-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Thanks and Reputation

richb
Administrator

Thanks and Reputation

#1 Post by richb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:48 am

The reputation feature has been disabled.

Thanks and Reputation

There are two ways to give gratitude to a user for a post, using thanks or reputation. They are different and not connected. You are encouraged to use these features thoughtfully.

Thanks

Thanks for a post is given by clicking on the yellow thumbs up icon at the bottom right of the users post you want to thank. Thanks do not add to reputation points. Thanks can also be removed.

1, In the thanked post a list of those thanking is shown at the bottom of the post.
2. In the post authors block information, the number of thanks received and the number of thanks given are shown. Clicking the numbers will show a list of the posts involved.
3.In the users profile, a complete list of thanks information. including number of thanks and which posts a user received thanks for will be displayed. The maximum number of thanks shown is 100.
4. There is no limit on the number of thanks given or received.

Reputation is given by clicking the plus sign green icon in the user information block at the left of a post. Bad reputation can also be given by clicking the thumbs down red icon.

1. The minimum time passed before users are allowed to give another reputation point is 2 hours.
2. You must give reputation to 5 others before giving reputation to the same user.
3. In the users control panel, the last 5 reputation points given are displayed.
4. One green block in the user information panel represents 500 reputation points. The maximum number of reputation blocks displayed is 36. However the maximum number of reputation points a user can receive is 50000. The minimum negative reputation a user can receive is -5000.
5. When reputation is given, a comment block pops up where you can explain why you are giving reputation. This can be dismissed with no comment.
6. Reputation power is given once you have 100 posts. You will gain one reputation power for every 100 posts. The maximum reputation power is 5.

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

Re: Thanks and Reputation

#2 Post by arjaybe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:23 pm

6. Reputation power is given once you have 100 posts. You will gain one reputation power for every 100 posts. The maximum reputation power is 5.
Does this mean that one reputation click by a person with more than 500 posts will add 5 reputation points? Is that how the scores get so high?
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

Maybe he will grow into the job.

Green Comet

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:27 pm

arjaybe wrote:
Does this mean that one reputation click by a person with more than 500 posts will add 5 reputation points? Is that how the scores get so high?
No. Those with 500 points and more will add 5 points to rep when they click the rep icon. Number of posts does not add to rep just rep power.
Last edited by richb on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

arjaybe
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#4 Post by arjaybe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:38 pm

richb wrote:
arjaybe wrote:
No. Those with 500 points and more will add 5 points to rep when they click the rep icon. Number of posts does not add to rep just rep power.
Yeah, that's what I meant.-)
Intel Celeron 1007U with integrated HD Graphics 2500, 4GB RAM

Maybe he will grow into the job.

Green Comet

richb
Administrator

#5 Post by richb » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:59 pm

@arjaybe

OK. You threw me by asking if that is if that is why scores get so high, Five points is not all that much, considering that 20 clicks of rep by a user with greater than 500 points will only yield 100 rep points. And the time limit helps keep rep from going up unreasonably for a user by the same user. The high points you see were earned on the old ML forum.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Brooko
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Post by Brooko » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:29 pm

Important - Brooko's "guide" - on how I think it should be done ;)

If I see a helpful post, and want to acknowledge the user - I simply click the thanks button. It is an acknowledgment.

If the same post is the actual solution to the problem - I ALSO click the reputation button.

REASON : for new users - they are likely to rely in posts from posters with the most reputation for the best answer. By giving rep to the people who provide the answers you are:
- 'rewarding' the problem solver with rep
- providing an easy visual guide to probably the most optimum solution providers

You can give thanks and rep for the same post under this new system. Use it wisely. And don't forget the rep to those who provide the solutions.
Desktop - Win 8-64 : Corsair 520HX, P5Q Pro, Q6600 G0 @ 3Ghz, 4Gb DDR2 1066, Asus GTX560 OC, 3xWD 500Gb Sata2, Asus CD/DVD, Logitech Wave Kb, G5, C300 Cam, Audio-gd NFB-12 + LD MKIV + GigaWorks T20.
Netbook - Ubuntu 12.04 64b, Asus 1015PED 2Gb Ram

jimwilk
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#7 Post by jimwilk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Thanks Brooko,
I just thanked you and gave you a reputation point for that explanation

Jim

RLA
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#8 Post by RLA » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:53 pm

:confused: At fist read this seemed to be a rather over designed thanky system. Makes more sense on the second pass through......I think.

If I got this right ..... richb gets a big thanks for posting the detailed workings of the system ... And, Brooko gets a plunk on the reputation button for providing the philosophy behind the system.

Don't know where the negative reputation comes in ..... I tend to just ignore less than useful posts.

Anyway .... nice work there richb and Brooko. ;)

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#9 Post by Dieselrider » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:34 am

Brooko wrote:Important - Brooko's "guide" - on how I think it should be done ;)

If I see a helpful post, and want to acknowledge the user - I simply click the thanks button. It is an acknowledgment.

If the same post is the actual solution to the problem - I ALSO click the reputation button.

REASON : for new users - they are likely to rely in posts from posters with the most reputation for the best answer. By giving rep to the people who provide the answers you are:
- 'rewarding' the problem solver with rep
- providing an easy visual guide to probably the most optimum solution providers

You can give thanks and rep for the same post under this new system. Use it wisely. And don't forget the rep to those who provide the solutions.

This isn't always the case though. I am a bit confused on the rep button. I tried the last several threads I have had to give rep points but, it comes back with a message saying I need to spread the points around and that I can't give all rep points to the same person. The problem is, I have tried to spread the points around and haven't been giving the points to any one person. Even if I have given rep points to just a few is only because those are the guys /gals that have responded to my threads with help. What is the secret with the rep points? It seems that if only a few people are actually helping someone, shouldn't they be the ones getting the rep points? The having to give rep points to at least five different people before giving a second one to someone seems a bit funky.

PhantomTramp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#10 Post by PhantomTramp » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:15 am

I LOVE green stamps. I've been lusting for that new wireless Tesla toaster.

;)

The Tramp

Return to “Forum How-to's”