-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Slow screen recovery after nVidia driver update?

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
qtech
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Slow screen recovery after nVidia driver update?

#11 Post by qtech » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:59 pm

Silent Observer wrote:Well, I thought that had solved things -- the screen behaved very well for a little while, but then it started acting up again. I get the unlock dialog promptly, but after unlocking I usually get 10-15 seconds of continued screen saver, and either a prompt screen refresh with a delayed cursor appearance, or an off-white screen (less bright than a full white on this monitor, with a little buff tone -- no idea of the significance of that) lasting 10-15 seconds, followed by a desktop load but with no mouse cursor for up to a minute. I still don't see anything that really jumps out in logs, but I do see multiple logs with this (no time stamp):

Code: Select all

nvLock: client timed out, taking the lock
This strikes me as likely to be related; nvLock looks like a function possibly related to nVidia drivers...
I'm not sure this is necessarily a related issue to your earlier one. When you say you "got the unlock dialog", are you saying that video was working fine, you locked the screen, came back later and tried to log back in? If this is correct, was the PC, hard drive and/or monitor asleep? If this is also correct, then the issue involves power-management which is a whole different ballgame. I ask because you appear to have an Nvidia chipset of which I know little. Are nvidia chipsets well supported in Linux?

And would you clarify something for me? Is this the motherboard in your sig? I ask because the P6NGM-L is an MSI motherboard not Asus.

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#12 Post by Silent Observer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:13 pm

qtech wrote:I'm not sure this is necessarily a related issue to your earlier one. When you say you "got the unlock dialog", are you saying that video was working fine, you locked the screen, came back later and tried to log back in? If this is correct, was the PC, hard drive and/or monitor asleep? If this is also correct, then the issue involves power-management which is a whole different ballgame. I ask because you appear to have an Nvidia chipset of which I know little. Are nvidia chipsets well supported in Linux?

And would you clarify something for me? Is this the motherboard in your sig? I ask because the P6NGM-L is an MSI motherboard not Asus.
I don't know how it wouldn't be a "related issue" -- it's the same behavior (perhaps I didn't describe it precisely enough). FWIW, it seems that if I manually lock the screen, it's okay, but if it locks automatically (too long without user input like mouse movement or keyboard activity) I see this behavior. It's my understanding that nVidia is well supported, in that the chip manufacturer vigorously maintains a Linux native driver, which I'm using (and upgrading which introduced this behavior, though reverting to the previous recommended release doesn't, after all, appear to have corrected the problem), though due to the non-free nature of the driver I have to use smxi or sgfxi to install the driver (that is, it's not available from a package repository and the vendor doesn't supply it as a .deb -- though they do apparently offer source code I could in theory compile myself).

But yes, what I'm saying is that if I leave the computer (or just sit without input, as for instance when watching a video online) for two minutes (which is my set screen saver time) and the screen saver kicks in, even before the password lock enables after one additional minute, I'll get some variation of the delayed recovery. It's not always the same -- sometimes I'll get the off-white screen, sometimes I won't, and the time delay to recover the mouse cursor after the wallpaper and icons reload is highly variable, anything from a few seconds to what seems like a full minute -- and as I noted, this doesn't appear to happen if I manually lock the screen (right click wallpaper, "Lock Screen"); I haven't confirmed a single instance on a manual lock since I started watching for that. This is not power management, at least not that I've intentionally set up; I don't have this computer set to "sleep" because I don't like waiting for recovery and have little/no experience setting up sleep mode; further, I run BOINC computation 24/7, and sleep mode would interrupt my crunching.

Edit: re: power management, I just verified, I'm set to "performance" profile at all times (this is a desktop tower system without battery power), which uses power management only for the monitor, and that only long after the screen saver locks the screen. I did recently replace my nine year old CRT with a used LCD (same resolution and refresh rate), but the monitor is clearly working before the desktop is accessible since I can see the locked-screen login and the screen saver graphics running behind it when I return to the console and touch a key or move the mouse.
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

qtech
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#13 Post by qtech » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:16 pm

Silent Observer wrote:
I don't know how it wouldn't be a "related issue" -- it's the same behavior (perhaps I didn't describe it precisely enough).
Thank you for clarifying. And yes, you are correct, it is obviously still the same issue.

