-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Making an ISO image of my hard drive?

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Making an ISO image of my hard drive?

#21 Post by Jerry3904 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:58 am

The LIVE ISO is here (not sure what Trusty English is...):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qt4-fsa ... 0Language/
Production: 4.15.0-1-amd64, MX-17.1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.15.0-1-386. MX-17.1, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#22 Post by joany » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:12 am

Jerry3904 wrote:The LIVE ISO is here (not sure what Trusty English is...):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qt4-fsa ... 0Language/
Thanks for the correction. I mistakenly linked to the wrong version. I'll correct my post.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#23 Post by lucky9 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:42 pm

Plus you should always remember to use the aufs Cheatcode when booting a LiveCD/DVD of Mepis that you want to install software on during the Live session.
And I agree with joany about doing Images from a booted LiveDisk.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#24 Post by Dieselrider » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:14 pm

lucky9 wrote:Plus you should always remember to use the aufs Cheatcode when booting a LiveCD/DVD of Mepis that you want to install software on during the Live session.
????

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#25 Post by lucky9 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:22 pm

Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#26 Post by Dieselrider » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:39 pm

tried the cheatcode 'aufs' and was able to install systemback while on live dvd. Tried to run the program and I get a " cannot connect to x server" message.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#27 Post by lucky9 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:25 pm

I know very little about systemback. Perhaps someone has a thought on this.

(Personally I'd suggest, again, the Clonezilla LiveCD (about 120 MB). Or an old copy of PartedMagic (last one I downloaded) which has it on it's default LiveCD.
--Mark Twain

rokytnji.1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#28 Post by rokytnji.1 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:16 am

Thanks guys and gals. I will add it to my

http://redobackup.org/

collection of isos. Glad I have a external drive for this stuff.

asqwerth
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#29 Post by asqwerth » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:23 am

I'm not sure if this is a practical solution for you since your home partition is at least 65 GB and I deal mainly with partitions no larger than 20GB, but here is a simple but time-consuming way: Run Gparted from another distro on your hard disk (ie, a distro that is not on the partition you wish to backup) or from a live disk, to carry out resizing, copy and paste operations:

1. create a partition on your spare drive such that the size of the new partition is just slightly bigger than the size of the partition (your root, home etc partitions) to be backed up.

2. right click on the partition to be copied (in the Gparted interface) and select "copy" in the context menu.

3. right click on the partition in the spare disk you are using to store the backup and select "paste" . It'll take some time but the copy will be made.

4. then, resize the backup partition to make it smaller - I reduce the size to just a little bigger than the used portion of the partition.

5. partition your new disk so that the destination partition is bigger than the resized backup partition.

6. copy over the backup partition to your new partition.

If your home partition is on a separate partition as your root partition, you'll have to repeat the process. If all your music, pics, documents and other data files are all stored elsewhere, it's likely your root and home partitions aren't that big and the process won't take that long. However, if your intention is to back up your large data partition, you might want to use one of the other recommendations in this thread.

I have used the cut and paste method to back up 6 to 7 distros in one sitting, when I decided to do some shifting and resizing of the partitions on my hard drive. I pasted them all back later without any problems. Even their UUID identities didn't change (I checked with blkid) after pasting back except for the relocated swap partition.

Grub has to be updated. I didn't touch my distro that holds the controlling grub, so I just booted into that to do so.

If you are transferring your home and root partitions to a fresh hard drive that's going to be your replacement drive in your computer, I think you'll need to install grub in your new drive afterwards. you could probably use the tools on the live Mepis disk, PartedMagic or SystemRescue to reinstall grub.

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#30 Post by Dieselrider » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:29 am

Maybe I am misunderstanding everything on all levels here. Here is a screenshot of my disc setup currently in the box.The usage in sdb1 (which is my backup) is a couple copies of my home partition and the system restore point I was able to make. So basically, I have my data copied. Do I need an iso image of that or just of my root partition, which is 20 GB in size but, only about 5 GB used in that partition? Isn't that where the system settings and such are stored?
snapshot30.png
I was under the understanding that in using Clonezilla, I would need to have another partition the same size as the one being copied? I can do that if cloning root. I cannot do that if cloning home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “64-bit Newbies”