-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Where is Wine?

Here you can post threads/topics about programs like vmware, parallels, qemu, virtualbox, dosbox and all the other virtual machines/emulators that exist. This includes how to setup, suggestions on what works well with MEPIS and what doesn't, etc.
mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Where is Wine?

#11 Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:01 am

I checked a fresh MX14-2 install I have in a VM @ work to see how much of wine came by default and there was none. So I installed the 'wine' package and then ran wineconfig and wineconfig barked that it needed mono libs to function correctly. There was no 'mono' package but a lot of mono-u-name-its in synaptic. Not knowing which mono I should select, I figured selecting monodevelop ought to bring in with it all the mono libs it needed. But after monodevelop was installed, I still see many mono-u-name-its not installed in the list.

Well, wineconfig no longer asks for mono parts but I suspect I'm missing some mono-parts now.

This is the kind of tail-chasing by me that makes these forums and your responses so important.

Off to figure out which mono-uname-its I need for a complete mono install.

BTW - wineconfig reports supporting up to win-8 after the straight wine install. no netflix-desktop install this time/yet.
LT: MX17.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 4.16.0-12.1-liquorix-amd64 (64 bit)
DT: Intel(R) Core i5-3.1GHz Kernel~3.9-1-mepis64 x86_64

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#12 Post by Stevo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:12 am

Actually, wine was asking for permission to download and install its own version of mono. It's not necessary to run the great majority of programs, so when you hit "cancel", it quit asking for it, until the next wine update. You still don't have it installed, but don't need it except for .NET programs.

Some distros package it separately as "wine-mono" or "libwine-mono", so that download box never appears. Tim & I discussed packaging it, but since the wine mono downloader works well, and we have lots of other packaging work that's more urgent, we set it aside. There's a conflict between some users that don't want "useless cruft" clogging up their lean, mean system (your stereotypical grumpy Debian expert), and those that want everything installed ahead of time, including the kitchen sink.
Last edited by Stevo on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#13 Post by lucky9 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:18 am

The mx-package-installer is the way to go for this as I understand things. It's under System (System/MX Package Installer/Misc) in the Whisker Menu. I've also read that you can mark netflix (under Video in the Package Installer) and get Wine in the bargain.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#14 Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:52 am

I knew about the MX-Codex installer, what a great idea! And I just got nudged into checking out the MX-package installer, another terrific idea.

Who do I beg to get mondevelop & GTK & kdenLive as picks?
LT: MX17.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 4.16.0-12.1-liquorix-amd64 (64 bit)

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#15 Post by Stevo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Mono develop is not necessary for Wine, but if you wish to get the Mono development environment, find out what packages are required and let Adrian know. I'm not sure what you mean by GTK. The GTK+2 libraries are installed by default with MX, since xfce4 runs on top of those libraries. Did you mean some kind of IDE for GTK+ 2?

mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#16 Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:36 pm

I didn't think monodevelop needed wine or visa, versa. I just have several programs I'm currently installing and investing time into learning and one is monodevelop that needs several mono lib packages to run and the gtk2 & gtk-sharp2 or something like that which is the GUI builder for c# apps. I've learned some c# and want to program on linux so mono & monodevelop seem to fit that bill. I haven't sorted much of it out because I think mono and GTK are up to version 3? I believe the gtk packages are what allow me to select and build c# form applications. I've only been able to get it all installed on a couple other distros and not entirely on MX yet.

Then I wanted to start making tutorial movies and kdenlive seems to be able to handle that.

None of these are listed in the MX-Package installer.

I was wondering who I needed to beg/bribe whatever it takes to get them listed in the MX package installer. I realize I am a novice and the packaging guys probably have lots of other stuff to work on. Just figured I'd ask.

mike

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#17 Post by Stevo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:01 pm

GTK+ 2 is what GNOME, xfce, lxde, GIMP, Firefox all are built on, and it uses C++. What you are talking about are ways for C# to use the prebuilt GTK widget libraries for the GUI, rather than reinventing the wheel. Python-gtk works much the same way to use GTK GUIs for Python apps. All I know is that there about a zillion mono-cil packages in the repositories, but I don't know which ones you need.

That's about as far as my knowledge goes. Adrian here develops the MX applications using QT 4 development tools, which also use C++.

The Debian forums do have a separate Programming section that probably would be able to give you better answers than I can.

I looked at the upstream version of Monodevelop 4 that's in Debian testing, and it may not be practical to backport it to the stable Debian base that we use for MX. Even if possible, it looks like a lot of work...maybe running Debian testing or AntiX in a separate install or virtual machine would be an easier way to get the newer version.

Just PM Adrian for requests about what to add to the meta-installer. Openshot is another good video editor that's much like kdenlive. Have you checked out the new simplescreenrecorder 0.3 in the testing MEPIS community repo? That works really well for screencasts.

mmikeinsantarosa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#18 Post by mmikeinsantarosa » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:35 am

thanks again for the pointers.

Off to delve and try a few new graphic tools and sites.

m

Return to “VMs/Emulators”