It's my understanding that nVidia is well supported, in that the chip manufacturer vigorously maintains a Linux native driver, which I'm using
I am not referring to the video driver but rather your motherboards North Bridge running an Nvidia nForce610i chpset. But the issue is moot as I understand the symptoms more clearly now.

So, you mention the monitor. What is its native refresh rate and what is the refresh rate currently set for?

...though reverting to the previous recommended release doesn't, after all, appear to have corrected the problem), though due to the non-free nature of the driver I have to use smxi or sgfxi to install the driver (that is, it's not available from a package repository and the vendor doesn't supply it as a .deb
The idea is to download their 'package' which is actually sort of a script that you can execute. Just find the right file, download, and run from console:

sh NVIDIA....pkg.run
I've used sgfxi for so long now that I can't recall, but you may have to right-click on the file and make it executable.

Have you looked at the /var/log/Xorg.log(s) in particular? That's where you will often find clues about video issues. And again, to be sure I understand clearly, this problem did not exist until you upgraded the driver? If this is correct, then I can offer a potential resolution. Incidentally, I have experienced the sort of issues that you describe (buts its been a long while). And short of a blown capacitor on the card, this is resolvable. Maybe not by me, but definitely resolvable.

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#14 Post by Silent Observer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:52 am

qtech wrote:So, you mention the monitor. What is its native refresh rate and what is the refresh rate currently set for?
It's a Samsung SyncMaster 191T; I'm not sure what refresh rate you're referring to. I've got what I'm used to calling vertical rate set at "auto" in the vNidia settings (choices other than auto are 60 Hz and 75 Hz, but I don't know which one is actually being used), resolution at the native 1280x1024. An online review I found lists the pixel response rate at 25 ms, though I'm not sure that's relevant.

...though reverting to the previous recommended release doesn't, after all, appear to have corrected the problem), though due to the non-free nature of the driver I have to use smxi or sgfxi to install the driver (that is, it's not available from a package repository and the vendor doesn't supply it as a .deb
The idea is to download their 'package' which is actually sort of a script that you can execute. Just find the right file, download, and run from console:

sh NVIDIA....pkg.run
I've used sgfxi for so long now that I can't recall, but you may have to right-click on the file and make it executable.
Perhaps that's the bit I haven't gotten previously, though I also understand I have to be existed from X (i.e at a command line with the x server processes stopped) in order to install the new driver, and sgfxi handles updating the xorg.conf for me if that's needed.
Have you looked at the /var/log/Xorg.log(s) in particular? That's where you will often find clues about video issues. And again, to be sure I understand clearly, this problem did not exist until you upgraded the driver? If this is correct, then I can offer a potential resolution. Incidentally, I have experienced the sort of issues that you describe (buts its been a long while). And short of a blown capacitor on the card, this is resolvable. Maybe not by me, but definitely resolvable.
I'm pretty certain this problem did not exist after installing the "new" monitor, but only appeared after I installed the 331.20 driver; there was a time interval of a couple weeks between the monitor upgrade and the driver upgrade, and I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed. If this were a blown capacitor, I think it's much more likely the video would have quit entirely, than to give this kind of odd behavior.

Here's my xorg.0.log (which I presume has the zero to indicate it's for video zero):

