-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Looks like another hard drive failure.

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Looks like another hard drive failure.

#1 Post by Dieselrider » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:45 am

I WAS running M11 64 bit. Everything seemed normal this morning, was online etc. Went to go online again and FF would not start. Tried to look at my system monitor, it would not come up. Tried a reboot and it appears that the system is not seeing my Seagate Hard drive. It is seeing my backup drive which is a Hatachi but of course there is no boot menu on there.

Is there anyway to check out the Seagate drive for problems or am I just to assume it is toast? I ran a memory test last time I had problems and everything seemed okay then.

I am runing mx 14 off the live CD right now.
Thanks

jdmeaux1952
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Looks like another hard drive failure.

#2 Post by jdmeaux1952 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:03 am

SystemRescueCD is the first that pops up to me. It is Gentoo-based but does help you to rescue damaged computer systems.

Link: http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

Here are some of the programs on it.

* fdisk for editing disk partition table
* PartImage disk imaging software
* TestDisk for recovering lost partition
* PhotoRec for recovering lost data
* GNU Parted and GParted for partitioning disks and resizing partitions
* File system tools: file system create, delete, resize, move
* Ability to create boot disk for operating systems
MSI S6000 i5-460M 4Gb mem
I am not CrAzY. And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!
LRU# 563815
Phear the Penguin

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Post by Stevo » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:10 am

So the drive won't mount at all with the LiveCD, so that you can't pull anything off it? If you need to rescue anything of importance from it, maybe a local computer shop can run Spinrite on it and fix it, if that's the case. You can then run smartctl tools on it from the MX CD and see if it's throwing a lot of errors.

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#4 Post by Dieselrider » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:52 am

You guys aren't going to believe this. I removed the HD in question and put it in the freezer for a couple hours, removed it and it booted. I am on my box right now.

Going to run lucky backup now but, what diagnostics should I run on this drive to see what is what? From live dvd/ cd or is there something I can do while on the box? Thanks

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by uncle mark » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Dieselrider wrote:You guys aren't going to believe this. I removed the HD in question and put it in the freezer for a couple hours, removed it and it booted. I am on my box right now.

Going to run lucky backup now but, what diagnostics should I run on this drive to see what is what? From live dvd/ cd or is there something I can do while on the box? Thanks
Since the freezer trick worked, the assumption has to be that you have a mechanical problem with the drive. No software can fix a hard drive that has failed mechanically. Now that it's running get everything off of it you need, then repalce it.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

jdmeaux1952
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by jdmeaux1952 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:26 pm

Like uncle mark said, get everything you need off that drive as quickly as possible. And plan on buying another.
MSI S6000 i5-460M 4Gb mem
I am not CrAzY. And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!
LRU# 563815
Phear the Penguin

m_pav
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#7 Post by m_pav » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:21 pm

You don't need third party ISO's to diagnose and fix a hard disk, MX-14 has sufficient for diagnosing and extracting data built right in.

sudo smartctl -A /dev/sdx (where x is your hard disk letter) will produce a nicel output. Check item numbers 5, 196, 197 & 198. If the raw value is anything other than a zero. your drive has faults.
Mike P

Regd Linux User #472293
(Mine)Lenovo T560, i7-6600U, 16GB, 2.0TB SSHD, MX17 64-bit
(Wifes) Asus M4A88TD-M, AMD Phenom II x4 955 CPU, nVidia GF610, 6Gb, 500GB+320GB, MX17 + KDE
(Kids) Intel NUC, J1900, 4GB, 64GB SSD, MX17

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#8 Post by Dieselrider » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:36 pm

m_pav wrote:You don't need third party ISO's to diagnose and fix a hard disk, MX-14 has sufficient for diagnosing and extracting data built right in.

sudo smartctl -A /dev/sdx (where x is your hard disk letter) will produce a nicel output. Check item numbers 5, 196, 197 & 198. If the raw value is anything other than a zero. your drive has faults.
Thank you, I will do that from the live cd of MX-14. I mostly just want to eliminate any possibility of a connection or contact error before ordering a new drive. May order one anyway just to have a back up.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#9 Post by joany » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:55 pm

m_pav wrote:You don't need third party ISO's to diagnose and fix a hard disk, MX-14 has sufficient for diagnosing and extracting data built right in.

Would the three GSmartControl tests -- Short Self-test, Extended Self-test and Conveyance Self-test -- provide any additional information that's useful?
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#10 Post by lucky9 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:06 pm

Getting data off the drive is the primary goal. Then and only then can you start a diagnosis. After the GSmartControl tests (if it passes) I'd use TestDisk. But I'd guess the drive is toast. It's possible there's a bad cable. You can swap in a spare cable fairly easily. But that's just the last thing before replacing the drive.

Make an Image of the drive on your External Drive. With compression and no empty space it won't be nearly as big. I use Clonezilla (bootable LiveCD is about 100 MB). A quick search will find a lot of tools that will do this. MX14 will do the all tests needed.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Return to “64-bit Newbies”