Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Running Mepis on either VirtualBox or VMware Workstation

Here you can post threads/topics about programs like vmware, parallels, qemu, virtualbox, dosbox and all the other virtual machines/emulators that exist. This includes how to setup, suggestions on what works well with MEPIS and what doesn't, etc.
Pastor Ron
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Running Mepis on either VirtualBox or VMware Workstation

#1 Postby Pastor Ron » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Well, I'm back on my computer on this forum after quite a lengthy absence. It's been one eye surgery after another, but I'm able to see better now.

Warren and I tried for quite a while to get Mepis installed on this computer, but there just wasn't any success.

After nearly two years, I want to attempt running Mepis again; this time I'm willing to try VirtualBox or VMware Workstation. My son-in-law installed both of them on my HP Pavilion p7-1235 desktop yesterday. I know how to create virtual machines in both of them. Is there a vm for Mepis which can be run in either of the apps I mentioned?

What would be the best way to run Mepis on this persnickety Windows UEFI machine?

I'm running Windows 7, btw.

joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Running Mepis on either VirtualBox or VMware Workstation

#2 Postby joany » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:21 pm

I'm not aware of any MEPIS VMs that are pre-packaged for VirtualBox or VMware. I'd recommend just installing MEPIS directly from the Live DVD iso file on your HDD. With VirtualBox, this is dead simple. Just set up a blank Linux VM using Debian as the default. Provide about 15GB or so of storage and as much memory as you can allocate without starving the host OS. Align the IDE controller of the virtual machine to the Live DVD iso that is saved on your HDD, marking it bootable, and start the VM. After the Live DVD completes booting, execute the installer as if you were installing it on your computer's hardware. Bear in mind that the performance of a VM is nowhere as good as an actual installation. Also, your peripherals may not work as intended.

Looking at the big picture, I'd encourage you to move on to another OS. MEPIS development has ceased and I'd give MX a try. I don't know how to install MX on UEFI machines, but I'm pretty sure it can be done. You'll get plenty of help from this forum. If it's xfce that's holding you back and you'd prefer KDE, it's not at all difficult to install KDE on top of MX.
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#3 Postby lucky9 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby Stevo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:32 pm

We should be able to add the latest versions of Bibletime and Xiphos to the community repo, too. The Jessie Xiphos build has a problem, where no one can open Preferences, but we have a fix for that already ;)

Pastor Ron
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#5 Postby Pastor Ron » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:34 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. I can hardly wait to get back into a Linux world; it's been years. I can do nothing but give Warren and this community the highest marks for trying to get Linux installed on my HP UEFI machine. I can't imagine us not trying everything under the sun except buying a computer with Linux pre-installed!

Return to “VMs/Emulators”