X.Org X Server 1.7.7
Release Date: 2010-05-04
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.10-3-amd64 x86_64 Debian
Current Operating System: Linux Donald 2.6.36-1-mepis64-smp #1 SMP Thu Mar 31 15:10:33 CDT 2011 x86_64
Kernel command line: root=/dev/sdb7 nomce quiet splash vga=788 xdrvr=nvidia confx
Build Date: 22 October 2013  09:04:18AM
xorg-server 2:1.7.7-17 (Moritz Muehlenhoff <jmm@debian.org>) 
Current version of pixman: 0.21.2
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Jan 17 20:50:46 2014
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) ServerLayout "Layout0"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**) |   |-->Device "Device0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
(**) Option "Xinerama" "0"
(==) Automatically adding devices
(==) Automatically enabling devices
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
	Entry deleted from font path.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
(==) FontPath set to:
	/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
	/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
	/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
	/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
	/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,
	built-ins
(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
(**) Extension "Composite" is enabled
(WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
(WW) Disabling Keyboard0
(WW) Disabling Mouse0
(II) Loader magic: 0x7c85a0
(II) Module ABI versions:
	X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
	X.Org Video Driver: 6.0
	X.Org XInput driver : 7.0
	X.Org Server Extension : 2.0
(++) using VT number 7

