-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Making an ISO image of my hard drive?

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Making an ISO image of my hard drive?

#41 Post by Dieselrider » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:23 pm

I see now, what I did wrong. I made the wrong selection right off the bat rather than cloning the whole disk. My bad. Running it again to get the whole disk.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#42 Post by lucky9 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:27 pm

The choices are fairly clear:

Choose the disk image not the partition image (if the disks are the same size). And remember that Clonezilla will ask for where you want the image to be written first (choose sdb)...then it will ask what disk to use to take the image from (sda).

Any questions, just ask. But reading the information on each choice is a good idea. And remember nothing is written until you tell it to write and then confirm that choice. So you can do several 'dry runs' to get comfortable with the process.

Probably a good idea to run a file system check from the Mepis LiveDisk after the clone is complete. If the old drive (the original sda) had errors then this should straighten things out for sdb. Then you can swap out the bad drive for the good one. You should be able to boot once you've moved the new drive to the sda position.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#43 Post by Dieselrider » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:54 pm

Back up and running with the new drive in sda. Thank you Lucky9.

I am also installing mx 14 on the laptop to see if I can configure it to something I like. If so there then maybe a new install here. I really like M11 but, I need something that will sync to Google drive with all my email contacts in Thunderbird etc. M11 used to but I find now that if I ebter contacts in Chromium, they do not show up in TBird.

So much technology for this old farm boy.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#44 Post by lucky9 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:35 pm

You might try asking in a new thread about the contacts thing. It may only be a setting that needs changing. I don't use Chromium (usually), so don't have a clue.

You might think about the /home partition being way bigger than needed. Resizing it with GParted would work. However if you like it the way it is then there is no real need for sure.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

FungalNet
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#45 Post by FungalNet » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:19 am

Refracta, if you can get it installed, makes an Iso of the system, it can be a DVD/USB live copy of your installation and can reinstall your system in another drive.
If it works with devuan it should work easy here as well. There are actually 4 pkgs, snapshot, installer and their corresponding guis.
Look for the devuan-experimental repository to get them easily, this is where they are stored. Or you can get the packages from github/sourceforge (can't remember which). Devuan hasn't officially accepted them as stable, although they use them on their isos, but it is bulletproof and easy to use.

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#46 Post by anticapitalista » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:22 am

MX and antiX have their own tools to do this so need to use the ones in Refracta
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

FungalNet
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#47 Post by FungalNet » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:53 am

Your message is incomplete, what are they? I hope you don't mean the Debian routine of making a live image.
Long ago I tried and tried to learn the way to do in Debian, always something went wrong and it took way to long to find out.
With refracta after four clicks I tried something and it worked on 1st try.
I really like to try the tools you are referring to, I just don't know anything about them.

anticapitalista
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#48 Post by anticapitalista » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:18 am

anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX-17 "Heather Heyer" - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Return to “64-bit Newbies”