-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Iceweasel cannot load audios

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
radissthor
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Iceweasel cannot load audios

#11 Post by radissthor » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:31 pm

kmathern wrote:In about:plugins is any other plugin (other than "VLC Web Plugin") shown for mp3?

M12 might have come with some other plugin preinstalled, but I don't recall what it was.
No, the VLC plugin is the only one that names mp3s.

From the comments that everyone seems to be able to play the link, I am starting to think I might have, at some point, removed something (a library perhaps) that caused this mess. I would guess this happened when I upgraded my iceweasel, but can't be sure.

@JBoman, how can I check whether the issue is conflicting plugins? Just trial and error?

Thanks.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by kmathern » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Run this and post the results

Code: Select all

dpkg -l | grep vlc

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by Stevo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:22 pm

As a test, I removed all the media plugins from firefox-28.0, and was still able to play the stream. I believe that Firefox now ships with mp3 and h.264 support by default. After some research, it appears that it's using the system gstreamer libraries to do so. To disable gstreamer, check the media.gstreamer.enabled in the about:config, set it to False.

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#14 Post by eemaestro » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:39 pm

If that doesn't work, you might want to try Stevo's other fix he mentionedhere:
http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/viewtop ... 16&t=35682

radissthor
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by radissthor » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:11 pm

kmathern wrote:Run this and post the results

dpkg -l | grep vlc

ii  browser-plugin-vlc                    2.0.0-2                            amd64        multimedia plugin for web browsers based on VLC
ii  libvlc5                               2.0.3-5                            amd64        multimedia player and streamer library
ii  libvlccore5                           2.0.3-5                            amd64        base library for VLC and its modules
ii  mozilla-plugin-vlc                    2.0.0-2                            amd64        transitional dummy package
ii  phonon-backend-vlc                    0.6.0-1                            amd64        Phonon VLC backend
ii  vlc                                   2.0.3-5                            amd64        multimedia player and streamer
ii  vlc-data                              2.0.3-5                            all          Common data for VLC
ii  vlc-nox                               2.0.3-5                            amd64        multimedia player and streamer (without X support)
Stevo wrote:As a test, I removed all the media plugins from firefox-28.0, and was still able to play the stream. I believe that Firefox now ships with mp3 and h.264 support by default. After some research, it appears that it's using the system gstreamer libraries to do so. To disable gstreamer, check the media.gstreamer.enabled in the about:config, set it to False.
Stevo's fix worked! I set media.gstreamer.enabled to false on about:config and audio works perfectly again!

So this was, then, an issue of conflicting plugins or what? (just to be clear)

Thanks to all for your help and valuable input :)

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#16 Post by Stevo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:56 pm

It just may be the vlc plugin that causes the problem--I have mine set to true and had gecko-mediaplayer installed, and did not have any issues. Though I have also installed the old mediaplayerconnectivity extension so I can watch non-Flash streams in a VLC window if I want--then I can hit the Record button if I want to record part of a stream that gets interesting.

Return to “64-bit Newbies”