(--) PCI: (0:0:3:3) 10de:07da:1462:7366 nVidia Corporation MCP73 Co-processor rev 162, Mem @ 0xfce80000/524288
(--) PCI:*(0:2:0:0) 10de:1040:10de:0915 nVidia Corporation rev 161, Mem @ 0xfd000000/16777216, 0xf0000000/134217728, 0xfa000000/33554432, I/O @ 0x0000ec00/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/524288
(II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
(II) LoadModule: "extmod"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
(II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	compiled for 1.7.7, module version = 1.0.0
	Module class: X.Org Server Extension
	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension SELinux
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
(II) Loading extension X-Resource
(II) LoadModule: "dbe"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
(II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
	compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module  319.72  Wed Oct 30 17:39:53 PDT 2013
(II) Loading extension GLX
(II) LoadModule: "record"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/librecord.so
(II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	compiled for 1.7.7, module version = 1.13.0
(II) Loading extension RECORD
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
(II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	compiled for 1.7.7, module version = 1.1.0
(II) Loading extension DRI2
(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
	compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  319.72  Wed Oct 30 17:19:14 PDT 2013
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 02@00:00:0
(II) Loading sub module "fb"
(II) LoadModule: "fb"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
(II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
(II) Loading sub module "wfb"
(II) LoadModule: "wfb"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so
(II) Module wfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading sub module "shadow"
(II) LoadModule: "shadow"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libshadow.so
(II) Module shadow: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	compiled for 1.7.7, module version = 1.1.0
(II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
(II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
(II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "Stereo" "0"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-1"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "SLI" "Off"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "MultiGPU" "Off"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TripleBuffer" "false"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "BaseMosaic" "off"
(**) Jan 17 20:50:33 NVIDIA(0): Stereo disabled by request
(**) Jan 17 20:50:33 NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA SLI disabled.
(**) Jan 17 20:50:33 NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA Multi-GPU disabled.
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "Coolbits" "1"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024 +0+0; 1024x768_60 +0+0; nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
(**) Jan 17 20:50:33 NVIDIA(0): Enabling 2D acceleration
(II) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (Samsung SyncMaster (CRT-1)) does not support NVIDIA
(II) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(GPU-0):     3D Vision stereo.
(II) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce GT 520 (GF119) at PCI:2:0:0 (GPU-0)
(--) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): Memory: 1048576 kBytes
(--) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 75.19.1b.00.01
(II) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
(--) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): Valid display device(s) on GeForce GT 520 at PCI:2:0:0
(--) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0):     CRT-0
(--) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0):     Samsung SyncMaster (CRT-1) (boot, connected)
(--) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0):     DFP-0
(--) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0):     DFP-1
(--) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): CRT-0: 400.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): Samsung SyncMaster (CRT-1): 400.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): DFP-0: 330.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): DFP-0: Internal Single Link TMDS
(--) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): DFP-1: 165.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): DFP-1: Internal Single Link TMDS
(**) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): Using HorizSync/VertRefresh ranges from the EDID for display
(**) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0):     device Samsung SyncMaster (CRT-1) (Using EDID frequencies
(**) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0):     has been enabled on all display devices.)
(II) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): Validated MetaModes:
(II) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0):     "1280x1024+0+0"
(II) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0):     "1024x768_60+0+0"
(II) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select+0+0"
(II) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1280 x 1024
(++) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (96, 96); computed from -dpi X commandline option
(**) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): Enabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals.
(--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
(II) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA: Using 3072.00 MB of virtual memory for indirect memory
(II) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA:     access.
(II) Jan 17 20:50:34 NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1280x1024+0+0"
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX
(==) NVIDIA(0): Disabling shared memory pixmaps
(==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled
(==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled
(II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
(II) Loading extension XINERAMA
(--) RandR disabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
(II) Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
(II) Initializing built-in extension SYNC
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
(II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
SELinux: Disabled on system, not enabling in X server
(II) Initializing extension GLX
(II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event2)
(**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
(II) LoadModule: "evdev"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
(II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
	compiled for 1.7.6.901, module version = 2.3.2
	Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
	ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0
(**) Power Button: always reports core events
(**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
(II) Power Button: Found keys
(II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event1)
(**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
(**) Power Button: always reports core events
(**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event1"
(II) Power Button: Found keys
(II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) config/udev: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard (/dev/input/event0)
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
(**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event0"
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Found keys
(II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) config/udev: Adding input device ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse (/dev/input/event4)
(**) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
(**) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: always reports core events
(**) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event4"
(II) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: Found 9 mouse buttons
(II) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: Found scroll wheel(s)
(II) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: Found relative axes
(II) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: Found x and y relative axes
(II) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: Configuring as mouse
(**) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse: initialized for relative axes.
(II) config/udev: Adding input device ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
(II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
(II) config/udev: Adding input device PC Speaker (/dev/input/event3)
(II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
(II) config/udev: Adding input device ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device (/dev/input/event5)
(**) ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
(**) ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device: always reports core events
(**) ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device: Device: "/dev/input/event5"
(II) ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device: Found keys
(II) ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) Jan 17 20:51:08 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (Samsung SyncMaster (CRT-1)) does not support NVIDIA
(II) Jan 17 20:51:08 NVIDIA(GPU-0):     3D Vision stereo.
(**) Jan 17 20:51:08 NVIDIA(0): Using HorizSync/VertRefresh ranges from the EDID for display
(**) Jan 17 20:51:08 NVIDIA(0):     device Samsung SyncMaster (CRT-1) (Using EDID frequencies
(**) Jan 17 20:51:08 NVIDIA(0):     has been enabled on all display devices.)
(II) Jan 17 20:51:35 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (Samsung SyncMaster (CRT-1)) does not support NVIDIA
(II) Jan 17 20:51:35 NVIDIA(GPU-0):     3D Vision stereo.
(**) Jan 17 20:51:35 NVIDIA(0): Using HorizSync/VertRefresh ranges from the EDID for display
(**) Jan 17 20:51:35 NVIDIA(0):     device Samsung SyncMaster (CRT-1) (Using EDID frequencies
(**) Jan 17 20:51:35 NVIDIA(0):     has been enabled on all display devices.)
(II) Jan 17 23:35:02 NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (Samsung SyncMaster (CRT-1)) does not support NVIDIA
(II) Jan 17 23:35:02 NVIDIA(GPU-0):     3D Vision stereo.
(**) Jan 17 23:35:02 NVIDIA(0): Using HorizSync/VertRefresh ranges from the EDID for display
(**) Jan 17 23:35:02 NVIDIA(0):     device Samsung SyncMaster (CRT-1) (Using EDID frequencies
(**) Jan 17 23:35:02 NVIDIA(0):     has been enabled on all display devices.)
MEPIS 11 64-bit, MSI P6NGM-L motherboard, Core 2 Quad 9400 2.67 GHz, 4 GiB PC2-5300 RAM, 1 GiB nVidia GT520 on PCI Express x16.

zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#15 Post by zeeone » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:33 am

For a flat panel the refresh rate is 60 Hz, 75 Hz is for a CRT. ;)
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

qtech
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#16 Post by qtech » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Well, there is absolutely nothing evident in Xorg that looks to be a problem. I was going to suggest that you use sgfxi to revert your system to clean, original factory settings (figuratively speaking) and then install, preferably, the nvidia driver that you had originally. But a flawless Xorg log is generally a good thing.

