kubuntu forum (https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthrea ... post354722) where you tried to directly boot Kubuntu using grub-legacy
title Kubuntu 14.04 LTS at sda1, kernel 3.13.0-24-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=/dev/sdb1 nomodeset quiet vga=795 nouveau.modeset=0
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
boot
You might try that again, but replace the 'root=/dev/sdb1' with 'root=UUID=<Kubuntu partition's uuid>'
title Kubuntu 14.04 LTS at sda1, kernel 3.13.0-24-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=<Kubuntu partition's uuid> nomodeset quiet vga=795 nouveau.modeset=0
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic
boot
Use the blkid command to find what the Kubuntu partition's uuid is.

You could also label the Kubuntu partition (with gparted or e2label), and then use 'root=LABEL=<Kubuntu partition's label>' instead of 'root=/dev/sdb1'.
If you do that I would be careful in what you use for the label (i.e. just use the letters A-Z (upper & lower case) and numerics).

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#37 Post by lucky9 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:07 am

With no spaces of course. I made that mistake once.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#38 Post by asqwerth » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:37 am

Silent Observer, this is probably a silly suggestion you've already tried, but instead of manually editing the menu.lst file in your Mepis 11 installation, have you tried just updating grub from Mepis?

Maybe Mepis' grub will recognise your Kubuntu partition it in a way that works for legacy grub. After the update-grub, you could then open the menu.lst file and see what's there?

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#39 Post by kmathern » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:04 pm

asqwerth wrote:Silent Observer, this is probably a silly suggestion you've already tried, but instead of manually editing the menu.lst file in your Mepis 11 installation, have you tried just updating grub from Mepis?

Maybe Mepis' grub will recognise your Kubuntu partition it in a way that works for legacy grub. After the update-grub, you could then open the menu.lst file and see what's there?
That might work, but I still think specifying the Kubuntu partition with some form of persistent naming (UUID or LABEL) is a better way to do it.
The device assignments can vary from one boot to the next when using block device notation (/dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, etc.).

eselma
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#40 Post by eselma » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:16 pm

lucky9 wrote:BurtHulland, have you looked at SolydK BE? BE=Business Edition which is Stable (Wheezy).
Also MX14 with KDE Standard, a one-click install, is Wheezy also. My installation is running quite well.
- This is my setup now. Debian Wheezy + KDE in two flavours: 32 & 64 bit, the antiX/Mepis way, and the SolydxK way. Both are sharing the same data partition ('Documents' and some config files, not the whole 'home' directory). Both rock-solid, and tweaked to my taste.

Return to “64-bit Newbies”