News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.2 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Can't read superblock

texchuck
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Can't read superblock

Post by texchuck » Wed May 15, 2019 10:26 am

I am running MX16 or 17 on a HP Pavilion and have used Mepis/MX for years. When I was using VLC media player yesterday to review some camera files, the screen locked up (cursor worked, but all windows were frozen). I finally decided to shut down the maching and reboot. When I did so, my primary data partition didn't mount. I decided to look in GParted to see if that would provide insight. The partition is 788 GB formatted with ext4 and mounted as "/media/home". I tired to get GParted to mount the partition (/dev/sda6), but got the message, "can't read superblock."

I am probably toast, but thought I would see if the gurus might have a solution other than starting over. Most of the data has been backed up, but some recent work would be lost. I note that GParted offers an option to "Attempt Data Rescue" that I might try if I can get gpart to install, possibly from a live DVD boot (synaptic doesn't seem to like the current status).

Anyway, are there any options other than to punt?

Many thanks!

gosia
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Re: Can't read superblock

Post by gosia » Wed May 15, 2019 11:04 am

Hello texchuck,
try

Code: Select all

e2fsck -p /dev/sdX
but do not mount /dev/sdX

"Automatically repair ("preen") the file system. This option will cause e2fsck to automatically fix any filesystem problems that can be safely fixed without human intervention. If e2fsck discovers a problem which may require the system administrator to take additional corrective action, e2fsck will print a description of the problem and then exit with the value 4 logically or'ed into the exit code."

Code: Select all

man efsck
many greetings gosia

mxer
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by mxer » Wed May 15, 2019 11:16 am

..& if that doesn't work, take a look at replacing the corrupted super block.

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/recover-b ... partition/
(FOSS, Linux, & BSD since 1999)

texchuck
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

Post by texchuck » Wed May 15, 2019 7:09 pm

:happy: gosla and mxer. You guys are amazing! I went from toast to back on-the-air. e2fsck identified the problem but didn't repair it. The link provided by mxer did the trick.

Many, many thanks!

Return to “Forum How-to's”