Have you tried playing around with settings in the nvidia-settings gui (adjust performance vs quality)? I can't help you much here because I have recently switched to an ATI card (for the first time in 8 years). I'm also thinking you might try turning off open-gl (System Settings >Desktop Effects > Advanced > Compositing Type) and see how the system does on Xrender. Or try OpenGl with desktop effects disabled. We're looking for clues. Oh, and maybe check the video card's temperatures while in nvdia-settings (longshot here, but better to be sure).

Or, back to plan A, nuke and rebuild. Your call.

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Post by kmathern » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:21 pm

Silent Observer wrote:

Kernel command line: root=/dev/sdb7 nomce quiet splash vga=788 xdrvr=nvidia confx
It might not make any difference, but I would remove the xdrvr=nvidia confx cheats (I'm guessing that they are probably in your menu.lst) and then run 'sgfxi -z' to get sgfxi's version of the xorg.conf file.

When you have the xdrvr=nvidia confx cheats in menu.lst, a new xorg.conf gets created on every boot up. So you would lose any fixes or tweaks you might have previously made to xorg.conf (either manually or from using something like nvidia-settings). The cheats should really only be used as one time thing when needed, not all the time.

qtech
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#18 Post by qtech » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:58 pm

kmathern wrote: When you have the xdrvr=nvidia confx cheats in menu.lst, a new xorg.conf gets created on every boot up. So you would lose any fixes or tweaks you might have previously made to xorg.conf (either manually or from using something like nvidia-settings). The cheats should really only be used as one time thing when needed, not all the time.
Thank you. I was thinking along those line as well but couldn't determine the purpose of the cheat. It seems to be rather obscure.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#19 Post by lucky9 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:09 pm

Another tool is System Monitor. If the slowness is occurring then open it and see what's using CPU cycles.
I had one (I don't remember what it was), one time that could hog 50-to-100%. Once stopped, my Desktop being set to resume last setup, things straightened right out.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Silent Observer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#20 Post by Silent Observer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:15 pm

Sorry to be so slow replying on this -- had a mild heart attack early Monday morning the 20th, then triple bypass surgery on the 24th and came home from the hospital yesterday (29th) and been sleeping a lot; that seems to be receding now and I'm getting more able to read and type on my computer.

System monitor was the first thing I wanted to try, but during the "slow recovery period" there's no response to any input I've tried -- mouse clicks, CTL-ESC, etc., until after the saver has cleared back to wallpaper and (if further delayed) returned the mouse cursor.

I hadn't ever caught that the xdrvr=nvidia confx was supposed to be a one-time get-it-running entry. I'll take it out right now and restart, then check nVidia setting. Speaking of nVidia, with GPU Powermizer set at "Adaptive" (and generally running at high speed, 405 MHz Graphics clock, due to constant demand for Einstein@home GPU jobs), my GPU core temp hovers at 105-106 C -- which it's been for as long as I've had this graphics card (around four years).

Okay, off to remove that months-old cheat code -- back shortly.

Hmmm... hard to remove a cheat code that isn't there. Here's my /boot/grub/menu.lst, entire:

timeout 10
color cyan/blue white/blue
foreground ffffff
background 0639a1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message

title MEPIS at sdb7, kernel 2.6.36-1-mepis64-smp
root (hd1,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.36-1-mepis64-smp root=/dev/sdb7 nomce quiet splash vga=788  nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.36-1-mepis64-smp
boot

title Windows NT/2000/XP at sda1
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

title MEPIS at sdb1, newest kernel
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 nomce quiet splash vga=788 nomodeset nouveau.modeset=0
initrd /boot/initrd.img

title MEMTEST
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
Where to look for where the kernel command line is getting that code when I'm not issuing it? BTW, that menu.lst hasn't changed since I got 64-bit up and running.

Return to “64-bit Newbies”