-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Flash plugin crashes frequently

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Flash plugin crashes frequently

#11 Post by Silent Observer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:22 am

Stevo wrote:Just checking...is this the 64-bit Seamonkey tarball from their "contrib", not the standard 32-bit that they offer by default?
Yes, it is.
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Flash plugin crashes frequently

#12 Post by Silent Observer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Checking back on this -- with Linterna Magica installed, I'm pretty much fine on YouTube (give or take a couple extra clicks to get the video started), but several other sites that use Flash based video players still crash my Flash plugin on a routine basis. This worked fine as recently as late January (I only noticed it after I got out of the hospital on the 29th, it was working before my surgery), and the only change I recall over that time frame was an upgrade to my nVidia driver; no change in SeaMonkey version (the upgrade from 2.21 to 2.23 was before then), and no change in Flash version before this started failing (I've since upgraded Flash, but without gaining anything).

I wonder if this isn't a symptom of Flash-based players on the web sites starting to demand a newer version of Flash than is available in Linux without Pepper? I've seen that with Facebook games one of my in-home users likes to play; they work fine in Windows, but the only way I've been able to make them play in Linux was to install antiX and Google Chrome on the no-Windows system she sometimes uses. Those games give an error message when they fail due to Flash version, but I can't be sure video sites will do a good job of maintaining their players...
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

Return to “64-bit Newbies”