-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Making an ISO image of my hard drive?

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Making an ISO image of my hard drive?

#1 Post by Dieselrider » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:20 am

I did this once but, it's been awhile. I think I was able to do it from the live dvd of M11. Does that sound correct?

Also, if there are errors on the current HD will they persist if I copy the image onto a new drive? There are several errors when I ran a backup so, I am not sure the backup will be much good in the future. Will an ISO image keep my data safe or no? Thanks

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Making an ISO image of my hard drive?

#2 Post by joany » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:28 am

I don't know how to make an .iso file of an entire HDD (with multiple partitions), but you can make separate files of individual partitions using partition imaging software. One freebie piece of software I can recommend is fsarchiver. It runs from a bootable CD.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by Dieselrider » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:33 am

joany wrote:I don't know how to make an .iso file of an entire HDD (with multiple partitions), but you can make separate files of individual partitions using partition imaging software. One freebie piece of software I can recommend is fsarchiver. It runs from a bootable CD.
Sometimes my mess gets all talked up. That is what I meant is to make an image of my "home" partition. I don't think that is what I used last time but, I will take a look. Thanks Joany.

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Stevo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:27 am

We also have Systemback in the M12 and M11 testing CR. It allows for backups, plus creation of bootable Live ISOs with an installer.

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Post by Dieselrider » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:54 pm

Stevo wrote:We also have Systemback in the M12 and M11 testing CR. It allows for backups, plus creation of bootable Live ISOs with an installer.
So, I could make an ISO of my home partition and then install it in the new drive when it comes?

entropyfoe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by entropyfoe » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:08 pm

How about using Clonezilla?

You can backup your partition as an image.

-Jay
Asus Prime 370X-Pro
AMD Ryzen 1600X (12 threads @ 3.6 GHz)
16 Gig DDR4 3200 (G Skill)
Nvidia -MSI GeForce GT 710 fanless
Samsung 960 NVMe SSD nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-17.1, P4=MX 18 betas
1TB SSD sda1= Data, 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#7 Post by uncle mark » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Dieselrider wrote:
Stevo wrote:We also have Systemback in the M12 and M11 testing CR. It allows for backups, plus creation of bootable Live ISOs with an installer.
So, I could make an ISO of my home partition and then install it in the new drive when it comes?
Don't complicate it. Just copy the contents of your home somewhere, then copy the contents back to the new home on the new drive. In fact, you should have done that (the copying part) already.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Post by lucky9 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:36 pm

If /home is all that's needed then yes, copy it now. For Images I use Clonezilla. It can make an Image of a partition or a disk. It uses compression and leaves out the empty space. Making the Image much smaller. It's on bootable CD. If you have a copy of PartedMagic you already have a copy of Clonezilla.
If the drive is too far gone to make an Image you'll need to use PhotoRec or ddrescue. ddrescue is included on a lot of 'rescue LiveCDs'. Instructions are available in our wiki.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

NGIB
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by NGIB » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:58 pm

I'll jump in here.

To make an ISO of your system, you could use snapshot and I'm surprised nobody mentioned that. It works great but it takes a while especially on older hardware.

Just copying /home does not save all the work you've done customizing the system. Adding & removing programs, etc. I hate doing basic reinstalls as then I have to get rid of the stuff I don't want, add stuff I do want, and tweak the system. An installable ISO made from my system reinstalls my system.

Clonezilla does a great job but you have to reinstall on a partition that's exactly the same - no flexibility.

I'm going to test FSarchiver myself tonight and see if it provides a good solution for systems that do not have a remaster/snapshot capability. I setup my son with Mint over the weekend as it was easier for him to use than MX-14. I want to be able to backup his installed system without the partition limits Clonezilla mandates.
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by Dieselrider » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:01 pm

uncle mark wrote:
Dieselrider wrote:
Don't complicate it. Just copy the contents of your home somewhere, then copy the contents back to the new home on the new drive. In fact, you should have done that (the copying part) already.
I did that onto the other drive on board. You or someone had mentioned about cooling fans and I had installed a couple fans awhile back and everything does run cooler now.

Return to “64-bit Newbies”