News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Mx Linux Compatible Software for CCTV Cameras

wolf1234
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Mx Linux Compatible Software for CCTV Cameras

Post by wolf1234 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:10 am

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 2700 8 core, 16 thread
Memory: 32gb Flarex
GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX660
SYSTEM DRIVE: WD Black 500gb NVME
STORAGE DRIVE: WD Blue 2TB
Backup Drive: WD Enterprise 4TB

New to Mx-Linux. Am looking for fairly simple software to monitor and record security cameras at my place of business. Have been using Windows-compatible packages for years, but presently switching most of my home PCs to Linux (MX-Linux on one machine Linux Mint 19 on another... to compare). Checked out a few videos on different remote CCTV packages and found that the easiest ones are limited to Windoze (aaarrrgh!). ZoneMinder (which does work under Linux) looks WAY too involved and user-unfriendly. Not sure where to go beyond that. I have all analog cameras installed that have been up and running for years. Presently using the NVMS7000 viewing interface which only opens under Windoze; I definitely want to transition out of that. Any suggestions would be more than appreciated.
Last edited by wolf1234 on Wed May 08, 2019 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

AK-47
Developer

Re: Mx Linux Compatible Software for CCTV Cameras

Post by AK-47 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:20 am

If the DVR is visible over the network, it's possible the software you have may run in WINE as well. I notice a lot of DVRs that have network access have web UIs as well that work under Firefox/Chrome.
MX Linux 18.3 - Panasonic CF-30 - 3GB RAM - 160GB HDD - Core 2 Duo

wolf1234
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by wolf1234 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:51 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I did see a few sites mentioning the Wine application as a go-between. But I also heard that Wine makes a Linux machine as vulnerable to viruses and malware as a Windows machine. (?)

AK-47
Developer

Post by AK-47 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:33 am

I guess it depends on how you use it. Many rootkits and malware that rely on Windows kernel operations won't work in WINE. All 32-bit flavours of Windows have something called NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS machine), but for some reason MS-DOS viruses don't affect Windows. OS/2 had Windows emulation built into it, yet it somehow managed to remain virus-free to the point where banks were using it in their ATMs. But it's easy to infect any PC with malware if you try hard enough. :)

I probably should have asked earlier, but what brand of DVR are you using? A lot of them now have a web interface for viewing the cameras and setting them up.

wolf1234
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by wolf1234 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:24 pm

It's an LTS Platinum 4 channel DVR, and yes it does have a web interface (Doh!). Never thought of that since I've always used the desktop app. I'll try it out now and see if it's workable. Thanks AK-47.

wolf1234
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by wolf1234 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 am

A week later: Well... tried the LTS Platinum network interface over and over, can't even get it to work with Windoze (which it was built for). Keeps erroring out because of a fault where it needs to see Explorer to enable a necessary download. I might be able to rig a work-around and fool it into thinking that Firefox is Explorer, but that would not fix my ultimate problem. Even if I got this to work on Windoze, I don't think the network interface would be an option for Linux (because of that download (I could be wrong)). Gonna try using WINE on Mint instead and installing the desktop app in a WINE bottle. If anybody is experiencing a similar situation I will post my results.

AK-47
Developer

Post by AK-47 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 am

I wonder if the LTS Platinum web UI is using an ActiveX control of some sort. You can find extensions that change the user agent string and see if that works perhaps.

wolf1234
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by wolf1234 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:06 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that. Tried to get the LTS desktop app to work with WINE. It just sat there for 30 mins not opening, so I restarted the computer. Now my NVIDIA GTX660 video card refuses to load my desktop after re-booting unless I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it in again. Don't know what that's all about, but fixing that has taken priority.

AK-47
Developer

Post by AK-47 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:38 am

Does your TV or monitor have a DVI input? Looks like your card has two DVI connectors.

Which version of wine did you install? I would recommend wine-staging for this application. I have heard good things about the paid version, CrossOver, but I haven't tried it myself.

wolf1234
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by wolf1234 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:12 pm

It was WINE 32 bit version 2.47 (?) I believe, installed it from the current MX package list. I uninstalled it and all the Microsoft C++ that went with it. Video card still acting up, though. And yeah the card has 2 DVI out ports but my budget 32 inch monitor only supports HDMI and VGA. If Crossover works I'll be happy to pay for it. Really tired of having to switch over to the Windows machine to see what's going on at my business (a bar, so I need to keep an eye on things from time to time).

Update: 20 minutes later: Fixed my video card problem. It was something I added to the xorg config file to try and address screen-tearing. I killed that and now my desktop comes right back up at logon. (Back to screen-tearing though)...Anyway, I will check out Crossover and see if I can get the LTS desktop app to work with it. Might be a few days.

Return to “Forum How-to's”