-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Repo Madness (or it is driving me mad)

For help or questions about 64-bit version of MEPIS, this is the forum to use.
muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Repo Madness (or it is driving me mad)

#1 Post by muskt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:13 am

I shall attempt to post this without whining; however, I'm afraid I may just break down & cry before I finish.

I just read the post by Danum about Firefox being in the repos (#325887)--There is something I can do, I think---WRONGO MOOSE BREATH!!!

I looked in the repos that are installed in my machine, & no Firefox. OK, to the web & search for Mepis 12 sources list. Found It--Yeah, Right.

Read the whole thing a couple of times & copied the recommended list and pasted it in both the debian.list and mepis.list--cuz that is what I think it said to do. Well, it didn't work. (Big Surprise, Right??) OK, I didn't make a backup copy--not the smartest plan, but I have a backup option. I have another exact install on another drive. Copy the 2 files from that drive and paste back into the drive that I messed up--Guess What??--Still doesn't work. That doesn't really surprise me, either. I have rarely been successful with modifying things--at least without some serious handholding from the knowledgeable folks here.

My frustration level is very high right now. I have frequently complained about the lack of documentation for Linux. Even the experts here repeatedly lament that the available documentation is all too often outdated or simply wrong. So, what is a newcomer/rookie to do?

I really desire to learn this OS. However, it is a lot like hitting your finger with a hammer--feels really good when you stop.

I am still having major difficulties with basics. I can't even understand some of the conversations--some of which go like this-----You need to recompile a PAE Colonel into the non-PAE atmosphere with a -\\f option followed by instituting a framework rebuild on the Heisenberg compensators. Exaggerating?? Of course, but none of this stuff seems to be written anywhere, or if it is, it is very well hidden--OK, I know--read the WIKI.

If one of you has the time (and inclination), would you please post a generic list of sources or repos for a vanilla install of Mepis 12 Beta 2 (11.9.92) 64, and the correct procedure for installing it/them into the directory structure. (In plain English, if you please)

Thank You,
Jerry in Anchorage

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Repo Madness (or it is driving me mad)

#2 Post by lucky9 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:15 am

Here is the correct sources.list: http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php? ... t_MEPIS_12

Go there and read the instructions. Then open Dolphin as su and navigate to /etc/apt/.

Code: Select all

All Mepis 12 alpha and beta releases up to and including the current (July 31, 2013) SimplyMEPIS-1.5G_11.9.91 (I'm pretty sure this applys to the x.92 release also) release use /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mepis.list fragment files instead of a more traditional /etc/apt/sources.list file. The recommendation at this time is to remove the fragment files and replace the existing /etc/apt/sources.list file with the list shown above.
(On the page I linked to)

You need Left click on the sources.list file and edit it. You can use Edit/Select All, then Click the Overwrite mode button. Then use Copy&Paste to select the sources.list given on the page I linked to and paste it in the sources.list file. Be sure and Click Save.

Then open Synaptic and Click Settings/Repositories. You need to enable the Mepis Community Repositories, including the testing one. Click OK.
Then Click Settings/Preferences. Click the Distribution Tab. Under Package upgrade behavior (default distribution) Click the Prefer versions from Radio Button. Select Prefer Mepis from the drop down list. Click Apply. Close that little window. Click the Synaptic Reload icon. You should find Firefox 26 now. Select it and install it. Disable both of the Mepis Community Repositories. Reload. Do not do a general upgrade with them enabled.

Questions? Ask here.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

muskt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#3 Post by muskt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:35 am

Thanks Lucky

I had not enabled the CRs--never knew to do that.

Once done (correctly), it worked as advertised.

I appreciate it

Jerry in Anchorage

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Post by Stevo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:02 pm

Though we do have FF 26.0 in the community repos, I think Danum meant the Tanglu Linux repositories, judging from the context in the threads.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#5 Post by lucky9 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:51 pm

No need to complicate things that much. At least I didn't think it was necessary.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

loco
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#6 Post by loco » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:25 pm

great op :rofl:...
Stevo wrote:Though we do have FF 26.0 in the community repos, I think Danum meant the Tanglu Linux repositories, judging from the context in the threads.
yep,

that's the one i ended up with. still have your gimp and mtp files which work a special treat along with 3.12 64bit kernel on other install ;) to name a few (just can't seem to attain/acquire your vlc), snap!
keep up the great work guys :number1:.
:beach: easy...
Screenshot_t.jpg
link... couldn't refrain :)

7" mini tablet, 2013 nexux, unlocked, rooted upgraded to 4.4.2 kinda stock, but stripped of many 'services' huge thanks to, and 'go fdroid'.

we also adopted an ipad 4, but it pretty much/kinda just sits on the counter in it's case :smiley2:.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “64-bit Newbies”