-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Making an ISO image of my hard drive?

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Making an ISO image of my hard drive?

#11 Post by Dieselrider » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Stevo wrote:We also have Systemback in the M12 and M11 testing CR. It allows for backups, plus creation of bootable Live ISOs with an installer.
What commands are needed to run systemback? Thanks

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by Stevo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:14 am

Dieselrider wrote:
Stevo wrote:We also have Systemback in the M12 and M11 testing CR. It allows for backups, plus creation of bootable Live ISOs with an installer.
What commands are needed to run systemback? Thanks
It's a GUI, so you just need to run it from the System menu. The buttons are pretty much self -explanatory. It has a limit of a 4.4 GB DVD, so don't include too much when creating a Live ISO of your system.

I also forgot that it can can create system restore points, just like in Windows. Those won't do you much good if your whole drive fails, though.

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Post by Dieselrider » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Stevo wrote:
It's a GUI, so you just need to run it from the System menu. The buttons are pretty much self -explanatory. It has a limit of a 4.4 GB DVD, so don't include too much when creating a Live ISO of your system.

I also forgot that it can can create system restore points, just like in Windows. Those won't do you much good if your whole drive fails, though.
What would be good to include? I have probably 65 plus gig just in my home partition.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#14 Post by lucky9 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Big Data like music and photos may be saved separately. You'll need files that are sized to fit on a DVD. (Unless there's an External HDD that's big enough to handle that size of a complete backup.

Again, if you're having trouble using a drive that's bad enough to need a freezer to access, you may need something like ddrescue (in a Konsole/Terminal) to copy the data to another HDD first. Use it's log function to keep track of what's already been copied.
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Ddrescue
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-do-i- ... mmand.html
Photorec is another option that may be easier for some to use on a failing disk.
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=PhotoRec

A new drive will (should) allow the External HDD (with an Image backup) to write the Image to the new disk or correctly sized partition/s. I'd want /root backed up so I'd not lose the programs I'd installed. That's a separate operation unless you're imaging the entire disk.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by Dieselrider » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:25 pm

lucky9 wrote:Big Data like music and photos may be saved separately. You'll need files that are sized to fit on a DVD. (Unless there's an External HDD that's big enough to handle that size of a complete backup.

Again, if you're having trouble using a drive that's bad enough to need a freezer to access, you may need something like ddrescue (in a Konsole/Terminal) to copy the data to another HDD first. Use it's log function to keep track of what's already been copied.
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=Ddrescue
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-do-i- ... mmand.html
Photorec is another option that may be easier for some to use on a failing disk.
http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php?title=PhotoRec

A new drive will (should) allow the External HDD (with an Image backup) to write the Image to the new disk or correctly sized partition/s. I'd want /root backed up so I'd not lose the programs I'd installed. That's a separate operation unless you're imaging the entire disk.
Okay, I have another 500 GB HDD in the box and after copying everything to that drive, I still have a big chunk of free space. So, once the new drive arrives, and I reinstall an OS onto it, could I then move the ISO image of my now root partition to the new root partition? The iso of the home partition to the new home partition?

Or, do I need to have them on a DVD and install from there? Sorry, I'm so dense.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Post by lucky9 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:50 pm

I know that Clonezilla will allow an Image to be used as a recovery disk. The partitions need to be about the same size. The instructions are very clear. You can go through them without committing to actually doing any copying. Get comfortable with the interface. It's not 'rocket science' to use.

I should mention that I use a HDD (sdb) for some experiments on occasion. I use Clonezilla to do the Images of the entire drive, and to recover from those Images. The only time I've had any trouble was with using ReiserFS. It wouldn't complete an Image. They fixed that problem. But I standardized on Ext4 and Ext2 File Systems for my uses here.

(Short answer is yes. The sdb installation will boot after a recovery.)
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#17 Post by Dieselrider » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:23 pm

After playing with "systemback" awhile, I have come to the conclusion that I am not bright enough to make it work. I have been able to create a couple "restore points" but have not figured out how to make an image of my system onto the spare drive to restore it to the new drive later. The new drive is here so, I guess I will have to put it in and boot to the live dvd and do an install, then try to copy the old data over to it.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#18 Post by lucky9 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:46 pm

There is a sync function in System Assistant. I've not used it but it should sync the copy that you've made to a similar-sized partition on the new HDD. I believe you can do everything from the booted Mepis 11 LiveDVD.
--Mark Twain

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#19 Post by Dieselrider » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:20 pm

Tried running systemback from my system while on that system. Nocan figure out anything other then making restore points. I figured I'd boot the live DVD of M11 and just download it there and run it. No good. Something wrong with the repositories or something that was with the old live dvd I have . Booted to the live dvd of MX14. No good it doesn't appear to be there either. I will just have to do a reinstall but, that will just have to wait. There is so much to make work again and get customized to get back to where I am currently. Ie: getting the brother printer to work remembering just what I had downloaded and set up. Uggghhh!

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#20 Post by joany » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:43 am

If you have a USB thumb drive, you could make an image of your / and /home partitions and save it there. Imaging software will typically reduce the image down to 40% - 50% of the used space on a partition, so both / and /home should easily fit on an 8GB thumb drive.

A fairly efficient and easy-to-use application that will do this is qt4-fsarchiver. It runs from a Live CD, which you can download from Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/qt4-fsa ... 0Language/

The Live CD puts you into an Ubuntu session, so you'll need to use the 'sudo' protocol for root actions. The CD has a file manager, web browser, and of course the qt4-fsarchiver application, which has a nice GUI. The sudo password (and the password for launching fsarchiver from the menu) is 'ubuntu'.

There isn't much written documentation for this application. Fortunately, someone made a YouTube video that takes you through the steps of backing up a system (Debian) using qt4-fsarchiver: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSKjGbLbflU

(The difference is that the YouTube shows qt4-fsarchiver running from Debian instead of from the Live CD, but the backup procedure is similar. I always do backups and restores off-line from a Live CD session. I think it's safer that way.)

EDIT:
Corrected the link for the Live CD.
Last edited by joany on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Return to “64-bit Newbies”